A couple of questions

ronin412

Feb 4, 2011
Hi I'm thinking of buying a Ziio 7'' I was just wondering a couple of things first. Does the Ziio run flash, I was just watching a youtube review which said it could not. And also, does the new Android online market work on the Ziio?

Thanks

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
No it does not have native Flash, although there may be devs working on a fix for this if there is enough interest. No, it does NOT currently have Market, nor does it have Gmail sync support.

ronin412

Feb 4, 2011
Thanks for the reply, guess I'll have to rethink my choice.... not that theres much in the price range in the UK

Kenif

Jan 20, 2011
The android market isn't available but there are loads of places to get apps.

Creative have the ZiiStore - this is very basic and you'll probably ignore it.
There is the SlideMe market - SlideME | Android Community and Application Marketplace - I've been fairly impressed with it.
Android Freeware: Best and Free Software for Android mobile platform has loads of apps too.

Lots of websites have their own apps to download

I won't post links in case it is against the rules, but i've also found forums with "paid" apps downloadable and a "pirate" market app.
Whilst these sites/app have illegal files - they also happen to have loads of the free apps that Market users have access to.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Sorry if I seemed short. As noted, there are many different ways to get apps to the tablet, I was only answering the questions about the official market and online access to same.

ronin412

Feb 4, 2011
Hi again, Thank you Kenif for the information... I've never had any thing running Android before and don't want to make a bad choice. And pbrauer I didn't think your answer was short, to be fair you answered what I asked. The main problem is the lack of flash, a lot of the website I look on run flash so I still don't know if this is for me. Which is a pity as I have a very generous girlfriend offering to buy me it for valentines day!!

Thanks again

Feb 2, 2011
Skyfire Browser can play flash...sort of...

Its not an exact solution, but "...[Skyfire's] new capabilities is Flash video playback. For that, Skyfire still uses a proxy approach: When you come to pages with Flash videos, it identifies them, compresses them, and converts them to H.264 and HTML5, then transfers them to your phone for playback. In other words, it’s getting around Android’s current lack of Flash support by turning Flash video into something that Android can support."

"Skyfire automatically scans for Flash-based video and, if found, automatically converts it to HTML5 in the cloud and optimizes it for mobile devices. This is said to result in smoother play, faster load times and a 30 percent reduction in battery life consumption compared to native Flash 10.1..."

Skyfire 2.1 for Android gets full Flash 10.1 support | Electronista

Furthermore, dartiss [a member in this forum] has been in touch with the Creative people and received an 'unofficail' communication that Android 2.2 is not the works for the Ziio - but no timeline.

I hope this new information helps you make a more informed decision.

Cheers Bro'!

Feb 2, 2011
Skyfire Browser can play flash...sort of...

Its not an exact solution, but "...[Skyfire's] new capabilities is Flash video playback. For that, Skyfire still uses a proxy approach: When you come to pages with Flash videos, it identifies them, compresses them, and converts them to H.264 and HTML5, then transfers them to your phone for playback. In other words, it’s getting around Android’s current lack of Flash support by turning Flash video into something that Android can support."

"Skyfire automatically scans for Flash-based video and, if found, automatically converts it to HTML5 in the cloud and optimizes it for mobile devices. This is said to result in smoother play, faster load times and a 30 percent reduction in battery life consumption compared to native Flash 10.1..."

http://www.electronista.com/articles/10/06/23/skyfire.v21.browser.now.out.for.android.devices/

Furthermore, dartiss [a member in this forum] has been in touch with the Creative people and received an 'unofficail' communication that Android 2.2 is not the works for the Ziio - but no timeline.

I hope this new information helps you make a more informed decision.

Cheers Bro'!

ronin412

Feb 4, 2011
Thanks for that information. I was also looking at the Archos 70 which sounds quite good on paper but I've had bad experiences with Archos in the past.

Thanks again everyone

Feb 2, 2011
@ ronin412:

I just re-read my last post (I am really not in the mood to work right now, so I am sitting here in my office, trawling tech blogs...); and I noticed a mistake. I mentioned in my last post that the the Creative Team are not working on the 2.2 update. That is wrong!!!

They ARE working on the 2.2 update, as dartiss informed us in his post. I do apologize if my mistake caused any major misunderstanding or concern. That was really careless of me!

Guys, once again I am sorry for making such a huge mistake. Boy, do I feel dumb!

You can read the entire thread in the following link:
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/creative-tablets/7041-creative-ziio-android-update.html