USB host mode

Sue7M3

Staff member
Jan 2, 2011
I'd be careful about using the nook charger to charge other devices because it puts out a higher charge than most devices (more amps).

Last week my husband accidentally used the charger for my Blackberry on my NC and the NC charger on my Blackberry. There was not harm done to either device. I still wouldn't recommend it though!

jmh68

Dec 21, 2011
Yes, I believe you need connectors to link the male ends of the usb cables. If you look at moshe's pictures you can see the couplers.
Thanks, I thought that was what I was seeing. It's hard to tell what is what in some of the photos, and when you need to buy one of these thingies, you need to know exactly which thingie is being used! I got my micro-USB adapter yesterday and got the optical mouse working at the same time as my bt keyboard. Today I'm shooting for a wireless USB headset with mic to try once my powered hub comes from Amazon. I'm turning into such a geek! No offense, of course... two months ago, I was bored with my NC and ready to buy a real tablet. So glad I waited and found a way to get more from it. I'm now converting my co-workers and getting them to buy NC's and ignore the new Nook Tablet, which I think isn't worth the cost and not much better than the original NC.

I see at the Best Buy website micro to HDMI adapters. I wonder if they can be used without a hub, or if they will even work with one? Has anyone tried this? I'd like to use the NC to watch Netflix on my big TV. We have a Roku box hooked to a bedroom TV and don't want to have to move it downstairs. Thanks, y'all!

MISRy

Sep 4, 2011
I'd be careful about using the nook charger to charge other devices because it puts out a higher charge than most devices (more amps).

I'd be more *picky* about what I plug into the NC's charger than careful. Technicallity the device shouldn't draw any more amps than it needs. The problem I would have is using the relatively rare, high amp brick for a low end device like an mp3 player. Chargers with a standard USB port that serve up about 700 milliamp can be had for under 10 bucks.

--------------------------------
Sent from the Center of my Mind

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I'd be more *picky* about what I plug into the NC's charger than careful. Technicallity the device shouldn't draw any more amps than it needs. The problem I would have is using the relatively rare, high amp brick for a low end device like an mp3 player. Chargers with a standard USB port that serve up about 700 milliamp can be had for under 10 bucks.

--------------------------------
Sent from the Center of my Mind

Yep, this is a good way to say it :)

jmh68

Dec 21, 2011
I have been using host mode extensively since it was included in nook tweeks. I use a logitech bluetooth keyboard, a logitech laser mouse, a Belkin powered 7 port hub, and a 7 in 1 card reader. This setup allows me to read/write to flash drives, sd cards, and access my Nikon D70 camera directly. I import pictures from my camera to the nook so I can be sure I have the right shot. As I do landscape photography, I don't have to worry about my subjects moving (most haven't moved in the last thousand years or so). The 7"screen on the nook gives me a good image so I can see better than the 3" display on the camera.
Having access to my flash drives and sd cards gives me limitless storage for backups and roms. Here is a picture of my current setup taken with the Nikon and downloaded to the nook.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk
I got a powered hub through Amazon, and when I plug it into the NC via the micro to USB adapter, and then plug in the power cord, a red light comes on but nothing I plug into any of the ports will work on the NC. I originally thought the devices were just not compatible, but then I tried the hub with my desktop and it works perfectly-- everything I plug into it registers and works great. I'm not sure if I am doing something wrong in the USB host settings in Nook Tweaks or what-- I've tried every possible combo of checking boxes and nothing works. Strangely though, my non-powered hub works with both a flash drive and wireless USB mouse plugged into it. I tried a wireless USB headset, and it registers via that hub and will control the volume of my NC music, but the music won't come into the headset! Just keeps playing on the NC speaker. And, I tried watching a movie on the NC with the headset hooked up and was unable to get any audio at all! I guess I will try a corded headset w/ mic as someone else said they had working for both audio and voice with Skype, but if that doesn't work, I'm out of ideas. Just can't figure out why the powered hub won't do anything on the NC.

jmh68

Dec 21, 2011
I got a powered hub through Amazon, and when I plug it into the NC via the micro to USB adapter, and then plug in the power cord, a red light comes on but nothing I plug into any of the ports will work on the NC. I originally thought the devices were just not compatible, but then I tried the hub with my desktop and it works perfectly-- everything I plug into it registers and works great. I'm not sure if I am doing something wrong in the USB host settings in Nook Tweaks or what-- I've tried every possible combo of checking boxes and nothing works. Strangely though, my non-powered hub works with both a flash drive and wireless USB mouse plugged into it. I tried a wireless USB headset, and it registers via that hub and will control the volume of my NC music, but the music won't come into the headset! Just keeps playing on the NC speaker. And, I tried watching a movie on the NC with the headset hooked up and was unable to get any audio at all! I guess I will try a corded headset w/ mic as someone else said they had working for both audio and voice with Skype, but if that doesn't work, I'm out of ideas. Just can't figure out why the powered hub won't do anything on the NC.

UPDATE: I got the powered hub working. It came with no documentation, so I had to go to Amazon's website and look at photos of the hub to see that it will show a blue light for each port when functional. Some plugging, unplugging, and rebooting were necessary and now things are working some. I definitely needed to check usb host mode first and then plug things in. I got the wrong y-cable-- it has a mini-usb, not the micro needed for the NC port. Got the usb wireless headset working (speakers at least, didn't try the mic), but it sped up my audio and video playback for some reason! The range was great, sound was great, but I have no idea how to modify the playback speed. Once I unplugged the headset, playback returned to normal. Bluetooth headset I tried (Rocketfish) has range of about 1/2 an inch and only on one side-- not usable. Can anyone help with the audio playback problem? I really wanted to keep the usb headset but ended up returning it.