Android Tablet 7" and 2.2 or 3.0 recommendations?

Diabolic

Sep 13, 2010
Hi all, I'm new to the boards but I have been browsing for a while for some info.

I want to buy an Android Tablet because I need it to view videos, presentations, PDFs and maybe listen to music. Moreover it should be able to read all movies files (mkv and flv included). Not practical to render and converse movies from one format to another. Screen should be crisp, clean and not reflective (matt)

The tablet must be 7 inch to be portable and practical to use. Smaller than this makes the viewing experience poor (of watching a movie). Bigger than this kills the purpose of taking it with me.

After researching the market I found 2 tablets that suits me fine:
Archos 7o Internet Tablet and the Samsung Galaxy Tab.

There is a huge price difference and I think I will go for the Archos because I don't want/need a data plan and 3G on the go.

Most of the tablets I saw run Android 2.2 or earlier. In your experience will the Archos be upgradeable to the Android 3.0? Is it open source? Does the Honeycomb version of the Android 3.0 require higher specs to be able to run it? I want to keep my options open to benefit from the multitude of application out there. Should I wait for newer versions of Archos? Do you recommend something different? There is a slew of chinese made tablets but I want something that is better build (quality), has a capacitative touch screen that does not bug, has good specs not to slow down and a crisp clear screen. Most chinese brands lack one of those criterias.

Thank you for your recommendations.

Last edited:

ZilverZurfarn

May 3, 2010
There is a huge price difference and I think I will go for the Archos because I don't want/need a data plan and 3G on the go.

Most of the tablets I saw run Android 2.2 or earlier. In your experience will the Archos be upgradeable to the Android 3.0? Is it open source?
No, Archos 7HT wont get anything beyond Android 1.5, at least not officially. Since Archos has released their kernel source, there is a possibility someone might be able to create later Android versions for it, but then again, the processor of Archos 7HT (RockChip) is the same as many cheap Chinese tablets and on par with the first ever Android device; the T-Mo G1 (a.k.a. HTC Dream) and will probably not be capable of running 3.0 (due to rumored increased system requirements).
There's little point in speculating about Android 3.0 at this time - Without explicit written promises of upgrades from the manufacturers, you should consider yourself stuck with whatever version of Android the tablet ships with. Do not buy anything that at the point of purchase isn't really what you want, believing it will at some point be updated, unless you have that promise in writing.
Right now, Samsung's tab is in a league of its own - both in hardware but, alas, also in price. It's the first brand name Android tablet to surface, and prices will surely drop as other brands start to release tablets.
I went for a $125 Chinese tablet, well knowing its limitations, aware that I'll probably ditch it within a year for a more capable tablet (if I find the Tablet form factor to be something I can't live without).

Diabolic

Sep 13, 2010
I understand what you mean.
By the way, I am not talking about the Archos 7 Home Tablet. I am talking about the recently released Archos 70 Internet Tablet. Same size, nearly same name but huge improvements in functionalities, design and more importantly Android 2.2 :)
Approximately same specs as Samsung except for a GPS and phone / 3G connection.

No, Archos 7HT wont get anything beyond Android 1.5, at least not officially. Since Archos has released their kernel source, there is a possibility someone might be able to create later Android versions for it, but then again, the processor of Archos 7HT (RockChip) is the same as many cheap Chinese tablets and on par with the first ever Android device; the T-Mo G1 (a.k.a. HTC Dream) and will probably not be capable of running 3.0 (due to rumored increased system requirements).
There's little point in speculating about Android 3.0 at this time - Without explicit written promises of upgrades from the manufacturers, you should consider yourself stuck with whatever version of Android the tablet ships with. Do not buy anything that at the point of purchase isn't really what you want, believing it will at some point be updated, unless you have that promise in writing.
Right now, Samsung's tab is in a league of its own - both in hardware but, alas, also in price. It's the first brand name Android tablet to surface, and prices will surely drop as other brands start to release tablets.
I went for a $125 Chinese tablet, well knowing its limitations, aware that I'll probably ditch it within a year for a more capable tablet (if I find the Tablet form factor to be something I can't live without).

ZilverZurfarn

May 3, 2010
Ah, yes, the Archos 70 is also an option that might be able to run 3.0 when it is available. But again, I'd advise against buying a tablet based on what it may be capable of in the future - Go with what it's capable of when you buy it.

Diabolic

Sep 13, 2010
Ah, yes, the Archos 70 is also an option that might be able to run 3.0 when it is available. But again, I'd advise against buying a tablet based on what it may be capable of in the future - Go with what it's capable of when you buy it.

Theoretically, we must be able to flash any Android Tablet with a newer ROM version. The limits are set by the hardware, not the software. I am afraid Android 3.0 will require at least 512 RAM instead of the usual 256 RAM Tablets being sold right now!

I also found two other tablets that may suit my requirements. I am currently checking the quality of the screen: Gpad G10 and G12. (It is weird but the G11 is less equipped than the G10)

ZilverZurfarn

May 3, 2010
Theoretically, we must be able to flash any Android Tablet with a newer ROM version.
Highly theoretical. In practice, we need the source code for all hardware drivers (kernel modules) to do so. Without them, we might be able to boot a newer version, but without drivers for the display, the hardware buttons, camera, wifi & cetera, we might as well leave it off. Only the manufacturer has access to this source code, and unless the manufacturer sees a (financial) advantage in either continuing the support for "old" hardware by compiling new versions of the OS for it, or in releasing the source code to 3rd party for community support, you're stuck with what you have.

Diabolic

Sep 13, 2010
Highly theoretical. In practice, we need the source code for all hardware drivers (kernel modules) to do so. Without them, we might be able to boot a newer version, but without drivers for the display, the hardware buttons, camera, wifi & cetera, we might as well leave it off. Only the manufacturer has access to this source code, and unless the manufacturer sees a (financial) advantage in either continuing the support for "old" hardware by compiling new versions of the OS for it, or in releasing the source code to 3rd party for community support, you're stuck with what you have.

I found a third party community working on flashing the Archos 5 Internet tablet.
They are somewhat successful but need help to solve a few minor bugs. If the community was bigger, I am sure it would be done faster and easier.

openAOS brings you: FroYo alpha1 for Archos 5 IT! « openAOS

ZilverZurfarn

May 3, 2010
Yes, the community work put into our beloved Android devices is incredible. However, - I keep repeating myself - you can only hope for community support when you buy some piece of hardware like this (unless it's already some "old" hardware where the community is already formed). Don't let it be a part of your decision. Take whatever comes as a bonus.

apad.king

Aug 20, 2010
[/QUOTE]I also found two other tablets that may suit my requirements. I am currently checking the quality of the screen: Gpad G10 and G12. (It is weird but the G11 is less equipped than the G10)[/QUOTE]

It depends what you are after. The G11 has more internal storage - approx 3.3GB useable, it also has HDMI out, it has a better build quality, usually comes with a leather look case screwed to the back but removable. It doesn't have G-sensor (but you can install RotateD app from markets to rotate screen) and no camera but these cameras are pretty poor quality anyway. Ask your supplier to show you an example picture taken with one. I also think the G11 has a better battery usage life but maybe someone else can qualify that.

Last edited:

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
I have to agree with ZilverZufarn. I have a WITs A81-E A 7 inch which DOES have 2.2 and Market, but is crippled by the lack of the accelerometer, camera, and Microphone. It is my favored tablet of the moment, but it has the just spoken weaknesses and completely sold out from almost every vendor. I like it for the function (now) Bluetooth capability and removable battery.
It does have a good group of Firmware cooks, but the lack of some key features makes me think this unit will be updated and I will have an orphan of a type.
Keep in mind, Community based Firmware cooks are bleeding edge and move to newer versions as they come out. There is an Angstrom Linux port, various 2.2 varieties.

I am waiting on the Archos 10.1 in October. But know it will not have Market, and will need community support to make it interesting.

Diabolic

Sep 13, 2010
I have to agree with ZilverZufarn. I have a WITs A81-E A 7 inch which DOES have 2.2 and Market, but is crippled by the lack of the accelerometer, camera, and Microphone. It is my favored tablet of the moment, but it has the just spoken weaknesses and completely sold out from almost every vendor. I like it for the function (now) Bluetooth capability and removable battery.
It does have a good group of Firmware cooks, but the lack of some key features makes me think this unit will be updated and I will have an orphan of a type.
Keep in mind, Community based Firmware cooks are bleeding edge and move to newer versions as they come out. There is an Angstrom Linux port, various 2.2 varieties.

I am waiting on the Archos 10.1 in October. But know it will not have Market, and will need community support to make it interesting.

I am buying the Archos 70.
New piece of info: you can have the full Market through an .apk application you can install on the Archos :)

by the way, the new Galaxy Tab wont have phone capabilities in the US! so maybe they will sell it cheaper now! and it will be more competitive with the Archos and Pads alike. I may choose the Galaxy tab but still waiting for the price update and the quality of the screen. First hand-out it will be as glossy as the ipad. Is it nice to view movies with a glossy screen? hum, not really ... will see ...

Last edited:

wizard749

Sep 14, 2010
I have been researching 7" tablets for four months. The two I see are coming soon and look the best are aa follows. NUMBER 1 is the elocity A7. Number 2 is the Velocity Cruz Tablet. Look at the specs for both. They both can be pre ordered now, and ship in mid October.

twistid

Sep 14, 2010
So it looks like the best tablets coming soon are the Velocity Cruz Tablet ($300, 4 gig internal with 8 gig SDcard bundled, No information on CPU?, 512 Ram, Android 2.1, Capacitive touch screen), Elocity A7($370, 4gig internal, NVIDIA Tegra II T‐20, 1GHz, 1MB L2 Cache, 512ram, Android 2.2, Capacitive touch), Archos 70 ($275 8 gig, 1GhzARM Cortex A8, 256 Ram, Android 2.2, Capacitive multitouch screen)

The Archos 70 is cheapest but only has 256 Ram as per the Archos Forum (It's not listed on the website), has 8 gig onboard memory
The Velocity comes with most memory with 4 gig onboard and 8 gig card added but no information listed on CPU and it only has Android 2.1
The Elocity A7 claims its the fastest with NVidia CPU but its also nearly $100 more than the Archos.

Which do you guys think is the best bang for buck? The Archos 70 seems to be pretty nice, I would have picked the Velocity if it didn't have 2.1 and gave specs on its CPU. The Elocity seems to be the best obviously, but its price sort of puts it in a different category.