android tablet vs nook

MVBJJ

Dec 17, 2010
(Sorry, after writing this I realize it's not quite what you asked. I'll investigate what happens through the browser when I get a chance!)

OK, here's a quick report:

- running a rooted NC with GMail and working Market
- using the stock version of QuickOffice (read-only, I believe)
- emailed myself one Excel (xls) and Word (doc) file from my PC

Results:

- Opened message in GMail app
- "Preview" button next to each attachment
- Excel file opened perfectly, including an embedded chart
- On menu, there is a "Save As" option
- Saved to SDCard -> Downloads
- Navigated to location on SDcard, and opened with QuickOffice -> no problems (still read only)

HOWEVER, for some reason I was unable to view the DOC file. Each time I selected Preview, I got the Excel instead. Probably a cache issue, but no obvious way to clear the cache with GMail. Perhaps I could poke around and delete it manually.

Finally:

- composed a new message on the NC
- attached the copy of the file from the SDCard
- emailed with no problems

Let me know if you have any questions!

-Matt

Thanks Matt. Just what I needed to know. Looks like a keeper. Is Gmail an app that comes with the stock Nook Color or do I need to install it? or is it Webmail accessed via browser on the NC?. Just re-read your first sentence. I will stand by for your report on how it works through the browser. Thanks again.

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Thanks Matt. Just what I needed to know. Looks like a keeper. Is Gmail an app that comes with the stock Nook Color or do I need to install it? or is it Webmail accessed via browser on the NC?. Just re-read your first sentence. I will stand by for your report on how it works through the browser. Thanks again.
No Gmail with stock NC (but using the stock browser to check Gmail works OK). As of the latest rooting procedure (which is very easy, by the way) at nookDevs, however, GMail and Market access are included:

NookColor Rooting - nookDevs

The current rooting process will

• Enable you to install apps on the Barnes & Noble NookColor using ADB (the android loader from the android SDK.
  • Install su and Superuser.apk
  • Install Busybox
  • Install sqlite3 (not yet)
  • Enable Non-Market Installs (not yet but manual instructions are linked below)
  • Install Calendar and Calculator.
  • Install and enable Android Market, Gmail, Youtube
  • Enable Multi-touch for Android Apps
  • Enable Live Wallpapers
  • Enable Android Market and Gmail.
  • App Auto Install (automatically install apps that you drop into the sdcards /data/app folder via USB)
  • Installs Soft Keys 2.0.
  • Installs Genie Widgets.
  • Installs Droid X Multi-touch Keyboard as an option.
  • Adds a removable Custom Boot Animation.
Oh, apparently the rooting process is so good it enables Market and Gmail twice! And that app auto install thing looks interesting.

-Matt

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Quick question, is it possible to save email attachments of Microsoft Office files to the Nook external micro SD card? With no email client I assume I have to access Webmail with the browser. As an e-reader my wife has a need to email microsoft office docs to either her Yahoo or GMail account for reading and potential saving on the Nook Color.
OK, now for part 2: access Office documents through a browser interface. Result...not good.

I brought up the same email I'd sent myself (with the Excel and Word) attachments inside (a) Dolphin HD and (b) the stock NC browser. Pretty much the same outcome in both cases.

- Very slow, laggy experience
- Each document has a set of options (view as HTML, Open in Google Docs, Download, etc.)
- Choosing either Download or the Download all attachments (this works fine on a PC) had no effect
- (Should also note it doesn't look possible to create an attachment for an outbound message -- button says "Uploads disabled")
- Using any of the View options (as HTML, in Google Docs) was a disaster -- basically very laggy and difficult to view
- Also, even with the documents open in Google Docs, it was either difficult/not possible to edit

Basically I think working through a browser interface is not currently viable.

-Matt

Last edited:

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Here's an interesting footnote. I duplicated the process above using the GMail app, this time sending myself an epub document. I figured either "hey, it's an ereader and it will open the attachment right up," or "I'll get the option to download." Unfortunately neither was true. Although I could tell there was an attachment in the message, there was no way for me to open or download it. That sucks.

I assume the Office files worked because of the integration with QuickOffice. I wonder why the same wasn't true with an epub file (the NC has a native reader installed)?

-Matt

Joeff

Feb 1, 2011
(Sorry, after writing this I realize it's not quite what you asked. I'll investigate what happens through the browser when I get a chance!)

OK, here's a quick report:

- running a rooted NC with GMail and working Market
- using the stock version of QuickOffice (read-only, I believe)
- emailed myself one Excel (xls) and Word (doc) file from my PC

Results:

- Opened message in GMail app
- "Preview" button next to each attachment
- Excel file opened perfectly, including an embedded chart
- On menu, there is a "Save As" option
- Saved to SDCard -> Downloads
- Navigated to location on SDcard, and opened with QuickOffice -> no problems (still read only)

HOWEVER, for some reason I was unable to view the DOC file. Each time I selected Preview, I got the Excel instead. Probably a cache issue, but no obvious way to clear the cache with GMail. Perhaps I could poke around and delete it manually.

Finally:

- composed a new message on the NC
- attached the copy of the file from the SDCard
- emailed with no problems

Let me know if you have any questions!

-Matt

Still didn't work using yahoomail I did many times downloading the attached files (PDF, DOC, XLS) yet it's formatted in a different interface. I think there's something missing and when I check it using the ADE from a PC it has an error of IO #2038 meaning it has to do with the flash...

Actually I found the problem

rjoudrey

Dec 25, 2010
Everything works great for me. 1.1 rooted running at 1.1 ghz. If this is not your experience do more reading. The only thing I don't have is contact sync.

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
wow old thread back to life; a lot has changed and improved since then with the Nook Color. :)