idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
Thank you Shutter Peep.....Anima.
Gg

Sent from my LG-MS690 using Android Tablet Forum

moshe5368

Mar 13, 2011
@ gloria, I tried an Insignia usb speaker designed for labtops through a powered hub with no success. I find that a powered speaker set through the headset plug works very well.

@xpun, no success with webcams to date. I have tried cams from microsoft, logitech, and MI. In all cases, (through android terminal) dmesg correctly identified and assigned device ID's and pid's to the cams so I thought I was on a roll. It seems, however, that there is an issue with the webcam enabled apps. I tried yahoo messenger video chat, tango, fring, and ooVoo with no success. I could initiate a conversation but when I tried to start the cam, all the other person saw was a blank screen. There was no input from the cams. I'm pretty good at tinkering with hardware but I think I'll have to wait until someone with better software skills gets into this fight.
Overall, host mode gives me direct access to my digital photos so I can proof them before I leave a shoot and allows me to transfer photos from the camera to flash drives or sd cards which saves space on the nook. The nook's great screen gives me crisp, clear images I can work with. I can live without the webcam support until someone sharper than me fixes it.

Sent from my NexusOne using Tapatalk

moshe5368

Mar 13, 2011
@ shutter peep, all the flash drives I have tried worked well through a powered hub. Unpowered hubs or direct connection through the adapter seldom work. I had one exception with a PNY micro flash drive. This drive is all metal and about 1" long, unfolds to about 1.75". I tried every flash drive I could find ( I have about 20 here from various mfr.) And they all worked as long as I provided power through a hub. The PNY I mentioned was a 4 GB and it worked directly connected to the micro to usb adapter. Go figure.

avi

Staff member
Jan 27, 2011
@moshe - nice set up there ! Soon I shall build my own soon :)

and one more thing, did you try any USB Internet Dongles ?

moshe5368

Mar 13, 2011
I use a Cradlepoint wifi transmitter in my motorhome. I have used a verizon usb aircard in the cradlepoint to provide wifi throughout the coach while traveling. I have not tried the aircard through a hub as we are home for a few months and do not have the need for the air card at present. The wifi range on the nook is great and allows us to move anywhere within or around the immediate outside of our 30' coach. Have not thoroughly tested the range of the cradlepoint but in the past I have moved 50' from it and still had a good signal.

moshe5368

Mar 13, 2011
Thank, avi, for the compliment. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help. I have lots of time.

Xpun3414

Aug 8, 2011
@ moshe5368 Thank you very much for the response. Ive been flooding user groups for an answer & your the first to respond in about 2 weeks.

moshe5368

Mar 13, 2011
You are welcome, xpun. I try to help when I can. Enjoy

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
I don't know if I'm a guru but I was on vacation :D

JP

I can't believe you went on vacation and didn't bring your nook in order to answer our questions!
Gh

Sent from my LG-MS690 using Android Tablet Forum

moshe5368

Mar 13, 2011
You will need a Y cable adapter. One end has the micro USB connector and it branches to 2 female USB plugs. Amazon sells one that I saw (I believe it was for the zoom). That way you can run one cable to the hub and charge through the other. There is a setting in nook tweeks for v-bus power that will need to be checked to allow both operations at the same time.

OwnDrummr

Aug 23, 2011
Thanks, Moshe, for an informative summary--nice setup, and one I'm trying to achieve. I'm running 162 nightly, emmc, and use a Bluetooth Freedom Pro kb. I've been trying to utilize the many various instructions to step-by-step get the USB hosting working. I'm not a programmer, and don't know Linux, (I'm on Windows). Where do I "mount" the USB folder I gather I must create. And how do I utilize Busy Box, "vold", etc. Seems really complicated to me. I've tried the hookup and using Nook Tweaks to enable USB. There seems to be a definite sequence of enable-unable, on-off, and such. My goal is to use both thumb and hard drives for media, with my Belkin hub. Would you be willing to help?
Much Thanks!
David

moshe5368

Mar 13, 2011
No problem. I'll be glad to help with anything I can.

kabbie1882

Feb 24, 2011
My cable arrived on Monday. Since then I have tried every way I can find to connect the NC to a SD card/flash drive/mouse and still have power going to it.

I can connect and use a SD card/flash drive/mouse and not have power or I can have power and not use a SD card/flash drive/mouse.

I guess what I need is a step by step guide on how to hook things up. If it helps any, the cable end that goes into NC is black, the USB end is 1 red and 1 black.