WiFi

popeye1128

Feb 14, 2011
There's been lots of discussion on this. It is pretty much a hardware/antenna issue and not much can be done. A weakness of the 7015. Have read that setting the home wifi router to mixed mode helps somewhat.

TGamel

Apr 1, 2011
Is there anything we can do to improve the WiFi on these things?

Having had the tablet for about 2 weeks now I have really been impressed with it in most regards, especially after having rooted it. However the WIFI is terrible, if I move more than 50 feet from my wireless router the thing will not pick up a signal. It does however sem to function well at work, but I am not sure of the type of WIFI setup we have there......If anyone finds a decent solution let me know, however if it is an antenna issue, not sure what can be done.

Todd

rossjhsn

Dec 28, 2010
this may sound silly but I went to Fry's and bought a second wireless N router for $29 and set it up in my bedroom. Now I can use the Coby anywhere in the house. Seemed better than opening the kyros and extending the antenna!

Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
Fellows there are many ways to improve wireless. But the buck stops at your wireless router. I use the below setup and no issues now with tablets with wireless. I have 3x of these in my dwelling.

More info here

197591_10150144382802949_579882948_6792174_1201483_n.jpg

The above has 20dBm 100mW with 3x 5dBi High Gain SMA ANT. Can be rooted with DD-WRT (firmware) ROM but I just use the Stock has some neat features. Use the emulator here direct connection
The WiFi TP-LINK TL-WR1043N v1.7 you can set the MBPS to 300, MHZ to either 20MHz 802.11b/g or 40MHz 802.11n. Since the Coby is only 802.11g @ 20Mhz this is what you would need. I still force mix mode b/g/n @ 40MHz not issues.
Under the hood you have Atheros 400MHz, 8MB for Flash and 32MB for RAM, 832KB Packet Buffer for Meg/Gig Ports there is also USB network drive feature. Cost is lower $5x.xx to $6x.xx.

kerry_s

Mar 17, 2011
that's a sweet looking router, to bad my isp uses a modem/router, you have to use there stuff or no internet. I tried connecting my own router to it but it doesn't work.

popeye1128

Feb 14, 2011
Well yea. I was looking more at whether something could be done to the 7015 itself. If you want to put a router in every room of the house then you should have a good signal no matter what. :)
Fact is, the wifi on the 7015 is weak.

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
that's a sweet looking router, to bad my isp uses a modem/router, you have to use there stuff or no internet. I tried connecting my own router to it but it doesn't work.

No that's the my main router that's APN's (Access Point Network) But I have 3 of these here the main router looks like that image but it's connected two rack mounted switch types. What's in that is what you all need. No you can't do anything to the 7015 unless you're good with soldering.

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
Well yea. I was looking more at whether something could be done to the 7015 itself. If you want to put a router in every room of the house then you should have a good signal no matter what. :)
Fact is, the wifi on the 7015 is weak.

WiFi on all Tablet's are the same. I don't have APN's in every room. I live in older house, if you got new home with drywall and zinc metal in the walls they your going to have some issues. The 7015 only has 802.11g @ 20MHz not like 802.11n @ 40MHz.

kerry_s

Mar 17, 2011
lol, i just finished installing dd-wrt on a old router & setting it up as a wifi repeater bridge.
i now have full bars everywhere in the house & can even go outside.

idbl_fanatic

Mar 9, 2011
lol, i just finished installing dd-wrt on a old router & setting it up as a wifi repeater bridge.

I have tried and tried that, and never been successful is doing so.

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010

What Brand and Model is it?
I have a few older ones here. The best one was Buffalo xxHP-54G Dual Amp with DD-WRT I was able to OC the CPU to 233MHz raise the TX to 80 the default is 70. That came with 5dBi on it. That can blanket the entire property with 802.11g only. With G it's best to use a G only Wireless Router. Some of these have Access Point Mode only so with the DD-WRT you have choices to unlock those modes. Or just buy Access Point Only Wireless Bridge.

350675545.jpg

kerry_s

Mar 17, 2011
it's a usr5430 by us robotics, a wireless gaming bridge. a friend gave it to me yesterday, i started googleing & came across dd-wrt for it.
the firmware was already messed up, couldn't gain access even after reset, so i took a chance.
it's working great, i hope it lasts, the thing looks old, had a layer of dust to let you know it sat somewhere.

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
The old stuff was made better than what we have today which only last about 2 years on average. Then you have to go out and buy again, an again!

kerry_s

Mar 17, 2011
The old stuff was made better than what we have today which only last about 2 years on average. Then you have to go out and buy again, an again!

exactly, i miss the old days when they built things to be great. now they make it only last till right after the warranty expires.
sure they we're ugly, but you could depend on it.