A Honeycomb thread (lets move all conversations we are having here)

jdog

Jan 26, 2011
While home at lunch today watching SportsCenter, I decided to take another short video: My NC - Honeycomb boot up and working demonstration.

How'd you load that awesome boot image of a ceiling fan? haha j/k I burned the 4 gig honeycomb and loaded it up tonight. Pretty impressive already....almost usable even. Biggest problems I had were periodic sluggish touch responses and force closes for anything that tries to launch camera functions. I love the browser and the screen management function.

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
How recent? Saw one or two a few weeks ago. You got a link?

Oh, I think it was from back in December, right after root became available...I will find the link

Last edited by a moderator:

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Yea saw it. It was a pretty good head to head comparison; the NC held it's own. Funny thing is he was on 1.0.0 and the NC has gotten most better since then. :)

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
I couldn't believe how long it took that Gal Tab to boot up...that is just ridiculous! Hell, my mom's Win XP with 512MB of RAM boots up faster than that thing.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Count me in with the Honeycomb crowd :) Just placed the honeybunches 2gb on my card and booted without issue. Will check it out and see what is working.

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
What's honeybunches? And how did it fit on 2GB? I couldn't get the Honeycomb ROM on my 4GB! :mad:

-Matt

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Yeah, seems to work great on a 4GB (glad I have class 10 for super speed). Checking in the HC system settings it only detects 282MB of space on the card. then is lists 495MB space as "Internal Storage" with 0.0MB to Media usage and 22.55MB to Application usage leaving 401MB available.

Since this is running on the card I am not sure if "SD card" and what it sees as "Internal storage" are really both on the card or if it can actuall see the internal storage which in that case should be much larger.

It does appear that either way you should have some room to try out various apps.

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
On the link you gave, I saw mention of EASUS partition manager. Had me wondering if you partition the card before writing...if that allows the Nook to see the 2nd partition as additional external memory?

-Matt

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I saw that as well and wondered the same thing. Since I hadn't tried running Honeycomb yet I decided to just try the basic image to disk first and see how it went. So far I can say this is truly awesome. I don't think I grasped how great HC is just by reading all of your posts and seeing the videos. It truly is a quantum leap forward in tablet OS in actual use.

Now that I know the awesomeness, I might go back and try partioning to see if Ican get more usable space.

seankalub

Dec 31, 2010
Installed Honeycomb, then went to Overclock my CPU but couldn't figure out how to partition my sd card to read both honeycomb and the 1GHz Kernal. When I unmounted my SD card from my NC and plugged it in my computer, it kept wanting to format my SD card.

Can someone help?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
On the link you gave, I saw mention of EASUS partition manager. Had me wondering if you partition the card before writing...if that allows the Nook to see the 2nd partition as additional external memory?

-Matt

Ok, I have been reading through that XDA thread and I think it is a misconception on our part that using the 2GB gives you more room on the card. Before I went back and read the thread I tried several different partitions to see if I could have more app space but nothing worked.

As far as I can tell the size of the HC you image on to the SD card will determine how much usable space the HC system sees. That is to say that if you use the 4GB image you will have more usable app space than if you use the 2GB image regardless of the size of the disk. I believe the main advantage for the 2GB file is for the developers to be able to run it on smaller cheaper cards. So you get less usable space for HC to work with but you aren't stuck using your 4GB or larger card.

I am still going to use the 2GB image because it seems to be the more complete of the two options at the moment. If anybody disagrees with this assesment of the HC size issue, please let me know and provide some instuctions on how to partition correctly for more app space.

-JP

rogand

Jan 26, 2011
That explanation makes perfect sense, as it's a matter of the address range in the memory map so allocated.
We used to produce (back in my Motorola/Freescale days) some linux systems used for vector analysis (bus sniffing stuff) in various shipping memory space configurations, and the only difference was the number and type of installed flash SIMMs, and a couple lines in a config file that was read at the earliest stage of u-boot coming up. You could of course easily run a 1G config (large, 5 years ago, at least for very fast flash) on a 2 or 4g system, but not the converse. This seems exactly the same deal.
Otoh, I could be totally off base ;)