A Honeycomb thread (lets move all conversations we are having here)

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
It LOOKS as simple as when I auto-nootered.. Is it that easy? What are the risks?

It is actually easier...as long as you can write the image to your SD card.

It doesn't actually write anything to the internal drive of the nook, so it would seem that the actual risk would be minimal.

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Hey everyone, in an effort to consolidate the multiple conversation threads on running Honeycomb on the Nook, I thought creating a single thread for all discussions would be good.

First thoughts?

Screenshots? (I don't even know if you can take a screenshot in honeycomb at this point)

Assistance with anyone wanting to try it out.

Here is the link to the XDA thread that deeper-blue created

Android 3.0 Honeycomb Image - now with sound (02/02/2011) - xda-developers

For those that don't have an account at XDA here is the original post from that thread

*02/02/2011 updated to v02*
*now with sound and some graphics improvements. Can play non-hd videos from m.youtube.com site. Also sdcard storage is available now.*

I decided to release what I have so far. May everybody have some fun with it.
But first of all I have to thank the CM people, especially mbm, nemith, fattire and cvpcs for their work on gingerbread which helped me a lot in understanding where to look and what to patch.

What works:
-Graphics acceleration
-Accelerometer
-Wireless!
-Touchscreen
-Buttons
-Sleep/Wakeup stuff
-Sound!

Doesn't work:
-DSP e.g. no hardware video decoding

The whole thing is based on the honeycomb emulator images, the B&N V1.1 kernel+modules+driver, pieces from the upcoming CM7 and manual patching ARM assembler in libraries and writing ugly scripts to hack around various issues.

Use this on your own risk! I'm not responsible for any damages!

The unzipped image is around 4gb. I use it on a 8gb sd-card. In principle the image should work on a 4gb card.

MD5 (nookhoney02.img.zip) = a46c9ef45c0bd12ea06e1e4a9cab01a1
http://www.rbrune.de/nookhoney02.img.zip.torrent
http://www.rbrune.de/nookhoney02.img.zip

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
anyone know if it has flash?

No...I went to youtube and you can see the thumbnails, but as soon as you click a clip, the screen goes black...it says the video is playing (you can watch the marker move...but no actual video)

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
While using the browser in Honeycomb, I came here to post...the browser recognized that our site was optimized for Android and offered the app to me and take me to the app in the market...but of course I didn't have the market installed so it didn't actually work.

It was still cool that it recognized there was an app for our forum.

l_n

Dec 28, 2010
That's tapatalk recognizing the android uagent string (server-side). Try this: put about:debug in your address bar and press enter. Now you will have more settings available to you, including changing your uagent string. It will look like it didn't do anything until you press menu.

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
That's tapatalk recognizing the android uagent string (server-side). Try this: put about:debug in your address bar and press enter. Now you will have more settings available to you, including changing your uagent string. It will look like it didn't do anything until you press menu.

cool, I will have to try this tonight when I reload honeycomb onto my SD card.

l_n

Dec 28, 2010
It's not honeycomb.. It works for at least eclair and higher.

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
It's not honeycomb.. It works for at least eclair and higher.

Oh...all right...and here I thought I found some nugget in honeycomb...LOL

In my defense, this NC is my first Android Device.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Yet another hc thread, which there are too many already. Time for a merge. :)

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
How did this thread go kaput at 3:00pm??? Oh well, it's after dinner now...I just booted into Honeycomb...and nearly died from bliss. WOW!!!!!! I'm almost speechless, it's that gorgeous.

Sidenote: if getting a fully working version of Honeycomb (or heck, even Gingerbread) means losing the stock B&N user interface...well, I'm sure I can find a way to explain it to my wife!

-Matt

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
OK, I have the power of speech again.

I'm just floored at how good the browser is...how smooth the screen transitions are. I guess, with all the speculation about "hardware minima" that I thought 3.0 would be out of reach. But the Nook makes it look so do-able!!!

Vic, have you installed a working Market?

-Matt

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
OK, I have the power of speech again.

I'm just floored at how good the browser is...how smooth the screen transitions are. I guess, with all the speculation about "hardware minima" that I thought 3.0 would be out of reach. But the Nook makes it look so do-able!!!

Vic, have you installed a working Market?

-Matt

Yes...adb worked well. Installed gmail app...some apps dont want to install though...just says install failed. Going to check out youtube. Still surprised how snappy hc is on the nook