[ROM] for Black PDN attempt - Alpha

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
1360d1287555395-alternate-hacked-firmware-black-pandigital-novel-attempt-alpha-snc_101019_235438-jpg

Update on 19 October 2010:

Exciting news. Reported being able to run Android Mate and the standard Launcher as his home screen. That mean's the Black PDN is officially hacked. Now, we just have to fine tune things and figure out what will run on this guy and optimize it. And some of you said it couldn't be done. Alpha 5 has two launchers removed that crashed. I believe ADB access is enabled now but I need someone to confirm this. I am hacking the firmware but don't have my own Black PDN to test builds on. If I did things would be moving along at a much faster pace.

Edited on 17 October 2010:

We are very close the getting the Black PDN hacked. It would go faster if I had one myself for testing. I have to wait for people to download it and try it out. We have achieved installing an alternate launcher but it forced closed. The new version has the stock launcher from the Android 1.5 OS from the SDK's emulator. Hopefully, this one should work. I also included an older version of PandaHome (not sure if it will work or not), Dropbox and appInsaller. Soon the Black PDN will be another toy for us to mod to our hearts' content.

Original Post from 14 October 2010:

Okay, I have an idea. I used 7-Zip to go inside the polaris_update.dat ROM update. I added a Cupcake compatible launcher to the /system/app/ directory. The /data/ folder was empty so I added an /app/ folder and put the apk files for appInstaller and Dropbox (I don't know if they will work on Cupcake but worth a try). I then modified the MD5 checksum for the tar.gz package that contains these files. So if this works, you run this like a regular Black PDN update and when it reboots you will have an alternate launcher and you should be asked which launcher you want to use. Also, if appInstaller and Dropbox work there will be two additional pathways to install programs. If this works this will be the real beginning of hacking the Black PDN. Once someone confirms we can get to an alternate launcher screen everything opens up. If needed, I can make another file that adds a different browser. The build already has a native package installer so hopefully this works.

I don't think this file will hurt your BPDN. I just added some programs and updated the checksum to validate the file. I didn't touch the boot, recovery or kernel images in any way. I hope someone with a Black PDN will try to flash this update and see if it works. If I had one I would definitely try it myself.

Newest firmware attempt released on 19 October 2010.

Download link: Black PDN Modified Firmware v. 0.5 (Alpha)
MD5: f93ed1e60ae6a964ec3154f50fbf9460

Note: After rebooting when selecting the launcher do not make it the default launcher until trying it first to make sure it will run without force closing. Once you have confirmed the launcher will run you can make it default the next time you reboot, or install HomeSwitcher and select it as default. If you make it the default and it forces closes you will have no way to undo without reflashing the device.

Flashback

Nov 9, 2010
OK - I just installed this. Of the 3 homescreen choices I have:
1> com.android.launcher does not work - it just gives me a force close prompt that repeats until I reboot and choose another launcher
2> AndroidMate works - a little clunky - but I CAN install other apps - or It shows an installer, anyway.
3> (the middle choice) looks to be the same as the launcher that was there in the first place.

Now I need to go find apps to replace the silly reader that's installed and the even worse video player that's installed.

Thanks, BTW

Stacey

Nov 4, 2010
I am a newbie to this but I dl the file, I have read thru all the wikis and the forums for the white PDN, All I really want it to put Kindle on my black PDN, now that I have this file on my computer, should I install it onto my PDN then reboot from the sd card? I did do the most recent firmware updates from the Pandigital website. Whats my next step??

Flashback

Nov 9, 2010
I tried putting the kindle.apk on my black PDN, and it wouldn't install. I'm THINKING the reason is the black PDN uses software ver 1.5 and the app requires at least 1.6. I don't BELIEVE the black PDN can be upgraded past 1.5, but I could be wrong. I'm still trying to figure stuff out myself. I can't even get Aldiko to work. I'm guessing that I just have to get an app to remap the volume button to menu, though.

strommsarnac

Jul 30, 2010
I used Pandigital's kit on my black PDN and there's lots of things which don't work on it. It's VERY annoying that none of the apps say what OS version they are for, that's so 1980 BS.

I was really hoping for one thing after I kitted the BPDN, epub support. I just can't find anything that works. I can do PDF, txt, doc, xls, but not things from nook or kindle.

I like the browser on the kitted OS more than the default load. I also like being able to load "some file" (sorry can't remember the name and it's upstairs) manager which lets me connect to my PC's and server.

I just really wish there were more 1.5 apps I could install. Kinda defeats the purpose of having the thing.

hbsdaddy

Nov 29, 2010
im new to the site and I am thinking of getting a pdn and i want to know if it will play a full length movie

rickinnocal

Nov 29, 2010
I have just installed this firmware, and report the same as Flashback - Android Mate works, the middle "Home" option appears to be the original homescreen, and the bottom "Home" launcher jams in a "force close" loop.

One thing, though... Even when using AndroidMate as the default launcher, hitting the "Home" button on any apps menu takes you NOT to AndroidMate, but to the original pandigital home page, and there then seems to be no way to get back to AndroidMate.

Richard

bz3491

Dec 1, 2010
okay...Im sorta new to the android flashing...I d/l this...put it in the root of my sd card(tried with 2 others as well) and went through th whole pwr-vol+and it loads up the terminal firmware detect screen then jus flashes off....why is this? I currently have the pandigital open android firmware loaded..is there something Im missing? is there another way to flash it other than by sd?...I'd really like to be able to install some apps and whatnot...and this is the only thing I found that does that for the black pdn...slatedroid seems to always be down...so any and all help/input will be very much appreciated

Thanks,
Bill

hbsdaddy

Nov 29, 2010
after you change to android can you download the same apps as an android phone like the games and all

bz3491

Dec 1, 2010
the black pdn does not have an android market...main thing I want on my pdn is the facebook app....I also have the facebook apk...but idk how to get an app installer on the pdn..

Carbira1

Aug 7, 2010
Hey how do you go back?
EDIT: My 3rd option down the Home (com.android.launcher) does not work the other two Home (com.android.homeui) and the android mate both work!
EDIT EDIT: None of my MP4's work! Sorry! the application Video (process com.android.video) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again.
EDIT EDIT EDIT: SAM 4.0 does not work. I got it installed but when I try to open it with Android Mate it black screens and then just goes back to the apps.

Last edited:

Carbira1

Aug 7, 2010
Also, My touch screen stops working after I plug it into my computer. I have to restart to get it to work again.

Carbira1

Aug 7, 2010
the black pdn does not have an android market...main thing I want on my pdn is the facebook app....I also have the facebook apk...but idk how to get an app installer on the pdn..
It does have an installer!