A2109 Kernel Experiments

joebine

Jan 14, 2015
I used it for about half an hour and it hangs 3 times...

Bluetooth audio not working. Bluetooth headset connect to the tablet but no sound in headset.
A bit longer to boot.
Flashing problem is gone after HW overlays is disable but we have to disabled it each time we boot the tablet.
Do not seems more stable in CM12.1 but seams a bit faster then kernel 3.1

Will do some testing tomorrow.

joebine

Jan 14, 2015
I left the tablet open last night and the battery was almost full.
This morning the battery was completly dead. It look Like it had not went to deep sleep.

Envoyé de mon A2109A en utilisant Tapatalk

PJBrs

Developer
Dec 29, 2014
Thanks very much for testing! Interesting that you charged to 100%... That deep sleep issue is new to me, I left my 3.4 install laying around and it lasted a couple of days (AOSP). I also verified that bluetooth audio doesn't seem to work. I'll be away from my developing work for a couple of weeks. Perhaps if you find the time, it might help a lot if you could:
  • Capture logcat while connecting to bluetooth audio and playing some music
  • Capture /proc/kmsg while connecting to bluetooth audio and playing some music
  • Capture /proc/kmsg until android hangs
That last bit, I hope, will yield the same hang that I reported here. Something with unpowergate. Importantly it should say something about a powergate id, which should be either 1 or 13. I have an idea to work around it. More importantly, in my sources I merged nvidia's tree rather sloppily into google's android-common 3.4 tree, so perhaps I should have been a bit less sloppy.

One more thing... I've been browsing around in /sys/ to find possibly interesting parameters that might affect the graphical glitchiness. Haven't found any, but I haven't looked around in /sys/debug...

joebine

Jan 14, 2015
  • Capture logcat while connecting to bluetooth audio and playing some music
  • Capture /proc/kmsg while connecting to bluetooth audio and playing some music
  • Capture /proc/kmsg until android hangs

Can you tell me how to capture all this on the tablet?

I had done some other testing (I am with CM 12.1), I played a game (Lara Croft Go) for about 1 hour without any lags or hangs. It was very smouth and fluid. After that I start Angry Birds 2 and it start to lags a lot and finally hang.

I also try some options in the developers options without success.

joebine

Jan 14, 2015
I recharged it today and it charge to 100%

When I charged it, the battery was completely dead so I charge it not powered on and it goes to 100%

Today, I recharged it but this time it was powered on and it will not charge more then 96%...

PJBrs

Developer
Dec 29, 2014
Can you tell me how to capture all this on the tablet?

The only way i know is via adb. I think you're familiar with that? The general steps are: activate developer settings, then activate adb, and then under root access (still in developer settings) allow root access for adb.

For kernel message, open a shell via adb. Connect (via USB) your tablet to a computer that has adb installed. Make sure that adb is in your path. Open a terminal on your computer. Then do:
Code:
adb shell
su
cat /proc/kmsg

Now start using your tablet like you would normally do, while keeping an eye on the log messages rolling by on your computer. Keep the tablet connected.

For logcat, perform all previous steps, except this time, give the following terminal command:

Code:
adb logcat

I had done some other testing (I am with CM 12.1), I played a game (Lara Croft Go) for about 1 hour without any lags or hangs. It was very smouth and fluid. After that I start Angry Birds 2 and it start to lags a lot and finally hang.

I also try some options in the developers options without success.

Thanks for trying!!!

Does Angry Birds produce a hang quickly?

joebine

Jan 14, 2015
Does Angry Birds 2 produce a hang quickly?

Yes, at the beginning of the game it start to lag and soon after it hang.

Today, I recharged it but this time it was powered on and it will not charge more then 96%...

I left the tablet open all night after I had done this charge and in the morning I still got over 90% of charge. I don't know what happen the other night.

I had done more testing with the tablet. In some apps it is going like a charm and in others it lags a lot and it hangs sometimes.

I notice that when I have other apps in the back ground running, I have more lags ans problems then if I kill all apps before starting an app. I try to disable all back ground activities in developer option but it did not help.

joebine

Jan 14, 2015
It hang again but it seams that only the screen is not responding. I can access all the files in the tablet by ADB from my PC.

joebine

Jan 14, 2015
This is the capture of kmsg when i connect bluetooth.

Attachments

• kmsg_bluetooth.txt
    89.7 KB · Views: 448

joebine

Jan 14, 2015
This is the capture of logcat. In this file I had connected the bluetooth headset and at the end of the logcat file, the tablet had hang.

Attachments

• Logcat_bluetooth_Hang.txt
    428.2 KB · Views: 836

joebine

Jan 14, 2015
Here the kmsg file from the time I boot the tablet and the time I can not do anything with it. At the end the screen was black.

Attachments

• kmsg_hang.txt
    181 KB · Views: 562

PJBrs

Developer
Dec 29, 2014
Hi, well.... One thing I had was a nice summer holiday away from computers :)

More seriously though, I've found one parameter that maybe can fix the graphics hang. But I don't understand what happens with Angry Birds 2. Nor do I understand why the screen hangs, I don't remember it doing so before. It's a bit beyond my level.

I've also been looking at kernel 3.1 again. I've found a nice Marshmallow branch for a different tegra3 tablet which should come in handy. But I've also noticed that recent Android security bulletins include many kernel issues that need to be backported to 3.1. That's hard, now that Google doesn't maintain a 3.1 kernel anymore.

So, for the future kernel 3.4 would be much preferable over 3.1, but I really don't understand these bugs that we're seeing.