9" PanDigital Novel

jellono

Jan 2, 2011
So I thought I would outline my experience so far..

1. Turned on Development
2. attached to Linux Box (Ubuntu)
a. as root created file /etc/udev/rules/51-android.rules
b. Ran lsusb and noticed a new Device "Bus 002 Device 008: ID 18d1:b004"
c. edited 51-android.rules ands added the line:
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}=="18d1", MODE="0666"
d. ran adb devices and got the machine talking..
3. Pushed Up z4Root [APP] z4root - xda-developers
4. Rooted the Tab.
5. Pushed Up Titanium Backup (Did a full backup) Titanium Backup for Android ? Official Site
6. Installed other Root apps.
7. Replaced the launcher with Launcher Pro LauncherPro «
8. Installed SlideMe for a simple Store SlideME | Android Community and Application Marketplace
7. Removed the last of the "Phone apps" in an attempt to squeeze a bit more battery out of the machine. Cool XDA hack "Remove Cell Standby" I did this manually. No need to mount as the file system seems to be RW for root. Remove Cell Standby Service from Nook Color | xda-developers
8. Installed SkyFire for Youtube video and web browsing.

For now That is where I am at.. I have found instructions for Getting the Google App store up and running but I have not had the time to make sure I do it safely..

Hope this helps some people out..

Dave.

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
Awesome, good job and doing all of that also let us know how getting the market on it works out

Sent from my incredible using Android Talert Forum

jellono

Jan 2, 2011
I have been off power since 6am it is now 9pm I used it in the morning for 45 minutes and the same amount of time at noon. I just picked it up and have 75 % battery. In the past it would have been almost dead. I still have to put an exended load but it has lasted me all day without charge.

Sent from my sec_smdk6410 using Tapatalkl

mdparent

Jan 4, 2011
Got one of these for Christmas and have done alot of the same things you have done as well. Been looking for newer roms to try out. Really would like to install and move apps to the sd card. Also just a note here, been using my Froyo Eris to get market items and then using Titanium back up on both devices to restore on the PDN. Not all apps work this way, but a lot of them do. Been trying to get the google market place up and running with no success. Dropbox has been a great asset as well to transfer apk's and files needed. Hope to see some custom rom's soon, at least Froyo.

dbogdan

Jan 5, 2011
Could you post a link to the Market installation instructions? I have been searching all over for a Vending.apk from an android 2.0 install and haven't found anything. I even tried to modify the build.prop file to mimic a 2.1 or 2.0.1 install and tried a market version from there with no luck.

I wonder how hard it would be to get an android 2.1 or 2.2 install to run on this thing?

mdparent

Jan 4, 2011
Could you post a link to the Market installation instructions? I have been searching all over for a Vending.apk from an android 2.0 install and haven't found anything. I even tried to modify the build.prop file to mimic a 2.1 or 2.0.1 install and tried a market version from there with no luck.

I wonder how hard it would be to get an android 2.1 or 2.2 install to run on this thing?

I have been trying every "vending.apk" I can find, with no luck. Just using my phone and transfering apk's that way. I would like to save time and energy too!

krash1220

Dec 19, 2010
I don't suppose any of you guys have the original firmware for the us version? I got one of these and was trying to get the market on it and all it did was keep crashing, so I deleted some the market apps and then I was able to get to settings and do a factory reset. Someone told me to clear my dalvik cache and it rebooted and now all it will do is reboot over and over. I was getting advice from slatedroid but nothing seems to fix it. Pandigital doesn't have the original firmware posted on their site, just the canadian version. If any of you can help me out I would really appreciate it. If by any chance you have the original firmware and I could get it from you that would be great. Thanks.

jellono

Jan 2, 2011
I don't suppose any of you guys have the original firmware for the us version? I got one of these and was trying to get the market on it and all it did was keep crashing, so I deleted some the market apps and then I was able to get to settings and do a factory reset. Someone told me to clear my dalvik cache and it rebooted and now all it will do is reboot over and over. I was getting advice from slatedroid but nothing seems to fix it. Pandigital doesn't have the original firmware posted on their site, just the canadian version. If any of you can help me out I would really appreciate it. If by any chance you have the original firmware and I could get it from you that would be great. Thanks.

Well,

I did the exact same thing ... Mine is sitting in a corner of my office waiting to get my hands on the firmware...

So sorry Please post if you find it..

krash1220

Dec 19, 2010
Well, I got mine back by installing just market and gapps and then I finally got into settings and did a factory reset. I was so bummed at that point that I didn't even stop to see whether market was working or not. My post is here Pandigital’s 9-inch Novel I used files for the white PDN that jackbox created. I'm also going to try and figure out how to back everything up if possible, if so maybe I'll try again at some point. Good luck with yours.

vbquoc

Dec 7, 2011
Please help me.
After run z4root. My Pandigital Novel 9" automatic restart after 5 seconds.
Please help me,
Thanks