Wow.. This battery Saver App really Works

zanetti2000

Apr 30, 2011
Its stops the tablet (A500) from searching for a cell phone signal that eats up some of the battery.
Acer Iconia Phone Disabler

My device was rooted before this app ran.

Last edited:

docfreed

Dec 4, 2010
It's nothing more than renaming the telephony.provider and phone apk's so why pay - you need to be rooted to use it anyway so why not just rename them?

BUT - there's a big issue if you need to do a hard reset and also, you will not be able to get the update because as we know, the updating procedure checks for completeness of all the apps - if any are missing, it won't install.

I'm waiting for Acer to fix this (actually it's a Google problem since many other tablets have this issue).

spexwood

May 11, 2011
Actually, can't you just make a copy of the telephony.provider and phone apks, store them on an external drive (hdd, thumb drive, etc) or your pc, and then copy them back if you want to update?

I deleted some crap off the tablet (such as that Lets Golf), but first made a copy of them and stored them on my external hdd. I can always restore them when needed.

HD87

May 14, 2011
renaming the telephony.provider & phone.apk to.. ex..? Which directory would that be located in? I got root access with Gingerbreak. cant you rename the files back to default? what would be the big issue with having to hard reset? questions questions.. Im curious if this saves battery life then definitely want to do it! but not if the CONS outweigh the PROS.. need that 3.1 update! thanks for the info.

Last edited:

spexwood

May 11, 2011
HD87:
I deleted (after copying first) some of the games that came on the tablet. After 2 factory resets, those games do not magically come back, so that must have something to do with what everyone is talking about.

If the updates wont work without those files being there, then simply restoring them from a copy should fix everything, but I cant say for sure.

HD87

May 14, 2011
I assume you can copy/paste the actual files somewhere safe.. rename telephony.provider & phone.apk.. then whenever the update comes replace the renamed files with the original files which are going to be safely kept in another folder.. but I dont want to be the 1st to try it.. Lol

spexwood

May 11, 2011
I assume you can copy/paste the actual files somewhere safe.. rename telephony.provider & phone.apk.. then whenever the update comes replace the renamed files with the original files which are going to be safely kept in another folder.. but I dont want to be the 1st to try it.. Lol

I am 99% sure that if you did this, it would work without any problems. Just by removing these files, the actual OS programming hasnt been changed. You only removed a file so that it could not be called upon to do what it was meant to do. As long as the file is not vital (such as the launcher) and then called upon by the OS, then it will simply shrug it off and move on and you should see no side effects.
Once the file is restored, the OS will be able to call on it again without any problems.

Does that make sense?
Simply put, these files are not vital for tablet use. Now, if our tablets could make phone calls, it would completely change things (these files could affect A501 units though and may be useful with 3g connections).

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Do not remove these files, you will make your table unusable unless you really know what you are doing, and even there your tablet will most likely become unstable. just turn telephony off by putting your tablet in airplane mode. If you don't have that installed there are apps in the market.

Sent from my Bottle of Smoke using Android Tablet Forum

HD87

May 14, 2011
Yea not positive if it would or would not make the tablet unstable.. even then how much battery time would it really save? someone would need to test it out..

Raven312

Mar 28, 2011
It seems to me that it's mainly bothering people because they can't explain what it really is and what the tablet is really doing. Has anyone provided any solid proof that those files are really affecting battery life (and this is just a question, not a challenge...)?

CenturionFive

Dec 11, 2010
I installed this app and in the last 24 hours there has been no battery use by anything cell phone related.

Worth 99 cents in my book

Cen5

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

ScottW714

May 26, 2011
TEST
To see how much juice the phone is using goto Settings/About Tablet/Battery Use
Mine, Cell Standby 12% vs WiFi 8%.

It's definitely using power.

FIX
Click the Cell Standby icon/bar in same screen.
It shows more detail and this gem "Switch to airplane mode to save power in areas with no cell coverage"

Goto Wireless & Networks area
Click Airplane mode.
It will disconnect WiFi, just click WiFi to reconnect while in airplane mode.