According to a New Survey 90% of Consumers have Tablet Fever

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Jan 5, 2011
Samsung-Galaxy-Tab-101-fever.jpg

I always find surveys "dubious" at best, and this one is no different. Samsung released their findings from a survey they hired a company called Kelton Research to perform. Some of the findings are fairly interesting, but their claim that 90% of consumers have "tablet fever", and either own a tablet or would consider buying one, seems a tad out of proportion. It seems more like "wishful thinking" to me.

At any rate, here are some of their findings. The survey, of 1000 people polled, deduced that people would do the following with their tablets in these percentages:
  • 76%: reading the news or books
  • 64%: watching TV shows or movies
  • 61%: listening to music
  • 56%: updating their social networking profiles
  • 53%: play games instead of on a PC or standalone video game console
  • 44%: take pictures or film videos
  • 41%: video chat with loved ones
  • 34%: or stay connected with their co-workers
Oh noes! I can feel my temperature rising. I just gotta go out and buy me a tablet right now! :D

Seriously though, maybe that might start being true here in a year or so... What do you guys think?

Below is the full press release of the survey from Samsung:
Power and Portability of Mobile Tablets Push New Popularity in the U.S.

New Samsung Mobile Survey Reveals 90 Percent of U.S. Consumers
Already Own or Are Considering Purchasing a Tablet

DALLAS (June 7, 2011)— Samsung Mobile, the No. 1 mobile phone provider in the U.S. 1, today announced the results of an online survey that showed that mobile tablets are becoming the new must-have device for an overwhelming majority of Americans. The survey revealed that 90 percent of U.S. consumers either already own a tablet or would consider buying one.

The survey examined the most common use cases for mobile tablets among Americans who already own or would consider purchasing a mobile tablet, include:

76%: reading the news or books
64%: watching TV shows or movies
61%: listening to music
56%: updating their social networking profiles

More than half (53%) of survey respondents would choose to use their mobile tablet to play games instead of on a PC or standalone video game console. In addition, the survey showed Americans would use a tablet to take pictures or film videos (44%), video chat with loved ones (41%) or stay connected with their co-workers (34%).

The survey was conducted as part of Samsung’s upcoming retail launch of the Samsung Galaxy Tab™ 10.1, the world’s thinnest tablet measuring just 8.6 millimeters thin and weighing 1.24 pounds. The Galaxy Tab 10.1 is powered by Android™ 3.1 Honeycomb, offering faster and smoother transitions between different applications, more intuitive navigation to and from home screens and broader support of USB accessories, external keyboards, joysticks and gamepads. The Galaxy Tab 10.1 is designed with an NVIDIA Tegra 1GHz dual core application processor for powerful gaming and multimedia performance. The Tab’s ultra-thin design does not sacrifice battery life, thanks to a 7000 mAh battery providing up to 9 hours of continuous use on a single charge.2

From June 8, the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 WiFi edition will be available exclusively at the Best Buy Union Square location in New York City. It can also be pre-ordered from select retail partners. Starting June 17, the Galaxy Tab 10.1 will be available at Best Buy online and in-store along with Fry’s Electronics, Amazon.com, Micro Center, Tiger Direct and Newegg. These retail outlets will have 16GB version of the Galaxy Tab 10.1 WiFi edition for $499, and the 32GB version of the device will be available for $599. In addition, the WiFi version of the Galaxy Tab 10.1 will be available through Sprint starting mid-summer 2011. Visit SAMSUNG for additional details.

The national survey, commissioned by Samsung Mobile, was conducted by Kelton Research and included 1,000 Americans ages 18 and older.

*All decimals are rounded to the nearest percentage point. This may result in certain numerical totals adding up to slightly more or slightly less than 100%.

1 Number one mobile phone provider in the U.S claim for Samsung Mobile based upon reported shipment data, according to Strategy Analytics, Q1 2011 U.S. Market Share Handset Shipments Reports.

2 Battery power consumption depends on factors such as network configuration, signal strength, operating temperature, features selected, vibrate mode, backlight settings, browser use, and frequency of data and other application usage patterns.
Source: GalaxyTabForums.net via BGR

MarkWF1

Jun 5, 2011
Good article dgstorm,

I think there pretty right on actually. It started with our phones, most anything these tablets can do, our high end smart phones can do just as well.. Stepping up to a larger view window and allowing for the media outlets to grow and mature into what the tablets can offer the consumer. Means that the tablets have a fire under theme right now. It wont die down till the middle/end of next year is my guess. When the general public's education and awareness balances out with the technology and offerings that are out there with whats being pushed in the media markets.. In the end my take is that the media drives it, the tech allows for it to happen. One without the other just ain't going to happen. Put the two together and you have a wild fire or fever as this article and survey points out..

Thanks for posting this one, right up my ally of interest.. Feeds the fever if you will. ;)

Yours through the screen

MarkWF1

hunter505

Jan 21, 2011
While I would like to believe that "tablet fever" is catching on, I suspect that the survey was probably skewed. Where did they get their list of people to poll? CNET subscribers are much more likely to be interested in a tablet then subscribers to Ladies Home Journal. Just a quick survey of my friends finds that I am the ONLY one to own a tablet. Co workers is a little higher, but I work for a software company. Even then I would guesstimate that only 10-20% of the folks in my company own tablets. I think the progression to a higher saturation point of tablet ownership is likely to take several years, maybe as many as 5-7. Just my 2cents worth :=)