Android noob and Nook noob w/ some questions

callisto9

Feb 21, 2011
Just got my Nook Color this evening and rooted it via the Nookdevs site. Amazingly easy. However, I was expecting my NC to look like an Android phone and was surprised to find it looking exactly the same. LOL I now know the difference between rooting and flashing a ROM!

So, I've run across a few oddities and wondered if anyone could help me out. And before I go any further, I've been poking around this forum all day and WOW, what a nice group you have here! Very friendly and smart. :)

So, here are my issues:

1) I don't like that red "box" above the keyboard when I press on letter. So I went to go look at the keyboard settings (settings > keyboard) and when I tap on keyboard, it jumps me back to the home screen. Any idea what that's about?

2) Is it at all possible that rooting the NC makes the screen a little more buggy? Meaning, I seem to have a few mis-taps or swiping will seem to hesitate before swiping, etc.

3) When in the YouTube app, I was viewing a favorite vid, tapped on the back icon, and now I can't select another vid. I had to get all the way out me fave vids screen and back in before I could select another video. Tapping on a fave video after pressing the back icon didn't seem to work.

Apologies in advance...this is my first Android tablet! ;)

revenge8

Feb 10, 2011
use a different launcher.. ADW or Zeam to get that "android phone" look

1) did you try changing the keyboard in Nook Tools? try the gingerbread keyboard ... go to nook tools> choose keyboard> gingerbread keyboard
if you dont like that try swiftkey from the market (paid app) ..using Root Explorer you put it in system/app and install... then restart and use the above guide to change keyboard.

2) there is a known bug that when you restart your NC the screen is less responsive, put NC to sleep then wake it up and unlock, should be fine after that.. if not.. try this app from a thread on this site.. http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...7-improving-nc-screen-corner-sensitivity.html some people say it works..

3) you may need to use the soft keys app thats on your NC to go backwards in youtube/access the menu options.. im not really sure.. the embedded back key in the bottom status bar may just back you out of the app entirely.

hope that helped a little..

callisto9

Feb 21, 2011
Thank you so much for your quick response. I tried out the Gingerbread keyboard, but then when I was in a field that would accept text input, no keyboard would come up. I rebooted the Nook (well, powered down and then powered up), and still a no go. So I went back to the original keyboard.

2) Thanks. I'll give that a read.

3) I *was* using the soft key (the little white arrow at the bottom of the screen, right?). It did go back, but when it did, it's like the touch froze up.

And just encountered a new "issue":

4) Tried to set a live wallpaper, and when I select one, it just sticks on the "Loading live wallpaper..." screen. Even if I tap on "set wallpaper", it doesn't load.

Thanks again!

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Softkeys is different than the soft key

Softkeys is the that little arrow on the right hand side of your screen

I found that some live wallpapers don't want to work correctly, others work flawlessly.

To use the Gingerbread keyboard, you have to use something like root explorer and get into /system/apps and then select gingerbread.apk and install it again. then it will work for you.

Welcome to the insanity. :)

callisto9

Feb 21, 2011
I can already tell this is going to be fun and drive me nuts at the same time! I think I'll just leave the keyboard alone. LOL I have a lot of reading to do, I guess.

Ugh, I just saw three dead pixels. I'm doomed.... :(

Last edited:

callisto9

Feb 21, 2011
And now YouTube won't load. Keeps closing before the screen even shows. :( I don't think this was meant to be...

revenge8

Feb 10, 2011
And now YouTube won't load. Keeps closing before the screen even shows. :( I don't think this was meant to be...

did you wipe data for Youtube after you first rooted your device?

if not.. download titanium backup and wipe data for youtube... this might cure some of your troubles

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
A little more specifically, after you download Titanium Backup, launch it, click the second tab at the top, scroll down to youtube, click it, then select wipe data. Youtube should launch the next to\ime you use it.

callisto9

Feb 21, 2011
A little more specifically, after you download Titanium Backup, launch it, click the second tab at the top, scroll down to youtube, click it, then select wipe data. Youtube should launch the next to\ime you use it.

*That's* what I was after. ;) Thank you. I had it downloaded, but had no idea how to use it!

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
YouTube might crash again if you sign in. When I was on autnooter I had to stay signed out or it would crash. Could just be me though.

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
You know how I got around that...when I autonootered and signed into my YouTube through my channel...before I closed it to do the rest of the setup, I simply signed out of it...then I closed it to setup my gmail and market...it worked just fine after that.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
You know how I got around that...when I autonootered and signed into my YouTube through my channel...before I closed it to do the rest of the setup, I simply signed out of it...then I closed it to setup my gmail and market...it worked just fine after that.

Steve, it's not just you, it is definitely a bug.

Vic you are right, logging out before closing works too. I find logging out each time or going to TitaniumBackup after a crash to be pretty much the same amount of work so for the most part I tend to wipe data after the problem rather than sign out each time.

Either way it is more an anoyance than a real problem.