Linux Users, Coby 1042, Root, Recovery, Update, All Without Livesuite,

Dieselrider

Nov 29, 2012
How far did you go on the instructions ?

Gapps can be flashed via the recovery you installed. Have you made a backup from the new recovery ? do this before flashing gapps.

I ued these instructions as they were suggested by someone on the Mepis boards and they worked well but, I didn't get the google apps icon (link) on the tablet when done. At least I would assume it should be there as you cannot download apps without according to Google. Thanks

Rooting and installing Gapps on Coby 1042 tablet from Linux/OSX « Geeky

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
I looked quickly at the page you linked. If successful, you have root, but not clockwork recovery. Those instructions and links are from this website.

Here is Vampirefo's instructions on gapps without recovery:

Thread: How to install Google Play using ADB?

Read the full thread. You may have failed gapps because you dont have busybox. thats there also.

Last edited:

Dieselrider

Nov 29, 2012
I looked quickly at the page you linked. If successful, you have root, but not clockwork recovery. Those instructions and links are from this website.

Here is Vampirefo's instructions on gapps without recovery:

Thread: How to install Google Play using ADB?

Read the full thread. You may have failed gapps because you dont have busybox. thats there also.

I did download busybox and tried again but, the same result. Maybe I do not have busybox in the right place. $snapshot11.png

Rugger

Dec 25, 2012
Thanks for this info. Unfortunately, all went well until flashing the update.zip. Now I am stuck at the "ANDROID" boot loop. Any suggestions on how to recover?

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Thanks for this info. Unfortunately, all went well until flashing the update.zip. Now I am stuck at the "ANDROID" boot loop. Any suggestions on how to recover?

If you made a backup and you should have just restore you backup. there are at least 3 version of 1042, the only way to make sure one can restore 100% is to make their own backups before making any modifications.

If you didn't make your own back, you can install http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...id-advanced-gui-customization-11-18-12-a.html

dougpiston

Jan 2, 2013
Just join to say I appreciate this thread. Guy at work wanted MineCraft on his son's tablet and this+Gapps seemed the quickest route. Though I must ask are you guys using UDEV rules or just sudo? I am going to be doing this tomorrow and I can give you guys the UDEV rules when I am done if you'd like. Also if you guys are looking for an distro that makes ADB easy look into ArchLinux. One command install from the AUR.

Cheers.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Just join to say I appreciate this thread. Guy at work wanted MineCraft on his son's tablet and this+Gapps seemed the quickest route. Though I must ask are you guys using UDEV rules or just sudo? I am going to be doing this tomorrow and I can give you guys the UDEV rules when I am done if you'd like. Also if you guys are looking for an distro that makes ADB easy look into ArchLinux. One command install from the AUR.

Cheers.

On my Linux I don't have sudo, and I don't use UDEV rules, I just use adb binary, copy it to /usr/bin/adb

dougpiston

Jan 2, 2013
On my Linux I don't have sudo, and I don't use UDEV rules, I just use adb binary, copy it to /usr/bin/adb

What Distro is this? And it is simple to mv the binary to /bin I prefer to have the whole SDK installed. I'll just post the UDEV rules in another post for anyone else whom may want it.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
What Distro is this? And it is simple to mv the binary to /bin I prefer to have the whole SDK installed. I'll just post the UDEV rules in another post for anyone else whom may want it.

My Linux are custom built, I use 4 different Distro, all are custom built by me, for myself no one can build a better distro for my needs than I can, 1 is based on Mepis two are based on Kanotix 4th is based on Zen. yes copying files to /usr/bin is pretty simple.

grandcanon

Feb 13, 2013
Please Help...
succesfully installed CWM...
but when I use recovery to select install zip from sdcard it says no files found even though the zip files are in the sdcard:confused:
cannot install 1042_boot.zip:eek:

Moreover cannot push boot file to /sdcard it says :/sdcard is a directory
i tried /sdcard/ it was push there...

Last edited: