Coby 7033 Root, Recovery, Unsecure Boot.img

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
This method requires adb to be installed and working.
If your tablet is already rooted you wont need to root it via my method useless you want to.
The unsecure_boot.img allows all adb commands such as adb remount, also forces adb enabled, meaning the boot overrides Coby's code to disable usb debugging on each reboot.
The recovery is a dual recovery, meaning the recovery includes both Stock and CWM recovery, I decided to release the recovery this way.

733_root_recovery_boot

extract 733_root_recovery_boot.zip, open terminal in the folder where you extracted 733_root_recovery_boot.zip

There is a text file called root_recovery and a folder called data, root_recovery shows the same commands as I am posting below.

adb push data /data/local/tmp/

adb shell

chmod 0777 /data/local/tmp/pwn

chmod 0777 /data/local/tmp/root.sh

/data/local/tmp/pwn

exit

adb shell

/data/local/tmp/root.sh

at this point you should be rooted, your adb shell should have went from $ to #, if so you can then if you choose to flash either or both unsecure_boot.img, dual_recovery.img you can now do so, first make a dump.

You should now dump your tablet.

mkdir /sdcard/dump

cat /dev/mtd/mtd2 > /sdcard/dump/boot.img
cat /dev/mtd/mtd3 > /sdcard/dump/recovery.img
cat /dev/mtd/mtd1 > /sdcard/dump/bootloader.img

busybox tar -czvf /sdcard/dump/coby_7033_system.tgz /system

To flash boot and recovery.

data/local/tmp/flash_boot.sh

data/local/tmp/flash_recovery.sh

this script removes files from /data/local/tmp

data/local/tmp/remove.sh

If you flashed unsecure_boot.img, you can reboot and and check and make sure all is booting and adb is working, and usb debugging is enabled.

If you flashed dual_recovery.img, on reboot hold volume - plus power until you are in recovery mode, You will see stock recovery, you can use adb in this recovery or you can if you want switch to CWM.

adb shell

cw_recovery.sh

to return to stock recovery

st_recovery.sh

CWM recovery will allow you to backup but not install backups, you can install via adb from CWM recovery.

you can install approved roms from CWM, right now none exist.

CWM recovery and unsecure_boot.img are tools used to fix your tablet, if the tablet should fail.

In CWM recovery to format, system, cache, data
first make sure all are unmounted.

format_cache.sh
format_data.sh
format_system.sh

to restore your dump at a later time, mosy of the time only system is needed.

place coby_7033_system.tgz on micro sdcard

boot into recovery

adb shell

cw_recovery.sh

umount
cache
data

mount
sdcard

format_cache.sh
format_data.sh
format_system.sh

busybox tar -xzvf /sdcard/coby_7033_system.tgz

now reboot, you will have to reenter all data, this is a new install.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Adding a gapps update zip, this installs unrestricted playstore, all apps on playstore should show, I am using Nexus 7 keys.

To install you must already have my recovery installed.

Download 7033_root_gapps place on micro sdcard

Boot into recovery

adb shell

cw_recovery.sh

format_data.sh

format_cache.sh

now use the recovery to install 7033_root_gapps.zip

Last stage ask if you want to remove flash, choose one of the many no, don't select yes.

Once rebooted this takes time to boot, setup and enjoy your tablet.

alexzamp

Dec 22, 2013
Hi Vampirefo, thank you for this also. Please check your paypal, I did something and I'm really sorry I cannot do more to show you my appreciation for your job.

Rixy

Jan 14, 2014
Thanks for all your work on this Vampirefo. I managed to follow your steps and see the 3e recovery. Two issues after this point which I am hoping you can provide some guidance on:

1. After rebooting into your recovery 3e, my PC loses connection to the 7033 device indicating that a driver is missing and I am unable to access adb shell and run cw_recovery.sh. However, booting up normally, my PC is able to see the 7033 and access it through adb shell. Originally, I did have to install and modify the google usb driver that came with the android SDK through modifying the hardward IDs in the ini file. Perhaps that caused the conflict when in recovery mode? Not sure where to proceed from here.

2. Despite #1 I tried to install the gapps zip. I receive a signature verification failed. Thoughts?

Thanks!

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
You can't install gapps until you uncloak my cw recovery. You have to get adb working in recovery, I don't use windows so don't know what you need to do to get adb working in recovery on windows.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Phone

Rixy

Jan 14, 2014
Cheers Vampirefo. I created a virtual machine of Ubuntu and was able to see the device while in recovery and therefore flash your cw_recovery no problem. After that I installed gapps without any issue and rebooted. The problem I ran into is the playstore shuts down immediately after opening. Any additional steps you can think of? Thanks again.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Cheers Vampirefo. I created a virtual machine of Ubuntu and was able to see the device while in recovery and therefore flash your cw_recovery no problem. After that I installed gapps without any issue and rebooted. The problem I ran into is the playstore shuts down immediately after opening. Any additional steps you can think of? Thanks again.

No nothing I can think of, you could try a factory reset perhaps something is wrong with your setup, if so factory reset would fix it. Gapps will still remain after factory reset, you will loose all your data, and have to renter all your info after factory reset.

linkage423

Apr 7, 2014
You can't install gapps until you uncloak my cw recovery. You have to get adb working in recovery, I don't use windows so don't know what you need to do to get adb working in recovery on windows.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Phone

Hey vampirefo, i see your presence on the forum here and thank you for all the work you have put into this. I am however now having the issue after booting into recovery where adb devices is spitting back "?????? no permissions". using ubuntu 12.10 and i believe i have the UDEV rules OK:
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}=="18d1", MODE="d001"
also lsusb reports:
Bus 001 Device 010: ID 18d1:d001 Google Inc.

I am surprised i havent killed this thing yet, but i guess i would need to be in CWM to do the final blow :) Do you have any recomendations to get past this point and actually boot CWM?

Thanks!

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Hey vampirefo, i see your presence on the forum here and thank you for all the work you have put into this. I am however now having the issue after booting into recovery where adb devices is spitting back "?????? no permissions". using ubuntu 12.10 and i believe i have the UDEV rules OK:
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}=="18d1", MODE="d001"
also lsusb reports:
Bus 001 Device 010: ID 18d1:d001 Google Inc.

I am surprised i havent killed this thing yet, but i guess i would need to be in CWM to do the final blow :) Do you have any recomendations to get past this point and actually boot CWM?

Thanks!

reset adb and then adb via root.

open terminal

killall adb

sudo adb shell