The One 'Do I Buy This', 'What Do I Buy', 'I'm Looking For' Thread

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
You can pick up an Acer 10" A500 new for $299 and it would meet your needs, plus there is a huge support community right here if you run into any difficulties.

DavidSKi

Mar 22, 2012
lol 300$ out of the back of what van?

i the only places i saw that had it for under 350 said it was discontinued.

any other ideas?

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
DavidSKi said:
lol 300$ out of the back of what van?

i the only places i saw that had it for under 350 said it was discontinued.

any other ideas?

Newegg.com has them in stock for $294.99

Edit: My mistake, newegg is refurbished unit. My local Target had them on clearance for $299 a few days ago, might be worth checking.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2012
Alright I've narrowed down my choices to two. I'm stuck trying to decide between the Asus Transformer Prime and the Galaxy Tab 10.1, does anyone have any suggestions on which way I should go?

torturedsoul

Dec 31, 2011
I'm having a hard time deciding on a tablet... I've also been waiting so see new tablets.

Here is what I'm looking for:

7" screen
Dual core
Android 4.0
IPS display
1024x600
Google Market

cbill

Nov 11, 2011
Nico:
go to www.newegg.com and look at their recertified tablets. The Asus Transformer (101 or 102) is one of the best for the money at their special price which includes free dock. This is a rare opportunity to get a top quality tablet a great price. It will upgrade to Android 4.0 immediately. The price this morning was $314. The dock alone is worth over $120.

Cbill

dyjodapa

Mar 25, 2012
1) I will be using the tablet for GPS away from wifi, must be able to play games, and be able to run Pykl3 Radar.
2) $450
3) 7-12 inches.
4) I am fine with Android think it is great.
5) US

Here are the tablets I am looking at any other tablets are welcome:

[h=1]ASUS Transformer TF101-A1 10.1-Inch Tablet: Amazon.com: ASUS Transformer TF101-A1 10.1-Inch Tablet (Dock Sold Separately): Computers & Accessories[/h]

[h=1]MOTOROLA XOOM Android Tablet (10.1-Inch, 32GB, Wi-Fi): Amazon.com: MOTOROLA XOOM Android Tablet (10.1-Inch, 32GB, Wi-Fi): Computers & Accessories[/h]
[h=1]Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus 32GB (Dual Core, Universal Remote, WiFi): Amazon.com: Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus 32GB (Dual Core, Universal Remote, WiFi): Computers & Accessories[/h]
[h=1]Acer Iconia A510-10s32u 10.1-Inch Tablet (Olympic Edition-Silver): Amazon.com: Acer Iconia A510-10s32u 10.1-Inch Tablet (Olympic Edition-Silver): Computers & Accessories[/h]

DavidSKi

Mar 22, 2012
cbill, great find except the asus doesnt come with usb ports? or does it, i didnt see any on the spec sheet. the keyboard has usb, but if i wants a clamshell id get an asus netbook.

DavidSKi

Mar 22, 2012
rofl... it looks like the asus does have usb... its a 30 pin to usb for recharging. i bet it can sync using that cord

JimReid

Mar 1, 2012
I have an Asus Eee Pad Slider (SL101) internally the same as the TF101 but has a hidden keyboard included. Yes, it has a USB. Has a separate cord for charging and data transfer. Good for GPS but you need to have a wifi, I use a wifi hotspot on my phone to connect my slider to the internet. Any questions on my slider drop me a line.

Hope this helps.

Jim

Acorna

Mar 24, 2012
Hi Guys

Any advice appreciated.

USE: Viewing photos via USB or SD Card, UK TV via iPlayer etc, Internet Browsing, Kindle
PRICE: Under £200, preferably under £150
EXPERIENCE: Little Android but PC literate
SIZE: Preferably 10", Keyboard preferred but not essential.

Important: UK TV either in the UK, direct, or overseas via VPN is essential.

Regards
Ray

STpacific

Apr 2, 2012
Hi guys,

My local retailer finally got a new shipment of Transformer Primes, but I'm wondering now if I should just wait through Q2 2012 until it's successor (Infinity 700) is released?

My only real sticking point is the price - if the Transformer Prime is going to stay around $499 after the release of it's successor then I'd be okay with having a marginally less powerful device.

Do any of you remember what happened to the price of the original transformer during the transformer prime release?