USB host mode

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
My cable arrived on Monday. Since then I have tried every way I can find to connect the NC to a SD card/flash drive/mouse and still have power going to it.

I can connect and use a SD card/flash drive/mouse and not have power or I can have power and not use a SD card/flash drive/mouse.

I guess what I need is a step by step guide on how to hook things up. If it helps any, the cable end that goes into NC is black, the USB end is 1 red and 1 black.

Did you check vbus power in Nook Tweaks?

kabbie1882

Feb 24, 2011
Yes I did.

I tried plugging everything in first then turning on both USB tweak buttons.
I tried turning on the tweak buttons then plugging everything in.
Tried using powered USB hub and tried using USB wall plug that came with NC.

Not sure what I am missing, has to be something simple.

moshe5368

Mar 13, 2011
I usually turn on host mode before I connect the cable to the nook. Seems to connect faster that way. As for v bus power, have you tried to connect just the nook charger to the y cable and provide power to the nook through the y cable? I would want to see if power is being provided before proceeding.
Next step would be to provide v bus power first (while having both host mode and v bus checked in nook tweeks) then connect the other cable to a powered hub (having a flash drive already in the hub) and see if the drive shows up in the notification tray.
As a side note here, check each side of the y cable and see if you can both provide power or access a hub. There may be a physical issue with the y cable and this would be a sure way to see if that is the case.
Check these issues out and post your results.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

kabbie1882

Feb 24, 2011
Thanks for all the help.
Here are a couple pics of the way I hooked up the NC.
$302425_2165937100658_1013561209_2526881_5632853_n.jpg$312022_2165928780450_1013561209_2526855_2233865_n.jpg$313519_2165926420391_1013561209_2526848_5034565_n.jpg
With everything connected trough a powered USB hub and only USB HOST MODE checked, mouse still works.
Leaving things connected the same way if I check, EXTERNAL VBUS and USB HOST MODE, mouse stops working and does not charge.
If I disconnect the mouse and check, EXTERNAL VBUS and USB HOST MODE, it charges through either end (red or black) of the split USB cable.
If I disconnect from the powered USB, connect either end of the split USB cable to SD card reader and the other end to the mouse, I can use mouse and browse SD card.
I can either use peripherals or charge not both.
It is really not that big of a deal but I would like to be able to do this and I am sure others would also.
Once again thanks for all the help.

dflkjbfjkhhfjlhsglf

moshe5368

Mar 13, 2011
Looking at your pictures, I don't see a micro usb to usb adapter. I would try to do it this way: connect the Y cable micro usb end to the nook (as you have it in the pics), find a usb extension cable and connect it between the stock nc charger and one side of the Y usb. Connect the other side of the Y to the hub. I think you will only get usb charge rate from this but if you can find an adabter to allow you to use the nc factory charger cable to one side of the Y usb side, you should be able to both charge the nook and use usb devices. Hope this makes sense as I had to draw it out to make sense of it myself. At present, I do not have the necessessary adapters to try this but I think it will work.

jmh68

Dec 21, 2011
Looking at your pictures, I don't see a micro usb to usb adapter. I would try to do it this way: connect the Y cable micro usb end to the nook (as you have it in the pics), find a usb extension cable and connect it between the stock nc charger and one side of the Y usb. Connect the other side of the Y to the hub. I think you will only get usb charge rate from this but if you can find an adabter to allow you to use the nc factory charger cable to one side of the Y usb side, you should be able to both charge the nook and use usb devices. Hope this makes sense as I had to draw it out to make sense of it myself. At present, I do not have the necessessary adapters to try this but I think it will work.

Hi, moshe5368. I just joined this forum and saw your set-up description here. I can't figure out what variety of Y-cable you are suggesting here-- there are many variations available at Amazon. I know it has the male micro end, but are the other ends female or male? I have not found one anywhere online that has female adapters on the other ends. Maybe I will need a gender changer? Thanks for the help.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Hi, moshe5368. I just joined this forum and saw your set-up description here. I can't figure out what variety of Y-cable you are suggesting here-- there are many variations available at Amazon. I know it has the male micro end, but are the other ends female or male? I have not found one anywhere online that has female adapters on the other ends. Maybe I will need a gender changer? Thanks for the help.

Yes, I believe you need connectors to link the male ends of the usb cables. If you look at moshe's pictures you can see the couplers.

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
I have a question , another one about the USB. I bought yesterday this thing, to listen to music to, radio also, that's actually why I got it,I like to listen to the radio and this is so tiny,I can take it to the gym or beach.The point is that one has to charge it with the PC.My notebook is still with my friend, can I charge it through the nook USB?

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Android Tablet Forum

patruns

Jun 4, 2011
I have a question , another one about the USB. I bought yesterday this thing, to listen to music to, radio also, that's actually why I got it,I like to listen to the radio and this is so tiny,I can take it to the gym or beach.The point is that one has to charge it with the PC.My notebook is still with my friend, can I charge it through the nook USB?

No..... charging the NC via USB is minimal if at all. Charging with the NC is not gonna happen. :)

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011

You can buy a power usb port which you could use as a charger. Also they may wall plugs with outlets and ports for usb charging. One of these would do the trick to belkin mini surge protector - Google Search

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
So this is the thing I have to charge,can I just stick it in the nook wall charger and charge it on the wall?

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1324540002633.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1324540002633.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 736

jmh68

Dec 21, 2011
Yeah, neither the electronics specialty store nor the Best Buy near me had any idea what I was talking about when I asked about the Micro to USB OTG converter... I never owned a computer until about 10 years ago and am still trying to remember to grab my cell phone when I go anywhere. I am amazed that these supposed "experts" don't know what their devices are capable of! How can you work at Best Buy and not be into fiddling with stuff?!

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
So this is the thing I have to charge,can I just stick it in the nook wall charger and charge it on the wall?

I'd be careful about using the nook charger to charge other devices because it puts out a higher charge than most devices (more amps).

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
I figured that and so I used the charger of an old phone and it worked...thank you JP:)