9742 Stock and Custom ROM

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
You all did nothing but try to help, absolutely no apologies necessary! It's my fault for getting in over my head!

I backed it up. I installed the custom ROM..... it restarted, saw the Coby logo, and now it is black. Please tell me this is supposed to happen? It's been a few minutes and it looks like it is off. I'm afraid to mess with it in case something is going on behind the scenes?
That's normal

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
reboot into recovery
and restore your backup, your 9742 is different than both Traveller1701 and Patchril

Gretchen333

Jun 28, 2012
Ummmm.... ok, well now I may be in trouble. I don't know what adb is. I did the "two finger" method of booting it into recovery, but that doesn't seem to be working now.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Ummmm.... ok, well now I may be in trouble. I don't know what adb is. I did the "two finger" method of booting it into recovery, but that doesn't seem to be working now.

press reset button then use the two finger method.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
it's a timing issue, hold down volume and back button then press power release power button when you see coby keep holding down volume and back button until you are in cwm.

also here is another method to get into cwm

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum.../39273-screen-problems-9742-a.html#post220831

1) Press and Hold.. VolumeUp & Back button ...
2) While still holding above .... Press & Hold Power button. (30 Seconds)

Last edited:

Gretchen333

Jun 28, 2012
Whew. Ok. I'm back to where I started this morning. (Yay for backup!) It may still be slow as all getout, but at least it turns on!

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
@ Patchirl did you flash the boot.img?after flashing custom rom? I believe that would fix your touch screen problem

Patchirl

May 18, 2012
@ Patchirl did you flash the boot.img?after flashing custom rom? I believe that would fix your touch screen problem

I did not. Another rookie mistake.
I'll do that and report back.

Edit: Do I flash the boot image with Cwm or adb?
Thanks.

Last edited:

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Last edited:

Gretchen333

Jun 28, 2012
You are so kind to do this, THANK YOU!!

Neither seemed to work, but I may not be doing it correctly. I boot into Clockwork Recovery and tell it to update from the sd card, then I point it to the zip file - is that correct? I did the only wipe cash thing I saw in CWM, hoping that was correct.

Oh, so when I install them (provided I did it correctly) and reboot it gets stuck on the android screen. Let it sit on that screen for more than 30 minutes and it never went any further.