Andorid Car Media System

dobbor1

May 19, 2013
Hi, does anyone know which ROM I can flash on my car media system as an alternative for what is already on it please?
I have no idea based on the system info as per attached photo. I used to flash roms on my Galaxy S2 so comfortable doing it.

Thanks

Dobbo $IMAG0046.jpg

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
What radio is that and do you like it? I am in the market for a new car radio and was thinking about getting a android one.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Since you called it a media center I would think you would be hard pressed to find any ROM that would maintain the functions, A BMW forum might be your on;y chance.

That also looks awfully new too. 2013 date code,

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Welcome dobbor1. That looks very cool. ROMs are hardware dependent so the first thing you need to consider is the chip (Telechip obviously). Secondarily you also need to consider the other hardware though like the steering wheel controls, the AM/FM radio, DVB-T tv, etc. Andrive Android BMW OEM. Like leehsor said a custom ROM would need to take all of that into consideration so it would be highly specialized. I am sure there is somebody out there working on it but it isn't likely to be something widely available and easy to get.

It is running ICS though which is good news. For something like this I wouldn't have been surprised to see Froyo or Gingerbread.

dobbor1

May 19, 2013
O OK it is the one that comes in the BMW's. Does anyone have any experience with after market Android car radios?

Glad you thought it was an OEM system as it was one of the main reasons I bought it for my BMW over the well known double din units which can look lost in the dash. It is an aftermarket system made by a young company called Andrive. It is Chinese derived but Andrive has used more advanced software than it's competitors like Dynavin, Hualingan and Eonon. It's not exceptional at everything but is very good at everything. Being an android phone user, I was mainly drawn to the Android side of the system. It also has a WINCE system which runs the DVD/CD, Bluetooth, Digital TV, Reversing Camera, Aux, Ipod etc etc. It runs on ICS 4.0.4 which has been pre-rooted. I used to have a Galaxy S2 phone which I used to flash all the time. I am a bit nervous with this system hence my original post with regards to flashing roms. I think they are starting to look into making systems for Audi and VW in the future.