Android Firmware Update Problems ...

vja4Him

Jan 14, 2011
Last night I went ahead and took the plunge ... Updated the Firmware on my Archos 70 Internet Tablet 250GB (2.1.3 - Android 2.2.1).

My tablet still worked after the update. Slower than before though.

This morning I found out that I can't get online!

None of my four radio apps work (they all worked fine before).

Bible.is no longer works.

All three of my browsers no longer work.

Firmware Update doesn't work (can't connect to the Internet).

Wi-Fi shows that my Archos is connected to my Internet service. My son and I are both online with our computers, so there is nothing wrong with our Internet connection.

Looks like I have no choice now, but to reformat the Archos and start all over again (for the 4th time!!!!) .... That will be very time consuming, as I will have to download all of my many apps all over again, and then reload all of my files all over again ....

TapNClick

Oct 17, 2010
I did the update last night. It seemed to reboot about four times before the home screen finally showed and then it took another minute or so before any icons appears. But now it works fine. In fact, I'm actually seeing it display more signal strength then it did before from the bedroom in my home that is the furthest away from by wireless router. I did find that there was one file manager that no longer works. I'll just have to find another one that does.

vja4Him

Jan 14, 2011
I had to reinitialize my Archos, and start from scratch again. Tablet is working, but keep losing WiFi. Nothing wrong with our Internet (three other computers online with no problems). Have to keep rebooting, so I can get a connection again.

I'd like to know how I can go back to the previous Firmware ....

vja4Him

Jan 14, 2011
I'm afraid the problem is the firmware, do you get the official firemware?

I figured the problem is with the Firmware Update. Yes, the Firmware I installed is the official Firmware. I tried both methods: update from the Archos tablet, and then again downloaded the Firmware Update from Archos to my MacPro, then transferred to the tablet and did the update again.

WiFi is still very unstable. Connection only lasts for a few minutes, then I have to Reboot. Also, the tablet shuts down all on its own, even when I'm not touching it at all! Strange ....

Hopefully the next Firmware Update will resolve these issues ....

hougie

Jan 31, 2011
Same problem overhere..... I have full Wifi connection but still no connection....All my others devices (laptop,phone) works fine just Archos won't connect.I also have the latest official firmware downloaded..... pfff

vja4Him

Jan 14, 2011
I tried this:

Settings,
Wireless and networks,
WiFi Settings,
WiFi On
Hold down on your active network till a window pops up.
Select Modify network.
You may have to scroll the next window up, but look for Disable Powersave.
Put a check in that box if there isn't already on there.
Tap on Save.

and now my WiFi is working again with a rock solid connection?

Called Archos Tech Support and they help me with the settings, so now the power button will turn off the screen:

> Settings > Applications > Development > Take a Screenshot (turn off)

Now, my tablet is running more smoothly. Looking forward to the next Firmware Update, hopefully with fewer bugs ...

bigblue206

Dec 2, 2010
I updated my Archo 70 250gb the other day and while it did reboot the Archos screen a few times (which started to make me nervous after seeing a few posts on here) but then it finished loading and it is running great. The wifi is much faster and connection is much better. I beleive the update allows the Archos to now use wireless N which is wasn't allowing before.

Snyperx

Nov 22, 2010
Something to try is a full format of the device. Keep in mind this will DELTE ALL DATA on your tablet. This will wipeout everything and essentially "brick" your device temporarily. Do the following steps to load a clean copy of the firmware.

1. Download latest firmware image from Archos.
2. Plug tablet into your computer
3. Transfer image file to tablet
4. Reboot tablet into recovery mode
5. Select load firmware
6. New firmware should load
7. Enjoy fresh and clean tablet

Keep in mind I created this from memory, so the wording may not be exact on every step. After I did a fresh load my issues with downloading were res loved. I am guessing this is related to the wifi acting up after the original attempt at upgrading. Tablet has been running fine since the fresh install. Hope this helps.

hougie

Jan 31, 2011
I tried this:

Settings,
Wireless and networks,
WiFi Settings,
WiFi On
Hold down on your active network till a window pops up.
Select Modify network.
You may have to scroll the next window up, but look for Disable Powersave.
Put a check in that box if there isn't already on there.
Tap on Save.

and now my WiFi is working again with a rock solid connection?

Called Archos Tech Support and they help me with the settings, so now the power button will turn off the screen:

> Settings > Applications > Development > Take a Screenshot (turn off)

Now, my tablet is running more smoothly. Looking forward to the next Firmware Update, hopefully with fewer bugs ...

Tried but with no result....
I hope I did it correctly because english is not my motherlanguage but it still won't work..... Full charge of the wifi but no conection while my other devices work fine

hougie

Jan 31, 2011
Something to try is a full format of the device. Keep in mind this will DELTE ALL DATA on your tablet. This will wipeout everything and essentially "brick" your device temporarily. Do the following steps to load a clean copy of the firmware.

1. Download latest firmware image from Archos.
2. Plug tablet into your computer
3. Transfer image file to tablet
4. Reboot tablet into recovery mode
5. Select load firmware
6. New firmware should load
7. Enjoy fresh and clean tablet

Keep in mind I created this from memory, so the wording may not be exact on every step. After I did a fresh load my issues with downloading were res loved. I am guessing this is related to the wifi acting up after the original attempt at upgrading. Tablet has been running fine since the fresh install. Hope this helps.

I tried to do it like you said but then I get in recovery "please connect DC-in tot update your device"....
What does that mean?

Last edited:

hougie

Jan 31, 2011
Ok,I just had to put the charger on so never mind the post above.....
Anyway,I went through all the steps you talked about,have a "clean" tablet now but still no internet connection... Full WIFI connection but I'm not able to connect on the internet. I've mailed archos but I guess I won't get an answer that rapidly.
Just have sit by and wait for another update I guess and that's frustrating because I can't use the tablet

vja4Him

Jan 14, 2011
Tried but with no result....
I hope I did it correctly because english is not my motherlanguage but it still won't work..... Full charge of the wifi but no conection while my other devices work fine

You might want to try calling Archos Tech Support ....

hougie

Jan 31, 2011
Ok I solved my prob but created another one!
I've put an older firmware on it (2.0.7) and wifi and internet works fine but now I'm not able anymore to download apps from market...