Uninstalled some apps but did not get any memory space back???

kumite4u

Nov 27, 2011
I'm a happy Iconia A500 owner. I've installed and uninstalled many apps, just to try them out. The most recent one was a huge memory hog, "Navit GPS". I tried it, didn't like it and uninstalled it. However, I've been noticing that when I uninstall apps I don't get any available memory back??? What's happening? Now I'm getting the "Low storage space" warning. How do I get my space back without doing a complete factory reset. Can anyone please help?

Last edited:

K9CHP

Aug 3, 2011
Try Apple Cache Cleaner from the market, it may do the needed job.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
@K9CHP: This is not a Cache Cleaner problem, its an Application Uninstall Problem. And why would you recommend anything from Apple?

@kumite4u: I've noticed this too, but you have to realize that the Memory shown under Storage is in Gigabytes, and the memory you recover from
deleting a app is usually in megabytes, and therefore will only show up in the last digit, if at all.

I had uninstalled two apps, and one made no change whatsoever. It was a 2meg app. Then I deleted a 20 meg app (Sprinkle Free) and it
showed the decrease in the Storage.

Before uninstalling an app, hit the Clear Data button, especially if it is a huge data user (games are often the worst chewing up lots of data space). That way you are sure the app does not leave its data behind, which a lot of them do, just in case you want to re-install.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
+1 On Icebike's comment.

Unless you are monitoring every Meg that you are installing and uninstaliing you are not going to notice much. Have you got the 16GB version or the 32GB?

My A500 has 32GB and with 48 apps installed - some at ~300 Mega - it has at total used space as 6.8 GB which includes apps, system and data (photos and docs). So I have plenty. However, if the 64GB MicroSD's become available I will be purchasing one to push total storage to 96GB. I've always believed that one can never have enough RAM.

I've deployed this attitude towards all my PCs.

Bigger is better - always.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
After uninstalling, especially if you are uninstalling a lot of apps or really need the data space I would reboot, can get rid of some remaining data and give you a more accurate idea of your free storage.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Tablet Forum

K9CHP

Aug 3, 2011
Icebike: it was supposed to be app cache cleaner. Thank you autocorrect... Yes, I'm using SwiftKey tablet but it isn't always foolproof.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

spexwood

May 11, 2011
I'm a happy Iconia A500 owner. I've installed and uninstalled many apps, just to try them out. The most recent one was a huge memory hog, "Navit GPS". I tried it, didn't like it and uninstalled it. However, I've been noticing that when I uninstall apps I don't get any available memory back??? What's happening? Now I'm getting the "Low storage space" warning. How do I get my space back without doing a complete factory reset. Can anyone please help?

I had this happen to me 3x when I first got my tablet. For me, it was a major bug in HC3.0. Cleading cache will not fix it. Plus, installing apps is not possible once this problem shows its ugly head.

The solution for removing the low memory warning is to perform a factory reset. Its annoying since all your apps will be deleted and you lose all your settings, etc.
If you don't do it though, you can save anything to your tablet (pics, movies, etc) or install apps. You tab will constantly think you are full on memory.

The solution, for me anyway, for preventing this stupid problem from ever happening again is to update your tablet to HC3.1 or higher. I am assuming that you are on 3.0 because I have never personally heard of this issue happening on devices running HC3.1 or above. On 3.0 though, it was a pretty common issue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Android Tablet Forum

Last edited:

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
I had this happen to me 3x when I first got my tablet. For me, it was a major bug in HC3.0. Cleading cache will not fix it. Plus, installing apps is not possible once this problem shows its ugly head.

The solution for removing the low memory warning is to perform a factory reset. Its annoying since all your apps will be deleted and you lose all your settings, etc.
If you don't do it though, you can save anything to your tablet (pics, movies, etc) or install apps. You tab will constantly think you are full on memory.

The solution, for me anyway, for preventing this stupid problem from ever happening again is to update your tablet to HC3.1 or higher. I am assuming that you are on 3.0 because I have never personally heard of this issue happening on devices running HC3.1 or above. On 3.0 though, it was a pretty common issue.

Well it can't be a problem with HC3.01 because my A500 came with that and did not have a problem.

spexwood

May 11, 2011
Well it can't be a problem with HC3.01 because my A500 came with that and did not have a problem.

It WAS a problem with 3.0.1, but with only some devices. After my first encounter, I looked it up online and tons of people were having the same problem, while others never even saw it even once. I even contacted Acer and they tlld me that it was a known problem. The 3.1 update even listed the problem as fixed too! (I forget exact wording, but it was something like "memory storage issues were fixed".

All I can say is that if Kumite is running 3.0.1, then he/she most definitely ran into the problem and needs to do what I said to fix it. If running 3.1 or later then its a different problem (factory reset will still fix it though).

Last edited: