Android Tablet Questions

BShep26

Oct 8, 2010
Hey guys and gals, new to the website and looking to get a tablet. This website is great with all the reviews and help with deciding which tablet to go with.

Anyways, I am looking at the Haipad M701 Android 2.1 tablet. Mainly just want it for browsing internet, ereader, and watching videos.

My main question is with Android 2.1 you can only view up to Flash 9 correct? Is this a hardware issue or is it something to do with the droid OS? Just figured that you should be able to download Flash 10 but everything I read says that Froyo (2.2) is the only version you can view Flash 10 on.

Anyways, if someone could clear that up for me it would be great.

Also point me in the right direction for ordering my Haipad at a reasonable price would be awesome!! Thanks

OffWorld

Oct 5, 2010
If Flash is a must-have for you then you'll have to buy a 2.2 device.

There are some Android 2.1 phones with Flash Lite installed on them, but if there's a way to install those .apk files on another device I haven't found it (to clarify, I've installed the FlashLitePlugin.apk from an 2.1 HTC phone and a Flash 10.1 that was built to run on 2.1 - but it only works on an HTC phone. You can install them on the Haipad without errors, but they won't DO anything).

As for watching videos, my Haipad M701-R came with the YouTube app preinstalled and works like a charm. I have also watched videos with the Skyfire browser app, TV.com app, and Bloomberg app. If you were hoping for Hulu, though, even people with working Flash 10.1 on Android can't access it - Hulu is blocking mobile devices.

If you have any downloaded video files it will also play most of them. I've played .avi, .mp4, .mov, .wmv, and .divx videos on mine. Some of those are 1080p HD video too and played very smoothly.

Last edited:

pazvanti

Jun 19, 2010
Herotab just released two new tablets. you may like to take a look at them. Both have Android 2.2 and Flash 10.1 out of the box. They also have 512MB RAM and other cool specs. you can find some info here: Android Tablet Comparison

Chucant

Oct 11, 2010
Hi Pazvanti ! How can I get android market(apps) into this Herotab M10? Thanks. Looks like an Ipad killer...in a way!

pazvanti

Jun 19, 2010
As far as I know it does not have the official Android market out of the box (but it can be installed with a bit of hacking...there are tutorials on the internet about this)...and there are also other markets that are really good: SlideMe (I really like it and I use it all the time on my Camangi WebStation) and also the Camangi Market.
Also, if you download any apk file, just put it on the sdcard, browse to it from the tablet's file browsing app and you can install it from there.

jlaubin

Oct 24, 2010
i have a irobot android 1.5.. and it sucks at video playback. my nokia phone does very well at playing divx movies..this apad doesn't cut it..it will stutter along on mp4's..do noth on divx.. i tried act1 and rock programs..they didn't help..The new Archos 70 looks better if the 7 hours of battery life is good and when the battery goes you can find a replacement..Supposidly available next week..

jlaubin

Oct 24, 2010
ok i played further..it would not play my present files but i put a dvd in "magic dvd ripper" selected ipod size output to the sd card and wala it worked..runs fine or use www.moviedir.com and buy some already in ipod format..($20.00 a month for all you can download)..new movies..those that say lq low quality can be pretty junky, the rest are dvd copies..

Thunder

Oct 25, 2010
I'm new to android tablets, so my questions may sound stupid, but I'll be grateful to anyone who will answer me.
1. Zoom with 2 fingers. I watched YouTube demos for different 9-10 inch tablets (I'm interested only in this size), but haven't seen if it's possible to zoom in-out having grabbed things with 2 fingers and moving in-out -- Like on iPad?
2. Shall I be able to (a) write notes [open office or ms word formats would be an advantage], (b) read documents, [including .pdf and .djvu formats]?
3. Software availability for 9-10 inch devices, how it depends on screen resolution, aspect ratio, etc.?
4. From the point of view of all mentioned above what would you recommend? Is there any significant difference between new Cortex A8 device [Archos 101, Herotab M10] and older ones [Zenithink ZT180, Eken m008, ePad, aPad M16, Haipad M101] which are 100$ cheaper?
5. As I predict you'll say that newer devices are much better, which 1 would you recommend: Archos 101 or Herotab M10, or maybe there is something better I don't know of?
I'll really appreciate if somebody answers my questions.

hoben02

Nov 10, 2010
I'm new to android tablets, so my questions may sound stupid, but I'll be grateful to anyone who will answer me.
1. Zoom with 2 fingers. I watched YouTube demos for different 9-10 inch tablets (I'm interested only in this size), but haven't seen if it's possible to zoom in-out having grabbed things with 2 fingers and moving in-out -- Like on iPad?
2. Shall I be able to (a) write notes [open office or ms word formats would be an advantage], (b) read documents, [including .pdf and .djvu formats]?
3. Software availability for 9-10 inch devices, how it depends on screen resolution, aspect ratio, etc.?
4. From the point of view of all mentioned above what would you recommend? Is there any significant difference between new Cortex A8 device [Archos 101, Herotab M10] and older ones [Zenithink ZT180, Eken m008, ePad, aPad M16, Haipad M101] which are 100$ cheaper?
5. As I predict you'll say that newer devices are much better, which 1 would you recommend: Archos 101 or Herotab M10, or maybe there is something better I don't know of?
I'll really appreciate if somebody answers my questions.

1. if there is a zoom function i've only seen apps with two magnifying glasses on the bottom with + and - for zooming. Most of the apps use all of the screen real estate and don't provide any zoom function.
2. no problem on opening .pdf files. There is an app called "documents to go" that has the ability to work with microsoft documents.
3. i've been downloading apps from the android market and most just use all of the screen real estate there are some that indicate only for specific devices(mainly phones)
4. I use the zenithink zt180, but its as a casual browser device for reading news, searching kayak, times i don't want to fire up my pc

zerotiger

Nov 11, 2010
Multi-touch compatibility is more to do with hardware than anything else. It depends on the type of touchscreen. The Archos 101 may be your best bet. It's just a matter of them getting them to the US in a timely manner.