Touchsquid

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Touchsquid? no thanks they are slimey ;)

I don't have anything to add. Unfortunately with the update that broke root Vizio pretty much killed the developer community so there aren't a lot of people trying things like this. Not sure how possible it would be even with an active developer community if Vizio doesn't release info about the IR blaster. That is really too bad because IR blaster tablets could be awesome remotes with the right software (not the junk that come on it).

sdspieg

Sep 11, 2011
Hmmm. This whole 'closed model' that (some) companies keep sticking to really is just beyond comprehension. If they 'opened' it up (like the IR blaster driver), they'd have a hit hands down. But so now they put money in their own proprietary (and indeed totally mediocre) remote control app, instead of allowing the developer community (or a company like touchsquid) to do sthg really cool with it. Same with all the other stuff - like all the apps that Vizio seems to be blocking for reasons that just escape me. Isn't there ANYTHING we can do about this? Because the hardware on this tablet actually isn't half bad - I'm still often impressed with the sound that comes out of this thing. Now it's not like this was a big commercial success (I guess), so what prevents them from releasing the code?

-Stephan

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I think they aren't releasing the code because this is basically beta hardware. Vizio was testing the tablet waters before deciding to focus on laptops and all in one pcs. Once they get those up and running they will try the tablets again. They will keep this version pretty locked down and maybe play with the ICS upgrade but otherwise do nothing until they are ready to go forward with a true tablet line up.

sdspieg

Sep 11, 2011
I think they aren't releasing the code because this is basically beta hardware.
I wish somebody had told us that when we bought it. You know - a-la Google :p

Vizio was testing the tablet waters before deciding to focus on laptops and all in one pcs. Once they get those up and running they will try the tablets again. They will keep this version pretty locked down and maybe play with the ICS upgrade but otherwise do nothing until they are ready to go forward with a true tablet line up.
We'll see. In the meanwhile, it looks like Touchsquid was able to make its app work on the Samsung Galaxy Tabs (I didn't even know those HAD an IR-blaster!) Why would Samsung (surely a bigger player in the multimedia world than Vizio) be willing to release its code, and Vizio not!??! Isn't there anything we as users could do (collectively) to ask them to change that policy?

sdspieg

Sep 11, 2011
Following up: here is what the developpers of touchsquid replied when I asked them whether they could do for the Vizio what they had done for the Galaxy Tabs:

RE: Touchsquid app for Vizio
It may be possible. To make the Samsung work, I bought a Tab 2 (had to buy it in the US as they are not sold in Canada) and download the source published on Samsung's website. That was only part of the answer and quite few hours were spent figuring out the rest. In all it cost us about $2500 and we have not got that back in app sales. Yet.

So if Vizio gave us the source, it would still be questionable whether we should buy a Vizio and go through the same. We could probably make it work but it might not be good business unless Vizio helps out.
Squid Master

But from I gather from J515OP, that is not in the cards. Just a question though - are there THAT many IR-blaster components on the market? And isn't it likely that the Vizio uses the same one as those other tabs? Doesn't that then open some possibilities?

Also - what would Vizio stand to lose from sharing the code with these developpers? I presume these things work with non-disclosure agreements anyway,no?

And finally - if they ARE going to come out with a new tablet, wouldn't they want to have a better app for the RC? And would we then not also be able to get that upgrade?

I really don't know how these things work, and whether anybody from Vizio is even following these fora, but if they do, they must surely be aware that most of us want a USEFUL IR-app, and would even be willing to pay for it!

Cheers,

-Stephan

Last edited: