Add phone capabilities to your tablet (UPDATED 7-2-14 This Method Still Works!)

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
Hello all, i didn't write this thread for grooveip but with a little tweaking it can be used to help set up grooveIP. Pjohn is right though to get a Google voice number you need a working number for Google voice to call and my steps will help you do that.

I just checked the links and they all seem to be working. try again and if they don't work let me know

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Last edited:

android111

Nov 3, 2011
Could not make it work on my Pandigital Planet tablet. The installation process was successful however I cannot receive or make calls by using Dialer One. Received calls go to my google voicemail. When I try to make a call the Dialer One screen turns black with word "Fake" on top of the screen and nothing happens. I cannot create a contact or do anything else with the Dialer One. Although the received call is displayed in the calls log. I would appreciate any suggestion.

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
when you say the install went well does that mean you installed everything including all of the apps i mentioned and express talk for your computer and followed the steps. If you did all of that you should be able to at least receive calls. Other ways I dont know what else it could be.

Just an fyi amazon app store is having a sale on grooveip its only 1.99 right now which is a great deal. I went ahead and bought it to check it out and it works pretty good.

android111

Nov 3, 2011
Could not make it work on my Pandigital Planet tablet. The installation process was successful however I cannot receive or make calls by using Dialer One. Received calls go to my google voicemail. When I try to make a call the Dialer One screen turns black with word "Fake" on top of the screen and nothing happens. I cannot create a contact or do anything else with the Dialer One. Although the received call is displayed in the calls log. I would appreciate any suggestion.
Yes, everything was installed just as you described, including dialer one, with no problem. It seems that dialer one is not compatible with Pandigital Planet. Thank you for replying and info on grooveip.

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
you might just have to use nettalk to make outbound calls, i talked about it in a post awhile back

juanskarlos

Nov 19, 2011
I'm in the same boat. I have an Acer A500 and I went through the steps, and I can receive calls from my new google number, When I open Dialer One, and select a number it opens a text message screen, with no option to make a call. Within the Dialer One screen I can type a number with the pad but no way to dial it. I downloaded the Dialer One apk from here (kz.mek.DialerOne version 1.2.3). When I try to make a call with CSipSimple just get a recording from callcentric stating the number is bad. Is there newer programs I should be using? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

hey bruce, i also have a iconia a500, my ipkall # it works, i could use the express call, but for some reason, cant recieve calls, i check that we cant use dialer one, so im using nettalk, works great, but how do u manage to get calls to ur tablet? thans in advance

juanskarlos

Nov 19, 2011
Ok so i have been trying to figure out the issue and i think the issue is sense honeycomb doesn't have a built in dailer it doesn't recognize calls out so what we need to find is a dialer that works. I will keep looking but i need all of you to as well, thanks

UPDATE: I have found a short term solution for those with honeycomb tablets that want to make out going calls. its called nettalk (you can find it in the market or HERE), the reason its only a short term solution is because the number that shows up on the other end is some random foreign number not your google voice number. So i still need all of your guy's help to get this working smoothly on honeycomb and dont worry i wont stop working on it either.

nettalk is easy to setup just signup for a free account and then start calling, thats it

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

is works for me unfortunately cant receive calls could you help me there, i have follow all the steps, have a iconia a500, my ipkall # works, i could use the express talk, but for some reason, cant receive calls, i check that we cant use dialer one, so im using nettalk, works great, but how do u manage to get calls to ur tablet? thanks in advance, also not sure if google voice call back or call free works, some time it says cant sign in, but express talk works fine, there is something not working in my tablet, has the android 3.2

juanskarlos

Nov 19, 2011
UPDATE: LINPHONE, works great in my iconia, using the sip from the first steps, hope this works for someone, so in resume, I make calls with nettalk, and receive calls with linphone using the sip from callcentric, callcentric link it to ipkall and ipkall link it to my google voice, so to receive calls use my google voice number, and to make calls just the nettalk, all this under wifi with a Iconia a500, thanks to all you guy for the comments.

xhxz7672

Nov 20, 2011
I have added some updates and edited some parts, Major update coming soon! I am surprised this hasn't got more attention. Judging off the threads in the forum a lot of people would like to have free calls and texts.​

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
UPDATE: LINPHONE, works great in my iconia, using the sip from the first steps, hope this works for someone, so in resume, I make calls with nettalk, and receive calls with linphone using the sip from callcentric, callcentric link it to ipkall and ipkall link it to my google voice, so to receive calls use my google voice number, and to make calls just the nettalk, all this under wifi with a Iconia a500, thanks to all you guy for the comments.

I am glad you got it working. I dont know if you guys have seen Republicwireless but they have taken this idea and cooked it right into and Android phone.

smcgrother

Aug 28, 2011
Hey, thanks again for this excellent post.
I got a message from google today that my forwarding number (which is my ipkall number) has been claimed by someone else - I guess I let it go inactive for 30 days. So I registered for a new iPKall number, but when I try to register this new number with Google voice it won't let me:

"Porting your mobile number to Google Voice is unavailable

Your mobile number can not be ported at this time.- We currently don't support porting from your carrier. We apologize and are working on adding support for more carriers."

I tried a few new iPKall numbers and kept getting the same message.
Any suggestions for what I should do?
Thanks
Simon

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
Very interesting about google saying it can't port it because it shouldn't be trying to port it.

Yes it should work in the UK

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

smcgrother

Aug 28, 2011
Hey, thanks again for this excellent post.
I got a message from google today that my forwarding number (which is my ipkall number) has been claimed by someone else - I guess I let it go inactive for 30 days. So I registered for a new iPKall number, but when I try to register this new number with Google voice it won't let me:

"Porting your mobile number to Google Voice is unavailable

Your mobile number can not be ported at this time.- We currently don't support porting from your carrier. We apologize and are working on adding support for more carriers."

I tried a few new iPKall numbers and kept getting the same message.
Any suggestions for what I should do?
Thanks
Simon

I finally got this to work, it turns out that my express talk was on the fritz, so I reinstalled that and then everything went hunky dory.
Just to reiterate - THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS POST! It is marvelous.
Thanks
Simon

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
I finally got this to work, it turns out that my express talk was on the fritz, so I reinstalled that and then everything went hunky dory.
Just to reiterate - THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS POST! It is marvelous.
Thanks
Simon

I am glad you got it working. and thanks for appreciated my work.

I just saw today there is a free version of GrooveIP being offered in the Market