Android App From Amazon

verna2197

Nov 13, 2011
No I did not succeed in doing this. Actually I think something was wrong with my Nook as they are replacing it. Don't know if I am brave enough to try it again or not.

verna2197

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
No I did not succeed in doing this. Actually I think something was wrong with my Nook as they are replacing it. Don't know if I am brave enough to try it again or not.

verna2197

Verna, why do you try this http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/nook-color-technical/13156-how-cm7-bootable-sd.html. It has the benefits of trying out CM7 without having to worry about messing with the stock Nook. If it goes ok and once you get comfortable with it you can then try installing it internally again. The directions might be a little off in the link since the new Gapps is to big to unzip on the boot partition when the program tries to setup.

You can try using the previous version of Gapps (which is somewhere in this thread as one of the help posts) or follow the original instructions summarized at the end of the thread as well http://www.androidtablets.net/forum.../13156-how-cm7-bootable-sd-28.html#post148389.

You also have the option of buying a pre-made card from someplace like this http://www.rootmynookcolor.com.

JP

cbill

Nov 11, 2011
JP: I have been watching this thread closely, as I just purchased an NC, recertfied in the EBAY sale, for my special person, and I am trying to get up to speed before it is delivered.

She is an avid reader, but she also loves to roam the web and will, undoubtedly, want more flexibility than the B&N site alone will offer. For that reason I plan to set her tablet up to boot CM7 off a disk.

Having observed the potential problems with setting up the MicroSD card by pushing necessary files from PC to the SD mounted in the tablet; I have to ask if it would be possible to build the CM7 SD card by simply transfering the required files to the SD card through a card reader?

I also would like to mention I came across a reference within the last several days. to a post in the XDA forum stating a developer found a method to access and turn off the "Authorized source only" switch. As I recall, he said it was accessed through the "tools" setting. Like a dummy I did not bookmark the reference. Hopefully you, or someone else might have a reference to that thread or post.

I enjoyed following this thread. Verna hope you get your problems worked out. Once you get your system restored and running well, I think purchasing an already programmed card will be the safest route for you. That way if you do not like it you can just take the card out and be back to normal. That is the reason I am getting the NC for my Special Person. (We have been going steady for almost 30 years, and I have learned she does not want her tech things messed with, she just wants them to do what she wants them to do. The problem is, sometimes that takes some tinkering.)

JP, (or any one else for that matter) If you can get back to me on my queries I would appreciate.

Thanks Cbill

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Hi Cbill, glad you have made the decision to get a Nook Color. I think it will serve your special person well. Check out the http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/nook-color-technical/13156-how-cm7-bootable-sd.html thread for creating a bootable SD card. It isn't too difficult if you follow the instructions exactly.

That being said the instructions in the first post aren't quite working right now. If you read through the thread though, particularly in the latest posts you will find the methods that currently work (repartition the boot drive to a larger size or install CM7 first bootup, remove card then add Gapps).

You can certainly use a card reader to work with the SD card and I recommend this method over connecting the Nook via usb.

The last question is one for allowing non-Market apps to be loaded. This is covered in the Extra Setup at the bottom of the first post in the How To thread. Feel free to post over there if you have any more questions.

JP

verna2197

Nov 13, 2011
I also would like to mention I came across a reference within the last several days. to a post in the XDA forum stating a developer found a method to access and turn off the "Authorized source only" switch. As I recall, he said it was accessed through the "tools" setting. Like a dummy I did not bookmark the reference. Hopefully you, or someone else might have a reference to that thread or post.

l

Thanks everyone like I said I had to send my Nook back and am still waiting for the new one to replace it. I too would be interested in the above. To turn off the "Authorized source only" in my Nook. I still would like to do more with my Nook but now I am real leery about it. I don't know if I what I was trying to do messed it up or if it was already messed up to begin with. It was a recertified one I purchased from B&N. I know when I talked to them they told me on the recertified ones all they really do when they get them back is change the battery and clean it up. This experience has really turned me off on purchasing anything receritfied. Never again. So I am thinking about just purchasing the card to let me do more. Unless someone lives close to me that can help me change mine. LOL

verna2197

Nov 13, 2011
I'm back got my new Nook now I'm ready but think I am going to purchase the card instead of trying to change mine. Just to hard for me to do. So where do I get this Sd card that is ready at?

verna2197

Nov 13, 2011
Thank you Jp and also I want to thank you for everything you tried to help me with. I really really appreciate it very much. Do you know which one is better?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I think I would go with the CM7 card from the first link for $30 but check the support and tutorials sections in the second link for getting started.

verna2197

Nov 13, 2011
JP I noticed there is an 8gb and a 16gb why would someone go with the bigger card? Not sure which one to get.

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
JP I noticed there is an 8gb and a 16gb why would someone go with the bigger card? Not sure which one to get.
It depends on what you are going to store on it.... if you like to download movies its better you get the 16. I got the 8, I store some pics, that's it, the rest is stored in my brain!

gloria

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
It depends on what you are going to store on it.... if you like to download movies its better you get the 16. I got the 8, I store some pics, that's it, the rest is stored in my brain!

gloria

Yes exactly. Unless you plan on loading lots of music and videos then 8 is enough. If you do wan to load a bunch of media though then get the 16.

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
Verna, did you get your card yet? We want to know if you are finally having fun with your nook!
Gloria

Sent from my NookColor using Android Tablet Forum

verna2197

Nov 13, 2011
Gloria haven't received it yet. Should be getting it any day now. Can't wait really looking forward to it. Will let everyone know when I do get it and how much I am enjoying it.

Verna