Advice needed from the many knowledgeable people here

northernjay

Aug 3, 2010
Hey guys and girls, great site wish I'd been smart enough to check here before purchasing my 1st Google Android Tablet.

Bought one a few days ago, the Eken M002 model Eken M002 Google Android 7.0 inch Wi-Fi ipad Style MID Tablet PC. Arrived this morning and I went from sheer elation to total regret within 5 minutes. It certainly wasn't what I was expecting. Dreadfully slow and possibly worse than my so called Samsung "smart" phone.

Had I found this site before I wouldn't have gone near it but I got carried away on eBay and it seemed like a good idea. Thankfully I am able to return it which I plan to do however would really like a half decent functioning one that operates faster than a crawling snail so I would greatly appreciated the advice of those on here in the know.

I am looking to spend roughly £100 or around 160 US dollars though go can slightly higher if there are some strong recommendations.

I've noticed some are 128mb RAM and others are 256mb RAM so I'll let you kind people advise on the difference. SIze wise it doesn't need to be any bigger than 7in.

It doesn't need to be anything too fancy, I'm not overly concerned about HD playback, just something quick that can use the various functions and surf the internet faster than dial up.

Many thanks in advance and I'm sure once I get a new one I will use this site a lot for reference as there is a wealth of information here.

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
there are a lot of great tablets out there but most of them seem to be slow which i dont like either. but the quickest one i have used so far is the moonse 7001 i know there are faster ones out there but thats the fastest i have owned close to your price range, and just a side note i wouldnt purchase tablets from ebay they are usually marked up. i recommend www.euogo.com or you can check out this thread http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/android-tablet-discussions/242-great-places-buy-tablets.html

northernjay

Aug 3, 2010
Many thanks probbiethe1, I will look into the tablet you mention. As for www.euogo.com I came across a few posts earlier about the site and will certainly give it serious consideration, as in regards some of the other sites I have seen it has a more proffessional layout and I was boosted by the positive comments on here regarding customer service.

If anyone else has an other recommendations I'm all ears, as stated I will be willing to go higher if people can strongly recommend a good tablet. I would probably go max £125 / 200 US dollars

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
Witstech A81E for now, if you can shell out the cash for it.

Edit:
Sorry. Firmware is not good enough on that right now. But it has some promise if some modders get on it.

northernjay

Aug 3, 2010
Found that for £125 / 199 US dollars, does that sound about right?

Also I realise this is a Android tablet website but I'm now thinking if I forked out a little more I could get a netbook. I generally want something not to expensive that I can surf the net with from my sofa and can maybe watch the odd movie with if travelling.

That being said I am interested in the apps!

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
Tablets are fun to play with. You could buy a netbook, but it wouldn't be as fun.

You wouldn't normally buy a netbook to read on.

Tablets let you do that, and more. Android does.

northernjay

Aug 3, 2010
Yeah see that is one of the big selling points. Reading is key but so will internet surfing. I normally reseach everything for months before buying and bought the Eken in blind faith but can see now I'll probably not end up with a tablet for months what with not being able to make up my mind.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
The Eken isn't that bad after flashing firmware. At least it's good enough as a ebook reader, or so I think.

TechNinja

Jul 31, 2010
you don't recommend your apad/irobot xauieous?

yeah the Witsech one has great specs, but the whole firmware thing is crud. It even has the A8 core which means itll support 2.2 (flash capable)

i was thinking about snagging that... but otherwise ill just wait for the Velocity Cruz Tablet, but that one doesnt have HDMI :( which i really want for a 7-inch.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
I don't recommend my Apad for everyone. It depends on what price you are able to get it at. Right now the best price is still $150 shipped (Wholesale 7'' inch umpc Product-Latest 7" APAD Rockchip MID Android iRobot 2GB Wifi WebCam Tablet PC Metal aluminum alloy free shipping by), which is a little high.

If you have coupons $130 isn't bad. I think the ideal price range for this is around $130 right now.

I did some more research for the WITS A81E, and the Android build actually doesn't look all that mature and is not necessary worth the extra $80 on top of the Apad. Still if you don't want to make such a big investment, the Apad is perfect. But the potential for the A81E to be a much better tablet is there.

vijaykhai

Jun 19, 2010
Hi Northernjay,
I am NO expert but just repeating what I read here for last 4 weeks and after researching/contacting various sellers I decided to HOLD off for couple of weeks, mainly because:

1. As you can NOT upgrade Android 1.x to 2.x, which is 3-5 times faster, might as well wait till 2.2 with FLASH is out - supposedly next week.

2. Both Probbie, Joshua and couple of others I read here and other sites seem happy with Moonse 7001 for $150/ BUT And. 1.5.
3. I have had good service from Philip of www.merrimobles.com, who always responds quickly - Joshua too recommends them.
4. Just like you I am in the market for a reasonably priced tablet to Email, Browse, Ebooks, Music, watch Video Soccer and cricket and 3G or SIM so that I can use it ANYWHERE with a USB modem.
5. I suggest you check out also the following: Android 2.1 $190/ + shipping
www.[URL="http://www.wiipad.us/product.php?id_product=17"]Wiipad:.com/ Google android UMPC iPAD - Wiipad slim plus android 2.1 tablet[/URL] and
www.androidtime.com/ android OS 2.1 Telechips processor 7inch aPad tablet MID

Both sites well spoken of by users here. Trust this helps and good luck.
Vijay

Last edited:

TechNinja

Jul 31, 2010
I don't see androidtime spoken "well" of anywhere on this site. People are still very weary of them, since no one has bought from them as of yet.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
1. Not that much. It's more about app compatibility than performance.
2. Add me to that list
5. Zenithink's implementation of Android is unusable at the moment. The Androidtime one is Telechips, which should be stable but has still has a pretty bad firmware. At that point I'd consider the WITS

airdog

Aug 6, 2010
I know as far as ram goes 256mb should be an all time standard at this time. 512mb will be a standard in a few months. Look at this way most smart phones that are hitting the market right now are 512 while the recent just hit 256. Now, the android / iphone os do not multitask like most operating systems so small memory banks can be used. With 2.2 showing up and it seems new versions are popping up quite quickly the additional memory cache will be need for future versions to come. The OS seems to be striving in popularity. Much like any Red Hat, Ubuntu, Linux, pick your flavor. As many are seeing bugs with the OS remember it is a free OS. As a development company you are going to only spend soo much in a free OS. Luckly on the trade off, they open the OS for changes for geeks like us. Unlike, apple that spends millions to keep people from customizing. Unix be free.

linksprocket

Oct 7, 2010
Guessing I wish I have found this thread first. Ordered a zt180 from androidtime.com and 3-4 days later still not getting a confimation. Any one had bad experiences with androidtime.com?

Last email read
I'm sorry very very much.Because there is no ready tablet in stock.We have to send the zt180 tablet to you tomorrow.If it is not.I think this saturday is sure.
Wish you can received your tablet at next week early.I will pay a 10 USD to you as a compensation.thank you very much.