What Rom or Nooter are you currently using?

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
I thought I would start this thread so we could get a feel for where everyone is at. Please let us know what you are running and what works and what doesn't work for you.

I am running...
-phiremod beta2 custom rom
-1.1ghz kernel

Everything basically works...
-youtube
-flash
-nintendo 64 emulator
-email
-talk
-launchers
And more

Problems....
-Have to toggle wifi off and on after sleep
-black on black menu items
-have to turn screen off then on quickly to improve touch responsiveness.
-shutsdown at sleep sometimes

sent from my rooted nook color

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
+1 as Steve (for right now)

I am wiping my NC clean at some point this weekend.

So I have now reserved my spot in this thread for wherever I end up.

bkcdroid

Feb 2, 2011
+1 as Steve. I just tried UD nightly 2-22, no go, so restored phiremod beta2. I have not tried nookie froyo. worth a look? BTW, my rooted D1 has been UD 3.01 nightlies, but am going back to 2.5, or I might try Razors new RZ baseline .5 froyo...

bkcdroid

patmw123

Jan 30, 2011
I am also running phiremod beta 2. I love it so far. Does anyone recommend a good keyboard to use with it?

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
I have given up on Gingerbread on the droid, doesn't work properly for me. I do wonder how it works on nook. I like phiremod cuz flash works.

I was using smart keyboard on phiremod but went back to stock cuz it works better I feel.

I am getting frustrated with wifi cutting out on phiremod though.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

bkcdroid

Feb 2, 2011
Except for UD, I have not used CM based ROMS on my droid. I wish an AOSP dev would do a source ROM for nook! Raidzero said he would if he had one, but financials have kept him away so far...
I just use the multi touch keyboard. I don't like the gingerbread keyboard on nook - keys seem too short and small somehow... I also did not like swype on the larger surface - it works great on my droid though...
I do wish the bottom keys lit up and worked instead of button savior and I do wish the wifi was not an issue!
bkcdroid

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
I adjusted wifi sleep policy hopefully that fixes phiremod beta 2 wifi sleep problem.

sent from my rooted nook color

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
CM7 n12
1.1ghz

So far everything except for My Apps in the Market has worked. The jumpy wi-fi is gone and after flashing n12 I gained an hour of battery life ;).

I was exceptionally sloppy flashing n11 and learned my lesson.

I've got to say the latest CM7 builds are dynamite. I picked up the trick to switch the DolphinHD user agent to Desktop and now Youtube and Vimeo work. A bit jumpy but watchable.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Stelv, how do you adjust the wifi sleep policy settings?

bkcdroid

Use Wake Timer app and you are set, works for all OS's: cpu on, screen off

reference: NookColor Keep wifi alive by preventing sleep mode - nookDevs
An option to keep wifi awake while the screen is off is to prevent the Nook from going into sleep mode. This can be done by using an app which will create a WakeLock. "WakeTimer" from the market will let you do this (as will media players still playing when you shut off the screen). When the Nook is first unlocked, the wifi symbol will initially be off even though it is still active. Pandora paused is probably just as effective.
Beware of impact on battery life.

bkcdroid

Feb 2, 2011
Thanks Rico! I'm not really interested in killing a battery charge that fast! I thought perhaps there was a policy setting that was preventing the wifi from turning on upon wake - so, for now, quick settings on pulldown menu and toggle wifi works, it would just be nice if that was scripted instead of a manual process :)

bkcdroid

suefourmet

Jan 14, 2011
Let's see:

I am running HC v4 on SD card.
Running CM7 nightly-12 on emmc with 1.1 ghz kernal
I'm not really using Honeycomb much - just waiting for the real thing. Most of the time I'm using Gingerbread. Wifi, which was problematic a few installs ago, seems to be stable now. Also, after following some pretty clear directions, My Apps seems to be working just fine. I still get an occasional FC on some apps, but not often and not predictable. I am not using many games so I can't comment on that. The screen seems quite responsive. (I don't have much to compare it to, as I don't have any experience with android phones (or any smart phones, for that matter.) I'm still enjoying reading the forums and learning every day, and may very possibly try to set up a dual boot sometime soon. :D

Sue

Sir Robin

Jan 22, 2011
So, when I do a search for phiremod nook, I see a link to XDA with phiremod nook V4. I don't see anything about V2 BETA. What is the difference and is there a reason for one over the other, and if V2 BETA is the way to go how do you get it.
Sorry to post a question instead of which ROM I am using.
I was thinking of Nookie Froyo since almost everything seems to be working, I like Cyanogen builds but my wife wants youtube so my 1 yo can watch videos on it.

bkcdroid

Feb 2, 2011
To Darmeen - I could not get setting profiles from market didn't show up and when I used market.android.com, it would only send to my phone. i DL'd Quick Profiles and it seems to be working great! Will report as I have more experience with it...

To Sir Robin - as I understand it - phiremod beta 2 is the last of his froyo-based roms. Then he went to GB roms based on CM's nightlies. Some of us prefer to not use CM roms... but that's another story and thread topic...

and at least on most phones - the devs have not worked out all of the bugs - perhaps soon we'll all be nibbling on gingerbread, but after weeks with GB roms on my phone, I've gone back to froyo until some future time when it's more stable and user friendly. I cannot speak to Nookie Froyo as I experienced phiremod first and haven't had a reason to switch yet... please report back if you go that route!

bkcdroid