A70 with Froyo cannot connect to OWA

firefox111

Dec 3, 2010
Hello. I updated my A70 last night to 2.2, set up my yahoo email but did not set up the account for our work Exchange Server. Instead, I want to use OWA. But the stock browser cannot connect. It takes a long time trying to connect and then finally quit. Is the stock browser capable to https?

Thanks in advance.

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
Yes it is,SSL should work. I can connect with our corporate OWA on all of my Tablets (including my A101/16, It is a compatibility of the OWA front end, I would suggest you check with your OWA and discover what they have as a front end, Direct, Proxy, reverse-proxy or other options. What they have done is causing the incompatibility. Sorry for your inconvenience.

firefox111

Dec 3, 2010
I did not do anything but it now works. I'm at work connected to an wifi access point facing the Internet. At home last night, I had trouble connecting. I'll try it again when I get home later.

Yes it is,SSL should work. I can connect with our corporate OWA on all of my Tablets (including my A101/16, It is a compatibility of the OWA front end, I would suggest you check with your OWA and discover what they have as a front end, Direct, Proxy, reverse-proxy or other options. What they have done is causing the incompatibility. Sorry for your inconvenience.

nomadjim

Oct 28, 2010
firefox

It sound like if your able to connect to OWA in the office and not at your home. You may need to VPN to your works network to be able to access your Outlook mail from outside of the office.

Jim

firefox111

Dec 3, 2010
No, our OWA does not need VPN as it is using SSL with an ISA Server firewall as an entry point. At work, we have an Internet facing wifi access point for visitors and trading partners who come and visit us in our facility. My laptop at home can connect to OWA using IE or Firefox with no problem. But the A70 last night was really taking a long that the web page is not found.

Well, I just tried again and it's the same problem. Yet, I can connect using my laptop right now. I'm using the same wireless router!

firefox

It sound like if your able to connect to OWA in the office and not at your home. You may need to VPN to your works network to be able to access your Outlook mail from outside of the office.

Jim

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
No, our OWA does not need VPN as it is using SSL with an ISA Server firewall as an entry point. At work, we have an Internet facing wifi access point for visitors and trading partners who come and visit us in our facility. My laptop at home can connect to OWA using IE or Firefox with no problem. But the A70 last night was really taking a long that the web page is not found.

Well, I just tried again and it's the same problem. Yet, I can connect using my laptop right now. I'm using the same wireless router!

OK, so your shop is using the "default" ISA as the border gateway to the OWA Server. I would assume when you try it from work, you are using the "guest" wlan which is a special WLAN for non-work devices. They may have a special rule for testing on the Guest WLAN to your OWA server.
I would suggest doing one of two things. First, go to a Starbucks and attempt connectivity with your 101. This will eliminate your work ISA gateway as the culprit. If you can connect from Starbucks and not home, it is something about your home environment which is causing the block.
Otherwise, the ISA gateway config.
The other thing to try is to turn to ask your network staff if they have the work WLAN set up differently for OWA connections than the Internet facing settings.

There are many variables but if you can determine whether it is home caused or ISA caused it will lead you to the cause.

firefox111

Dec 3, 2010
I would suggest doing one of two things. First, go to a Starbucks and attempt connectivity with your 101. This will eliminate your work ISA gateway as the culprit. If you can connect from Starbucks and not home, it is something about your home environment which is causing the block.
Otherwise, the ISA gateway config.
The other thing to try is to turn to ask your network staff if they have the work WLAN set up differently for OWA connections than the Internet facing settings.

There are many variables but if you can determine whether it is home caused or ISA caused it will lead you to the cause.

Thanks for your suggestions. I don't think the culprit is in my home environment and I can't blame it on the ISA server gateway either because, at home, my android phone and my laptop (and netbook) can connect to OWA. But not my Archos 70.

One of the reasons why I bought the Archos 70 is that I want to stop bringing along my laptop. I am the "network staff" at work. I always respond to IT emergencies at work.

I am confused why it was able to connect to OWA when connected to the public wireless access point at work. This access point, although it is in the same physical building is totally segregated from our internal LAN and WLAN. It utilizes it's own Internet connection separate from the Internet connection used and protected by our ISA server.

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
You can do one of three things then. I think we are in agreement that it is a network prob and not at the Exchange. There is not a good Sniffer yet for Android "yet". Either:
1. Use a 802.11x Sniffer at home, and isolate your 101 and look for something which is causing the drops.
2. Inspect the ISA logs at the same time as you attempt your connections, (I am thinking, Remoting to the ISA from home and watching the logs as you attempt.
3. Use a product like Web-Scarab to capture the web/443 traffic in a test and look for drops, runts, frags.

But you catch my drift. I am sure.