Android Email and Gmail and Contacts import question

Hoibie

Sep 20, 2011
I bought my wife an Acer Iconia Tablet. It comes with a standard stock Android E-Mall application which we are using and I set up her account to draw mail from her fairpoint.net ISP. It works. I established a Google account just to get the tablet registered. Now I'm trying to bring over her contacts from her old Windows XP laptop using Outlook Express. I've done the .csv export and import into her new Google account. I can see the imported contacts in her GMail off a desktop computer with full IE browser. I understand the tablet is "married" to Google but she prefers to keep her fairpoint.net account and not switch over.

There is a standard stock Android Contacts app provided with the Iconia. I thought there would be an auto-synch for Contacts. They're not showing up although I can see a submenu for {[email protected]} with a descriptor of "Imported 10/10/2011". And they're also not showing up in the standard stock Android Email app either which also doesn't seem to have any information inside it for looking through Contacts. And even more bizzare, if you pull up her Gmail on the tablet, the Contacts apparently are in a different spot (which I cannot find) so I'm guessing that they're supposed to come from the tablets Contacts app. Right?

What exactly should I be expecting to happen between the two apps (Android Contacts and Android Email) and synching with her Google account? Am I looking for something that isn't supposed to happen? Will we need to manually add the Contacts into the standard stock Android Email App?

Thanks, folks. Love looking around in here at all the interesting qustions...

H

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Go to settings, accounts and sync,
Tap the Acer account and turn thzt account off. Its useless.
Then tap the Google gmail account and have it sync contacts, gmail, and anything else you want. More is better.

Then the contacts will sync with the gmail contacts on the web.
Its far easier to manage your contacts on the web, amd let them sync to the tablet.

In android, you just have contacts, you dont have contacts inthe mail app, and different contacts in the contacts app. Its all integrated. Update a contact on the acer, it is instantly updated in your gmail account. Also in your android phone. Even your iphone. There aer ways to get outlook to sync contacts with Google a well. Thunderbird too.

By the way, did you know gmail will pop any other email account for you and put it in a folder in your gmail account?

Last edited:

Hoibie

Sep 20, 2011
Very good! I worked just as you said and now I know a little more about this gadget too. There's not much out here you can read up on what to expect. Coming from Windows environment makes presuming anything awfully risky.

But thanks for the help. I appreciate it.

H

tango

Dec 7, 2011
I have an Acer Iconia A500 tab. I wondered if I could transfer my Outlook calendar and contacts to it. I need to be able to access my calendar and contacts all the time, whether I'm online or not. I don't use Outlook for email, just calendar, contacts, and notes. I've tried syncing it with my laptop, but that part doesn't sync. Thank you!

jseah

Nov 21, 2011
How I sync my work Outlook calendar to Android is by using Google Calendar Sync. The applet is installed on my work computer and runs in the background. You have the option of either doing a 2 way sync or 1 way sync (either Google to Outlook or Outlook to Google). It is set to sync every 15 minutes and then I can access my Outlook calendar via Google's calendar.

There is also another app called Contacts Sync that will sync your Outlook contacts to your Gmail contacts. Google doesn't have a free contacts sync application that will sync with Outlook, but they do have Google Apps Sync for Microsoft Outlook (this app is provided to Google's paying business customers).

Last edited:

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
I have an Acer Iconia A500 tab. I wondered if I could transfer my Outlook calendar and contacts to it. I need to be able to access my calendar and contacts all the time, whether I'm online or not. I don't use Outlook for email, just calendar, contacts, and notes. I've tried syncing it with my laptop, but that part doesn't sync. Thank you!

I agree with Jseah, Sync your Contacts and Calendar from Outlook to Google via add-ons to Outlook. That way they will be automatically on your Android devices.

But if you don't use Outlook for mail, why not just abandon it and move to Google Calendar and Contacts altogether?
I mean outlook is a huge pig of an app, why continue to use it at all?

Google Calendar even accepts invites to appointments sent from Outlook. And if something is on your Google Calendar on the web, its also on your phone and your tablet, and any computer you can log onto google with. Its really pretty cool.

PMarron

Jun 14, 2012
I purchased a basic Polaroid tablet and appps are all through Amazon apps, no Google apps. Have email capability but want to import Microsoft Outlook address book. Have already exported addresses, saved on a micro SDHC, inserted micro SDHC disc into Polaroid tablet. What are directions to export address book to Polaroid email? Thanks, PMarron