Timeout / auto shutdown?

tabletdown

Nov 16, 2011
What's the setting on the Vizio Tablet? Mine seems to be shut all the way down anytime it sits for more than 30 minutes - an hour idle.

Is this normal, does anyone know if its a setting that can be changed? If you leave your tablet on standby, is it still on when you come back or do you need to cold boot (30 secs or so w/ the loading screen) before it can be used?

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Check settings-> display

Sent from my gTablet using Android Tablet Forum

SEMIJim

Aug 20, 2011
What's the setting on the Vizio Tablet? Mine seems to be shut all the way down anytime it sits for more than 30 minutes - an hour idle.
That's something Vizio broke, in the opinion of many--myself included, with the last update. It didn't used to do that.

To add insult-to-injury: It seems random. Highly random. I've seen it shut completely down in less than an hour while sitting right next to me at home, other times it's gone for hours and not done so. I've had it shut completely down while on the charger. Furthermore, since that last update, the wake-up/power-up button is erratic. Sometimes, when it's merely sleeping, a short press wakes it right up--like it used to do reliably. Other times I have to long-press the button, as if it'd shut down completely.

In fact: That last update broke a lot of things. My screen is randomly less responsive. Single-taps on main menu icons sometimes bring up the menu that gives you the choice of adding/removing/deleting the app. The wireless has greater trouble making a connection and sometimes won't do so for an extended period.

I'd say it was my tablet, but my wife's is doing the same things since that last update. If my tablet had worked like this when I first got it, it'd have gone back in a heartbeat. Sometimes its erratic behaviour becomes so frustrating I feel like flinging the thing across the room
hot.gif

Jim

Jtpboy

Sep 19, 2011
I too was irritated by that behavior and I believe someone posted to set your wifi to never sleep and that fixes it. That is how I have made me set along with display set to never sleep and many mine seems to stay awake now.

Sent from my VTAB1008 using Android Tablet Forum

SEMIJim

Aug 20, 2011
I too was irritated by that behavior and I believe someone posted to set your wifi to never sleep and that fixes it. That is how I have made me set along with display set to never sleep and many mine seems to stay awake now.
Unfortunately that makes worse the issue that Vizio was trying to make better with their apparently ill-conceived and ill-implemented "improvement."

Jim

marvin02

Aug 25, 2011
Unfortunately that makes worse the issue that Vizio was trying to make better with their apparently ill-conceived and ill-implemented "improvement."

Jim

Jim,

What issue are you talking about? (just wondering)

I set the WiFi sleep policy to never on all of my Android devices and haven't seen it effecting battery life.

I also use Unlock with WiFi (free version) to turn the lock screen on our VTAB off when it is connected to our home network.

Our VTAB using those settings/apps does not shutdown (not tested "on the road").

pgarne01

Jan 30, 2012
My problem is the other way around .. .. when I try to shut the tablet down, it begins to cycle throught the "five dots" winddown but then hangs and won't completely shut down. Press & hold on the power button usually completes the shutdown but on occasion I've turned it back on to find the battery dead and once when I plugged it into the charger, the "stuck" shutdown screen came up.

Any similar experience(s)? Suggestions? Hints?

Thanks,
Pete