Alternative to app2sd >>>> link2sd

Nov 21, 2010
I know that, I meant to say unmount the internal card and remount it after I run the script.

I did the partision without an issue. Used less than a gig for an ext2 format. I followed every step and haven't have any luck yet.

Should I use a diff. terminal app?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be useful. Thanks

pvella

Dec 20, 2010
I don't have an internal card, but I understand that the mounts in S7 are dynamic. Someone correct me if this is wrong, but I think the internal mounts as /sdcard without an external card. If you plug in an external card, it mounts as /sdcard, and the internal card mounts as /sdcard2. This is the way Huawei built the ROM and it is pretty stupid. It causes problems with so many applications. I think I would insert an external card, and just always use that, and ignore the internal card.

Try one of these two options.

1) Use the internal card, partition the second partition as ext2 as a primary partition and not logical. Do not have an external card plugged in.

2) Use the external card, parition the second partition as ext2 as a primary partition and not logical. Always leave the external card inserted.

Option 1 is not great, I think, since all your apps will disappear if you insert an external card.

Can someone with a US S7 that has an internal card confirm this?

nastiero

Dec 5, 2010
still running out of space with link2sd. I have about 9% left on internal memory and about 74% on the ext2 partition. Cannot install many more apps.
Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App

goodoane

Nov 25, 2010
Latest news about this project.
It's avaliable on Android Market. Search the market for "Link2SD".

UPDATE:
- added ext3, ext4 and FAT32 support for the second partition of SD card
- added refresh menu
- added "Not Linked" filter option
- changed App2sd checking
- added support in linking protected (/data/app-private) apps
- added support in detecting and mounting the second partition for some roms
- some bugfixes
- disabled automatic Market status fix after linking
- added option to link dalvik-cache (.dex) files along with apk files
- added automatic re-linking after app upgrade
- added automatic deleting from SD card after app uninstall
- added "Reinstall" button
- added "Link dalvik-cache files" menu which links dex files of all existing linked applications all at once
- added automatic Market status fix after linking
- better froyo support
- added dex file size and link status information
- added support in detecting and mounting ext2 partition for some roms
- some minor bugfixes
- added uninstall feature which deletes apk file also from ext2 for linked apps
- added launch and manage buttons
- added detailed size information of applications
- some minor bugfixes
- added info message to show which applications have been repaired after "Market Fix"
- added "Market Fix" feature to repair missing Market applications
- removed "ext2 found" info message at startup
- some minor bugfixes
- added support for some roms which install-recovery.sh is not operational
- added ext2.ko module installation on boot (if exists) for Motorola phones
- changed mount method at startup to be much safer
- some minor bugfixes
- initial release

clowe

Dec 16, 2010
I don't have an internal card, but I understand that the mounts in S7 are dynamic. Someone correct me if this is wrong, but I think the internal mounts as /sdcard without an external card. If you plug in an external card, it mounts as /sdcard, and the internal card mounts as /sdcard2. This is the way Huawei built the ROM and it is pretty stupid. It causes problems with so many applications. I think I would insert an external card, and just always use that, and ignore the internal card.

Try one of these two options.

1) Use the internal card, partition the second partition as ext2 as a primary partition and not logical. Do not have an external card plugged in.

2) Use the external card, parition the second partition as ext2 as a primary partition and not logical. Always leave the external card inserted.

Option 1 is not great, I think, since all your apps will disappear if you insert an external card.

Can someone with a US S7 that has an internal card confirm this?

I confirm that all the apps disappear after creating the second partition ext2 using option 1 described as above. ill try another method later. sigh!!!

goodoane

Nov 25, 2010
A work around for people with internal memory is to use this application only with a second partition on internal memory (ext2; fat32) and to edit that script in etc folder(install-recovery. sh) like this :
#!/system/bin/sh
#added by link2sd
sleep 2
mount -t vfat /dev/block//vold/179:18 /data/sdext2
mount -t vfat /dev/block//vold/179:2 /data/sdext2

This example is for fat32 if you use ext2 partition change "vfat" with "ext2".
With this double mount you may use or not an external card with no problem.

Sent from my S7 using Tapatalk

Nov 21, 2010
I can confirm that the newest version of link2sd on the market has corrected any issues I have had. They said that Fat32 would work but I decided to still format the partition to Ext2. After each step you need to restart the tablet but once you do so, it will work.

Also, as a side question: Does anyone know how to do a restart instead of a shutdown for the s7? Thanks

Fendogz

Feb 3, 2011
Thanx for this write up. I rooted with z4root, used minitool to resize and link2sd is working. Easy peezy lemon squeezy.

Music

Feb 5, 2011
I got it working too! Whaddya think of that? There's no voodoo involved, but it's not -that- easy.

If I can do it, so can others. haha. Really, now I have 50 MB more to play use, or rather to not use up.

Music

Feb 5, 2011
Here's one for you guys:

After you send things to the back of the SD memory, how would you catalog all the apps you have on your device? I mean just the names of all the apps, not version numbers and stuff.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
This turned out to be much easier than I understood. I used Mini Tool Partition wizard home edition, created the partition and made it ext2 (I did not format the sd and did not lose any data in the process, but I did BACK UP) restart the s7, run link2sd, restart again and all is working perfectly. No need for terminal or ADB. I don't need no stinkin Froyo! (Of course, it would still be nice if they would release it anyway)

FYI I realized that after you link an app you must reboot before it shows up. Although I'm sure this was mentioned many a time I tend to do things first then read carefully only after something doesn't work.....

re-edit I seem to be wrong, the apps are showing up in the app drawer, they just aren't on the desktop (applies to apps already loaded before installing link2sd) , apparently no need to reboot. hehe

This is all just too cool

Tom

Last edited:

Music

Feb 5, 2011
I'm glad I took the time to figure out to use link2sd. But......

Is there a way you can check how much if the ext2 partition is in use or free? Not that I'm planning on filling up all 750 MB of it.

thx

goodoane

Nov 25, 2010
Just press the menu key and you can find what you are looking for.

Sent from my Ideos S7 using Tapatalk

tri_zet

Developer
Mar 1, 2011
I'm glad I took the time to figure out to use link2sd. But......

Is there a way you can check how much if the ext2 partition is in use or free? Not that I'm planning on filling up all 750 MB of it.

thx

i use FAT32 partition, and use usb driver that i used since long time ago to partitioning any USB flash disk/card. (hint: google for "Hitachi micro driver filter")

using this driver, will make windows recognize sd card as a HDD, so i can browse to both partitions.

BUT this driver is not stable to use with ideos s7, it is slow to detect internal sd card when connecting. so i use it just to check the content/freespace and rollback the driver after that.