Android Pad vs iPad

TapNClick

Oct 17, 2010
I plan to purchase a tablet pc in the hear future, but I don't quite understand the difference in the specs for iPad as opposed to the various Android tablet PCs.

The iPad comes in 16/32/64G of memory, but as I look at the various Droid tables it appears that most of them only have 2G of memory. That seems to be an extremely good argument in favor of the iPad if the Droid pads have such limited memory. But this discrepancy may just be in the way that the specs are written.

Can someone explain why there isn't a Droid tablet that has 64G of memory and therefore can compete head to head with a 64G iPad?

Also, it appears that it is fairly clear that with iPad one need only purchase the iWork components to be able to both read and edit MS Office files. This type of clarity doesn't seem to exist with Android and there seem to be a lot of "readers" for various file formats, but there is a dearth of applications that can actually edit the various file formats. So how can someone easily identify what they need purchase to be able to both read/write documents with MS Office compatibility?

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
You are mixing elements here. The IPad 16/32/64Gb is the storage. NOT the operating memory. Think Flash storage versus DRAM like in a PC.
A PC/Notebook may have 2Gb Ram and 500Gb Storage. The number you see are the same for IPads or Android.
Most Android tablets on sale now have 128 to 256 Mb of RAM and 2-4Gb of storage. Only the Archos and a few others have more. The Archos Android tablets can have up to 500 Gb storage. BUT, these are hard drive storage. Most Android tablets use SD or MicroSD cards for extended storage.

The Android Tablets use products like Documents to Go for Microsoft Office document compatibility. There are other alternatives too. The most common though is Documents to Go.

tarkus00

Dec 20, 2010
I never owned an apple and I do not like their attitude towards the general population. Basically they give you the choice between chocolate,strawberry, and vanilla. They tell you what processor they want you to have, what kind and how much ram to have etc.I personally build my own computers. I look at what is logical and what components have shown to be the most stable. I generally build a geeks dream machine for a whole lot less then most would expect. In fact they pay more for a machine at the big box stores that is a 1/4 of what I have. They have said in the past Macs are so great for photographers and artists/ musicians... keep drinking the koolaid I'm all that and never realized any of those problems the mac users tell me.
On with these Droid pads I know a guy who is producing some great Ipad- Iphone apps for musicians (look up morph wiz) fabulous!!!! I look up stuff for droid and I get toy pianos and BS guitars. Someone said the droids can't handle sound, and unless this is addressed there will never be stage/studio quality sounds coming out of these. Like I said I do not own anything by mac, yet I used a friends I phone as a piano on stage the other guy had one with a guitar. The people at the theater stood up and applauded I just said crap!!! got back on my rig and started playing. I went to the Verizon store where I have my cell phone service I looked at the Ipad there and the girl who was a self proclaimed guru for I pads could not answer a single tech question. I told her I was just going to use this as a musical installment, a guy I know is co inventor of some apps and this is pretty much all I'll have on this. She was so excited I actually knew an app maker, I said he got an award for morphwiz. She nearly peed herself. I looked at her and said oh my God you have been drinking too much of the special robot making koolaid. She looked at me funny and I walked out. I guess Jobs has this one tied up. Funny you can buy 2 droids and fill up your SUV twice with gas for the price of an I pad

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
Android technically is not quite tablet ready yet even as of right now. Developers are still working on software for phones, not tablets. The iPad is really far ahead of Android in terms of large screen applications. Even for work related applications, Android isn't quite up to par with iOS.

Internal memory is not significant for Android because in most cases it is expandable via microSD. There are much more extensive networking options available for the most sophisticated.

Maikai.Guy

Jan 2, 2011
Android technically is not quite tablet ready yet even as of right now. Developers are still working on software for phones, not tablets. The iPad is really far ahead of Android in terms of large screen applications. Even for work related applications, Android isn't quite up to par with iOS.

What the heck are you talking about? iOS and the iPhone/iPad platform is NOT enterprise friendly. That's why so many companies refuse to adopt them and favor Android in an overwhelming way.

As an electrical engineer, I'm all about tech. Not a company groupie. I was an iPhone owner since the beginning because nothing touched it. Now I have an HTC Incredible, because Android (Linux) is a superior platform, period. My iPhone was jailbroken, by Incredible is rooted.

I've seriously played with the Samsung Galaxy tab, but feel 7 inches is a bit too small. I can't wait for the larger Android pads to be announced at CES.

iOS and the iPhone/iPad is a toy... a game. It's better for kids. If you're a business user and are looking for an adult business tool that can also entertain as well (if not better) than an iOS based unit, Android is for you.

Maikai.Guy

Jan 2, 2011
The memory thing is actually a limitation from Apple, not a feature. Apple does not offer the ability to increase memory at a later date, so you have to choose when you buy the iPad. An Android based device will have an expandable memory slot. You decide how much memory you need. You can save money and start low now and increase later.

The Android Market is easily searchable for any type of application you need. One of the more popular Android applications to read/edit/create MSOffice documents is "Documents to go". It will do everything you want.

Pete_S

Dec 29, 2010
Nobody mentioned the price difference between iPads and most generic Android tabs ;)

The flood of new tablets this xmas has far exceeded apps written for larger screens. The apps will follow soon making this a very exciting time for android tablet owners.

I value connectivity - I can upload/download files to my tablet from virtually any PC by just removing the microSD. I can even transfer files to my phone by connecting it to the usb host port on the tablet. Give a friend some files on his usb stick - no problem with the usb host. iPad owners can only dream of this sort of flexibility. But then S. Jobs doesn't want you sharing files with friends or keeping them on several PCs.

ppgirl

Dec 21, 2010
Many android pad come;)
1.CPU: VIA ,Rockchip,telechip,freescale,zt-180,Yinfangwei ,Ti; MTK come soon
2.CLOCK:300Mhz,400Mhz,600Mhz,800Mhz,1G
3.RAM:256M
4:NAND FLASH:2G
5.SCREEN:7',8',10' ; R or C touch screen
6.Android 1.6,2.1,2.2...

feverhost

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nov 26, 2010
It's still quite hard to convince an Android fan that the iPad is even in the same category. With tablets like the Xoom, HTC 10", Dell Streak etc... etc... these are just better tablets in most Android fans' minds. Although the iPad2 "looks" nice.. it's just not an Android tablet :)

ProTeus4

Mar 15, 2011
Wow this is really interesting. I cannot believe that folks think the Ipad is more of a toy than the Droid. I personally do not have an IPad but am considering it (I do own a MacBook though). I just bought a Droid from DinoDirect (and dont get me wrong, I have fallen in love with the Android OS with this purchase alone) but would not recommend buying from China - I would suggest buying closer to your local so you can try and get support for whatever device you buy. But to get to the point, I do love this new Droid OS based tablet, BUT - it does not do Cisco VPN (if you don't hack things), has kinda flaky Exchange connectivity - is more Phone centric than Tablet centric - and unfortunately you notice it in many cases - where an app is trying to get connected via the 3g rather than the wifi and declare No Connectivity when the WiFi is running great.

It was my impression that most folks would want a Droid tablet since they are cheaper than Ipad (that was my take anyway), and that just does not seem to be the case - to get a decent droid you are going to end up paying around 500 bones - given that - why not just get a iPad 2? A device that will natively do the Cisco, has the Video Codecs, runs Kindle and Nook and has decent support as well as known and tested hardware (sorry about tarkus00 not liking Mac's stringent hardware stuff but it is because of those specifications that MAC stuff ends up being pretty dependable, reliable and just plain works).

I have been very happy with our MacBook, kinda disappointed in the Android MHK-802 - and I am sure it is a hardware issue. Given better hardware, I expect these Android Tablets would be awesome when they are more Tablet centric rather than phone centric - but once you start getting the cost equal to an iPad - shouldn't you just consider getting the iPad and be done with it? That was the way I was thinking anyway. Would love to hear more opinions and comments on this topic before I end up dropping 500+ on a particular device. As for the Android tablet I have, it will be given it to the kids so they can have an eReader that they will need to plug in to use.

Last edited:

Appychappy

Jan 24, 2011
It's no contest. The epad is way ahead of the ipad. 64gig storage? I got 2 x 256gig usb flashsticks stuck in mine. And 2x 32gig micro sd's. al lfor $200 bucks
Except for the zoom thumb finger thing the ipad is a crock.

ProTeus4

Mar 15, 2011
Well I managed to get the droid working better then cracked the screen. So it would seem you guys dont use vpns? Aside from that 1thing I am loving this little bugger.

Dornbrook

Mar 26, 2011
Nobody mentioned the price difference between iPads and most generic Android tabs ;)

The flood of new tablets this xmas has far exceeded apps written for larger screens. The apps will follow soon making this a very exciting time for android tablet owners.

I value connectivity - I can upload/download files to my tablet from virtually any PC by just removing the microSD. I can even transfer files to my phone by connecting it to the usb host port on the tablet. Give a friend some files on his usb stick - no problem with the usb host. iPad owners can only dream of this sort of flexibility. But then S. Jobs doesn't want you sharing files with friends or keeping them on several PCs.

are just better tablets in most Android fans' minds. Although the iPad2 "looks" nice.. it's just not an Android tablet

supersteve1

Mar 9, 2011
I have just been on the Amazon site, and noticed an aics x200 android tablet, and i must say for the price £179, and all the reviews, it sounds impressive. Has anyone got one of these tablets, and if you have, are they really that good, or am i better off getting a product name that i have heard off.