A humble request....

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
Hey Gang,

First off I would like to thank everyone for the incredible amount of support offered to noobs and the slightly more experienced, such as myself;). This forum has really been amazing and I am certain I wouldn't be enjoying my NC even half as much if it weren't for all of you. So give yourselves a pat on the back.

On to my request... The brand new FAQ is a great addition, one thing that seems missing is a (somewhat) definitive list of exactly what ROMs, and what components each one supports, are available for the Nook Color. I realize that this information is available throughout several threads but I was more curious if anyone was working on a more precise list.

Faceman's Idiot's guide notwithstanding. This would hopefully be in addition to that excellent beginning as he has indicated there is indeed more work to be done. I would also like to offer my help in creating and curating such a list if it does exist I would be more than happy to keep it updated.

So here goes...

My thoughts are that it should include but not be limited to:

Nooters-and which corresponding B&N stock roms they work with.

CWR- Though this has been an active and contentious issue it seems that most of the issues have been ironed out.

ROMs- Nookie Froyo, CM7 RC1 vs CM7 nightlies, Phiremod beta et al., Rooted Stock B&N. And the rapidly approaching Honeycomb.

Again, I realize that with the hyperactive pace of Android development definitive guides can be rendered obsolete overnight. I also realize that all of this info to one degree or another is spread out between the Nook/Technical forums I am just hoping that I can help distill it into a more clearly realized source for current members and the new additions as well. With a B&N sponsored Froyo build right around the corner I think our ranks are going to grow rather rapidly so why not try and make things as easy as we can before things get even crazier :).

As I mentioned in another thread a few of my friends are really interested, or have already ordered a Nook Color. Some of them are less tech-savvy than myself. While I can easily help them with the basics and point them in the direction of this fine forum, I would love to be able to have a one stop sticky for the above mentioned topics to point them to.

Again my thanks to everyone for all the hard work and as always if there is anything at all that I can do to make this happen please don't hesitate to ask.

Sincerely,

Local Stain

Edit: Credit where credit is due, :cool:Faceman:cool:

Last edited:

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Local that is a great idea and understand that anyone can create a thread that we can move to the faq forum. Feel free to write it up and when its done we can move it over there.

Like faceman creating a thread for his intro guide..that way there is a thread for discussion and the faq for just the guide

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
Local that is a great idea and understand that anyone can create a thread that we can move to the faq forum. Feel free to write it up and when its done we can move it over there.

Like faceman creating a thread for his intro guide..that way there is a thread for discussion and the faq for just the guide

Just edited to indicate that I was following his lead. And thanks Darme'en for the encouragement. I am going to try to start gathering the relevant bits and hopefully with the assistance of the gang I can make it a little more cohesive.

Cheers

LS

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011
I'm gonna piggie back on your post LS and ask for a sticky thread that is updated with all the working ROMs for the NC (with links?). I'm trying to get one similar done for the Viewsonic section. There are several [ROM] sticky threads but I think 1 to outline them all would be a great 1 stop shop for everyone.

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
I'm gonna piggie back on your post LS and ask for a sticky thread that is updated with all the working ROMs for the NC (with links?). I'm trying to get one similar done for the Viewsonic section. There are several [ROM] sticky threads but I think 1 to outline them all would be a great 1 stop shop for everyone.

And away we go...

caulktel

Jan 21, 2011
I'm looking forward to this, and thanks in advance to all those that contribute to it.

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
Just to add to the discussion, once moderated (is that the right adjective?) I began a discussion with the other NC mods about working on a private 'task list' for us so we can try to knock out the things we know are missing.. so your thread is a wonderful kick off to what people are looking for, your items will be added to our task list. :)

LocalStain

Feb 10, 2011
Moderate-a-tated /thereifixedit, Thanks for the input Face.

After a quick review I have determined that a little focus may be in order as well. While attempting to track down the various links etc, not only was I side-tracked by the Google music developments:cool:, I realized that most of the early rooting steps/nooters are well-covered for the most part and also outside of my realm. As soon as I rooted my NC and flashed there was really no looking back. I don't think I will ever go back to stock unless I have to and I will burn, um, cross that bridge when I come to it.:eek:

So that leaves CWR and ROMs, again the CWR is well covered if not all linked to the same thread so maybe that is the best route for that information stream. On to...

ROMs; an incomplete list, if anyone can add or subtract to this list I will gather the links into one post. I'd like to keep it to flashable emmc builds as just about anything will boot from sd...Most importantly I need to know what works, basic stock features, and what doesn't in each individual build and if there are multiple versions of each :confused: What one has to gain/lose by flashing up.

Any and all input is welcomed

Stock B&N Nook-Rooted-Eclair 2.1

Nookie Froyo-Froyo 2.2

Phiremod-Beta 2 vs ver4-Gingerbread 2.3 (CM7n8base?)

CM7-RC1, vs Nightlies-Gingerbread 2.3

Honeycomb 3.0 :)cool:currently only preview lets hope that changes soon:cool:)

So that's what I got so far.

Cheers

LS.

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Here is some info

phiremod beta2 custom rom
Froyo Android 2.2
-Has a 1.1 ghz froyo kernel

Everything basically works...
-youtube
-flash player (uninstall and reinstall a couple times)
-nintendo 64 emulator
-email
-talk
-launchers
And more

Problems....
-Have to toggle wifi off and on after sleep (wake timer fix)
-black on black menu items
-have to turn screen off then on quickly to improve touch responsiveness.
-shutsdown at sleep sometimes (rarely)

Hope this helps

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk