Add phone capabilities to your tablet (UPDATED 7-2-14 This Method Still Works!)

spk2bruce

Oct 19, 2010
I'm in the same boat. I have an Acer A500 and I went through the steps, and I can receive calls from my new google number, When I open Dialer One, and select a number it opens a text message screen, with no option to make a call. Within the Dialer One screen I can type a number with the pad but no way to dial it. I downloaded the Dialer One apk from here (kz.mek.DialerOne version 1.2.3). When I try to make a call with CSipSimple just get a recording from callcentric stating the number is bad. Is there newer programs I should be using? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

micjay22

Aug 3, 2011
I'm in the same boat. I have an Acer A500 and I went through the steps, and I can receive calls from my new google number, When I open Dialer One, and select a number it opens a text message screen, with no option to make a call. Within the Dialer One screen I can type a number with the pad but no way to dial it. I downloaded the Dialer One apk from here (kz.mek.DialerOne version 1.2.3). When I try to make a call with CSipSimple just get a recording from callcentric stating the number is bad. Is there newer programs I should be using? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Glad to know I'm not alone, maybe we can first text people who we want to call and have them call back, lol.
Anyways, I think the dialer one app is really screwed up, or the version is not compatible with google voice or gv free call app. when you short press the green phone icon, does your screen flash black in fraction of a second and acts like it's going to do something but failed?

spk2bruce

Oct 19, 2010
Glad to know I'm not alone, maybe we can first text people who we want to call and have them call back, lol.
Anyways, I think the dialer one app is really screwed up, or the version is not compatible with google voice or gv free call app. when you short press the green phone icon, does your screen flash black in fraction of a second and acts like it's going to do something but failed?

while in the Dailer One, call log I press the phone icon and the screen flashes, nothing happens.

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
ok i just thought of something that might be happening. I have never tested this on honeycomb so that could be the issue. I will get my hands on a honeycomb tablet and see what i come up with. But until then i still think its google voice free call thats the issue so you guys might want to try gvoice callback free you can find it in the market and it does the samething. let me know if that fixes it

micjay22

Aug 3, 2011
What version of Android have you tried on and worked? I will try this on my wife's SGT7 w/Gingerbread and let you know.

micjay22

Aug 3, 2011
So I tried with Gvoice callback free, input all my info and still a no go. I then installed an app called touchpal dialer, when I tried to dial a contact, it said "no network or sim card is ready" Am I missing something in the setup?

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
ok there must be something that is being forgotten. I have done it on 2.3 and everything under that but not 3.0 yet

sga

Jul 7, 2011
PRobbie, any luck trying this on a 3.0+ version yet? I know someone who wants to try it on a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (version 3.1).

On a different topic, Bobo2000, I just looked up your Elsse tablet. I could find articles that said it had been tested with AT&T sims. Do you have any idea if T-Mobile ones will work also? Are you using a prepaid sim with a data package added? Or is it on a contract?

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
I have not tested it on honeycomb yet but i think i might have figured it out. I am going to try it on a honeycomb tablet tomorrow so as i was reading through my instructions just to make sure i was fresh on everything i noticed in step 7 i say use your callcentric number but i noticed when i use google voice callback free i put in my ipkall number. That might be the issue but tomorrow i will know for sure

OORHOSS420

Aug 12, 2011
Where is the video to add phone capabilities?
I have Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 US Version.
Thank You

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Android Tablet Forum

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
for phone capabilites and by this i mean being able to call landlines and or cell phones on my galaxy tab 10.1 here's a couple of ways

1) Get Skype, sign up for thier Skype Out plan - i have the $2.95 per month unlimited calls and you can dial out. Of course skype to skype calls are always free
2) Sign up for Google Voice and they will assign you a phone number. on your device, install Google Voice and GrooveIP - enter the google voice phone number in GrooveIP - now you can make and receive calls for free

Thank You

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
Thank You

there should be a link to the video in the original post. But i do have to say AnimaTechnica suggestion of just using GrooveIP looks pretty simple and good if you dont mind spending the 5 dollars for the app.

sga

Jul 7, 2011
PRobbie, please tell me more. Your Step 7 DOES say to use the IpKall number. You did say to use callcentric in many of the other steps. In any case, you (and others) have seen this working on various tablets and releases. Are you saying that it just "accidentally" worked on those, and that you believe that if you change something about the call free step, it may work on 3.0+ as well?

I hope you got a Honeycomb tablet to try it on today! Thanks a lot.