A Few Questions about the Le Pan II

AgActual

Mar 14, 2012
My brother told me about this tablet tonight and I have become extremely intrigued. For the last year i have been using a viewsonic g tablet with various roms on it and I just can't stand using it anymore. Most of the roms are only minimally stable, the touch screen is really unresponsive, and the viewing angles are horrible. I can't see anything unless i am looking head on and even that is really dark and shiny. I was actually thinking about getting an iPad 2 out of frustration (forgive me oh lord!) but i have hesitated since hearing about this. However, before I actually bust out my credit card, I have a few questions.

1. How are the viewing angles? Can you actually see the screen when looking at it from various angles? I know most tablets don't have viewing angle problems but the G tablet does and my god is it annoying.

2. How is the battery life? I probably need an absolute minimum of 7 hours of mixed use and 24 hours on standby. Can the LePan II handle that?

3. Is it reliable? On my G tablet, I get a lot of force closes and programs randomly restarting, especially the internet browser. I am so tired of that.

4. How load are the speakers? Again, can't hear anything from the g tablet speakers. I have sat in a silent room with the tablet a foot from my face and still couldn't hear the audio.

5. Are there cases that work with it? Like the ones that will prop the thing up at various angles?

6. Is the screen responsive? On the thing i currently have, i will be typing and sometimes i will have to hit the same letter 6 or 7 times before it finally registers. It gets really annoying, especially when i am in class.

7. Is the wifi reception good? The first tablet i owned (herotab C8) required me to be about 3 feet away form the wireless router in order to get a signal. Does the Le Pan II have that problem?

Alright, I think that is all i got. Sorry for all of the questions. I have just been burned two times now on tablets. Is this thing work it or should i just get a lobotomy and then buy an iPad?

Last edited:

Johna2u

May 21, 2011
1. Viewing angles are amazing. The picture is sharp bright and clear from any angle
2. Battery life is very good. I charge mine about every other day but could probably go three. I use it 3 or 4 hours a day.
3. Very reliable very few force closes. The le pan 1 is notorious for freezing and resets but my LP2 has never had to be reset. I do get the occasional force close, but I think that is more app related.
4. The speakers are a little quiet out of the box. If you install "EQualizer" from the market and put all the sliders to the top it is very loud.
5. Tons of cases fit it. Most cases for Ipad or HP Touchpad fit if you get the ones that have elastic straps at each corner.
6. Screen is super responsive.
7. Wi Fi is hit and miss. Mine works great. I have no problem and get a great signal all over my house. Some people report very poor Wi Fi performance. I think it is a combination of incorrect set up, some routers work better with the Le Pan than others and quality control by Le Pan.

I would highly recommend it. You might also be interested in an HP Touchpad. A great forum for Le Pan is http://www.forum.lepanlife.com/

Last edited:

AgActual

Mar 14, 2012
Thanks for the advice, good sir. I decided to make the leap and buy one of these. I will have it in about a week. In the mean time, any specific cases that would work well with this? You said that iPad cases work and I did compare the dimensions and they are virtually identical to the first gen iPad, so anything made for that should work, no? I hope so. There are so many out there that you can pick them up for close to nothing.

I am quite excited. I have been watching video reviews, reading comments, and have seen how they are sold out virtually everywhere, and all of this makes me think that this is going to be a great machine. People seem to love it and no one really seems to have anything bad to say. I mean an extremely fast processor, ICS, metal case, high reliability, and for only $260? Whats not to love? I am glad I didn't get an iPad.

Last edited:

Johna2u

May 21, 2011
targus truss case for hp touchpad is probably the most popular. i use a griffin elan portfolio for ipad and it fits great. at lepanlife.com there is a wholebthread on compatable accesories. one thing you should know. hdmi out is advertised as possible but they have yet to make a cable for it. ipad cables don't work. so at this point that feature does not work.

AgActual

Mar 14, 2012
I got my LePan II tonight and it is absolutely stunning. It has the outward appearance somewhat similar to that of an iPad, a design that i always liked, but the operating system is 100000x better. $280 was a steal. I can see why these things are sold out everywhere. Originally i ordered one from bestbuy.com but it ended up being out of stock, so i canceled that order and ended up finding one store in all of chicago that had them in stock. They said they got 9 in this morning and they were just about all gone by the time i got there. I am in shock over how amazing this tablet is and so are all of my friends. I am glad i listened to my brother on this one.

AgActual

Mar 14, 2012
I do actually have another question. How well is this tablet selling? For me it took days to track one down. Is this tablet a real up and comer or is Le Pan just a small company that can't turn out many of these things?

Johna2u

May 21, 2011
I wonder the same thing. They are very popular for sure. I suspect they have a hard time producing enough. It is an amazing piece of hardware. The company themselves seem to have a hard time keeping up with updates, accessories, etc. Their tech support in Fremont is very good. They honor warranty isues with no problem. Their engineering dept in China seems to be overwhelmed. The Le Pan 1 (TC970) was origially going to be a Polaroid brand tablet. I don't know what happened there. Definately some puzzle pieces missing. Still it is a mesmerizing device. I love mine.

Last edited by a moderator:

AgActual

Mar 14, 2012
This link will tell you all you want to know on cases:
Cases for the TC979.

I found a really nice first gen iPad case at a Big Lots today for $10. It fits perfectly. This has been an all around great experience so far. It has taken me 3 tries but I think i have finally found a tablet that will work for me.

I don't think you say it enough, this is an amazing tablet.

Johna2u

May 21, 2011
my wife has that big lots case. a Griffin portfolio. it does fit perfectly. i have the griffin for ipad2 it is just a little loose but works well it's leather.

AgActual

Mar 14, 2012
1. How are the viewing angles? Can you actually see the screen when looking at it from various angles? I know most tablets don't have viewing angle problems but the G tablet does and my god is it annoying.

2. How is the battery life? I probably need an absolute minimum of 7 hours of mixed use and 24 hours on standby. Can the LePan II handle that?

3. Is it reliable? On my G tablet, I get a lot of force closes and programs randomly restarting, especially the internet browser. I am so tired of that.

4. How load are the speakers? Again, can't hear anything from the g tablet speakers. I have sat in a silent room with the tablet a foot from my face and still couldn't hear the audio.

5. Are there cases that work with it? Like the ones that will prop the thing up at various angles?

6. Is the screen responsive? On the thing i currently have, i will be typing and sometimes i will have to hit the same letter 6 or 7 times before it finally registers. It gets really annoying, especially when i am in class.

7. Is the wifi reception good? The first tablet i owned (herotab C8) required me to be about 3 feet away form the wireless router in order to get a signal. Does the Le Pan II have that problem?

Now that I have the tablet, I know the answers to all of these questions and since i am extremely bored tonight, i will answer them.

1. No problem with the viewing angles. I played a game of chess today with a friend, the tablet was flat on the table, and neither one of us had any trouble seeing the screen. Also my girlfriend and I were cooking, and we had the tablet set up to watch a show on netflix. Moving on the around kitchen did not affect the ability to see the screen at all.

2. I used the thing all day during class, so about 4 hours there and about 2 hours while doing homework, and it still has about 35% battery life left. I would say at least 7 hours of continuous use, probably more.

3. There are a few minor problems here and there. One or two force closes and it shut itself off twice for some reason but after i uninstalled a certain widget, it seemed to work fine again, so who knows?

4. The speakers are ok. They certainly work in a quiet room but i do have trouble hearing some lower quality audio, like recordings, on occasion.

5. It seems that any iPad case works just fine with it. I had no trouble finding one.

6. The screen seems very good. Sometimes it won't register a keystroke on the first attempt but i don't know many devices that have perfect touchscreens. Certainly nothing like the G tablet.

7. The wifi is the best i have found on a tablet that i have owned, so far. It picked up a wifi signal from the school's wireless in a classroom that my last tablet couldn't get a signal in and that no one's iPads get signals in. The ability to get a signal, at least in that case, seems to be better than just about every tablet and laptop that my classmates have, so the lepan seems to be a winner on that front.

Johna2u

May 21, 2011
for the volume issue get EQualizer from the market. put the sliders to the top. sound will be much louder