Accessing Kyros MID7015 folders

Flautando

Feb 7, 2011
Hi. I start by apologizing in case my doubt has already been answered elsewhere on this forum. This is my first post and I'm somewhat lost here...

I bought my Kyros basically for reading e-books and PDF files while also being able to access the Web. I was told by the seller that this tablet can also be used as a typical ebook reader like Kindle or Sony (LCD off, like e-ink) if only I downloaded an app that would activate such feature. So far not only I couldn't find that app, but I don't even know how to make my Adobe Reader find the PDF files that I uploaded to my Kyros from my PC. Adobe Reader opens normally but says it "sees" no PDF files to be read. Two questions then:

1) How do I make Adobe Reader find those files (which I have uploaded to the internal memory)?

2) Is it really possible for this tablet to work like an e-ink reader (LCD off)?

Any help most appreciated and I thank you in advance for your time.

Last edited:

BKenney

Dec 10, 2010
Well Flautando I can answer question 1 easily, but question 2 I honestly don't understand what you're asking? Do you mean reading with the LCD backlight off?

To answer question 1, you need to install a file manager like "ASTRO" which can easily be done via the Google Marketplace or Appslib if you haven't installed the Google Market yet. You can then navigate to the location of the PDF file you would like to open and then select it, the file should then open with Adobe Reader or will at least ask you what application to open it with. To make things easier next time you can even check the "make this default" option to ensure PDF files always open with Adobe Reader.

There really isn't any way to add files to a library within the Adobe Reader application yet. There are several other apps available that will allow you to create a library of PDF files on either storage (NAND or SD).

Hope this helps!

Sue7M3

Staff member
Jan 2, 2011
2) Is it really possible for this tablet to work like an e-ink reader (LCD off)?

Any help most appreciated and I thank you in advance for your time.

No. It's not an e-ink screen, it's an LCD. You can adjust the brightness but there is absolutely no way to make work like e-ink. I'm not sure where you heard it was, but they are seriously misinformed.

hydro

Feb 9, 2011
I am new here as well and just purchased a MID7015 for my daughter, primarily as a book reader. Having MUCH difficulty getting this thing to work. It seems that I need a file manager to create and work with folders, but Astro does not show up in the AppsLib. I searcged for Google Marketplace and that is not available either. What does work on this device?

Sue7M3

Staff member
Jan 2, 2011
I am new here as well and just purchased a MID7015 for my daughter, primarily as a book reader. Having MUCH difficulty getting this thing to work. It seems that I need a file manager to create and work with folders, but Astro does not show up in the AppsLib. I searcged for Google Marketplace and that is not available either. What does work on this device?

Please read the stickies at the top and use the search feature. Your questions have been discussed in depth and there are easy step by step instructions for getting the Android Market on your tablet. Thanks and welcome!

hydro

Feb 9, 2011
Sorry Sue but dismissing my question by telling me to "read the stickies" doesn't cut it. I read through them already and found no mention of how to find either Astro file manager or access to the Google Marketplace through the AppsLib. I have no intention of having to root this device merely to get it to do something.

Flautando's OP asked how to work with internal files and both BKenney and Ridgeland answered with apps that the Kyros AppsLib cannot find. Are they not available through the AppsLib?

Sue7M3

Staff member
Jan 2, 2011
Sorry Sue but dismissing my question by telling me to "read the stickies" doesn't cut it. I read through them already and found no mention of how to find either Astro file manager or access to the Google Marketplace through the AppsLib. I have no intention of having to root this device merely to get it to do something.

Flautando's OP asked how to work with internal files and both BKenney and Ridgeland answered with apps that the Kyros AppsLib cannot find. Are they not available through the AppsLib?

You need to reign in the attitude. If you had read the stickies you would understand that there is no way to access the Android Marketplace through Appslib. You have to root your tablet and that will allow you to add it. There are step by step instructions in several of the stickies. If you refuse to root it, you are out of luck as far as the Android Marketplace, period. It's only accessible if you root your tablet.

Ridgeland

Dec 14, 2010
I installed Android Marketplace but had so many ill side effects that I reinstalled update.zip and am not using Market any more. I keep thinking I should start a thread about all the other ways to get apps besides Market. AppLibs is one. SlideMe is one. GoogleCode is one. Source is one (i.e. Adobe for Adobe reader). Although AppsBrain depends on Market they often list the source which works great and sometimes you find apps there that are also on AppsLib. The app I posted was from my "Source" group. AppsLib can be a release or two behind the source sometimes.

The Coby shipped "rooted". You can see this when you plug in the USB. It says "USB debugging connected" - you have to do something to not have the USB have root access. I recommend the steps for "rooting" to get superuser.apk, clockworkmod and recovery.img so you can do backups and restores. Google Android Market, well after a backup you can try it then return to the backup point to blow it off if you want to.

Sue7M3

Staff member
Jan 2, 2011
From my experience with AppsLib the apps were badly outdated. For whatever reason they don't offer the latest versions. I've heard decent things about AppsBrain though.

What ill effects did you experience? I haven't had any problems myself.

Ridgeland

Dec 14, 2010
First USB connection - before Market and again after removing Market - I connect the USB cable - I slide down the message bar - (pt A) I select USB connected (External) - [Mount] (pt B) and an icon appears on my PC desktop within 2 seconds. With Market - same except at (pt B) wait but nothing happens - so back to (pt A) after four tries it connects. Eventually I just gave up on USB mount and used adb to move files. This was slower by a factor of 10 I later discovered.
Probably the longest thread on this forum is about the sleep not sleeping with Market installed. With Market the tablet wakes up every 5 minutes. Without Market after 10-15 hours of testing I've yet to see it wake itself up before I tell it to.
Keyboard is also more suspect with Market. Dumping Market and reinstalling I found the keyboard was more responsive. I think with Market the little CPU is so busy doing Google things that it ignores the user.
It also boots faster without all the apps Market adds.
I suspect there are other issues I have not noticed.

Sue7M3

Staff member
Jan 2, 2011
I haven't had any problems with the USB mount or keyboard and I turn my Kyros off when I'm not using it so the sleep issue isn't one for me. I found Appslib to be absolutely horrible. Everyone's mileage will vary of course!

Swould333

Aug 5, 2010
Astro is in Appslib....

AppsLib

it looks funky 'cause of oriental script lettering but it's the same app as in the android market.. and yes it is in english on your device
once you get it installed i would sugest enableing the the "browser dolads" option.... it will allow you to download app files right from the browser.. meaning you wont have to DL them on the pc and then transfer to the SD... you can DL them straight to the device and when they're done and the DL says complete click the notification in the bar and it should take you to the install dialouge screen..

As far as ereader apps for this thing.. when i had mine... I liked Laputa then Aldiko... both are in the appslib market