Any Point Getting a Note 10.1 if I Have No Intention to Draw or Use the Stylus?

mikeb33

Dec 15, 2012
I have a Galaxy Note 2 phone now and love it, but I never use the stylus. I also have an iPad the whole family uses so I want my own tablet. I really dislike the restrictions that Apple products impose like itunes, etc. So I am deciding on my Christmas present so i better decide and buy or order this weekend so the family can wrap it up.
It's mostly for goofing around, playing games, email, movies, and web surfing on the couch. Maybe laptop replacement on trips too. Since I like my phone and the S3 before it, I thought of a galaxy first. The thing is, everything I see and read refers to the stylus. I have no need to take notes, draw, annotate, etc. I don't know if I would ever use it, so should I still consider it or go for something like a Nexus 10 or TF700?

icbi24

Dec 15, 2012
There's no differences in term of spec on note and others. Except the note is tailored for certain apps that benefit from it.

So it's still it a good tablet IMO.

sent from my Ainol Novo7 Elf II using Tapatalk 2

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
There's no differences in term of spec on note and others. Except the note is tailored for certain apps that benefit from it.

So it's still it a good tablet IMO.

sent from my Ainol Novo7 Elf II using Tapatalk 2

Actually the specs of the Note 10.1 are quite different. The processor is significantly more powerful than the Tegra 3 used in competing high end Android tablets. The dual band wifi is faster and more reliable, and the GPS is augmented with Glonass (I believe the Acer A700 also has this advantage). It has 2 gigs of ram and a modified version of Android that allows for multitasking. It is an incredibly powerful machine, but the question is do its advantages outweigh its premium price and relatively low resolution display. For me the answer is an easy yes, but it certainly isn't for everyone.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 10.1

bocabean

Dec 10, 2012
I like the question, but I am not sure that I can answer it yet. I got my Note 10.1 WiFi about a week ago. My reasons for having it are almost identical, except that my phone is a Droid RAZR max. I also have a Lapdock 500 Pro. So far, I have just been playing around with it (such as right now), keeping up to date with apps and such. I can't say that I have an overwhelming need for the S pen and I have barely played with it yet.

My wife felt that I should have this tablet because I kept talking about getting one (although not necessarily this one). I received the 10.1 as a surprise gift. I am still in the Best Buy window in case I decide to return it, but I really do not see the need to do that yet. For me, the resolution is fine, I like the fact that I can use dual functions, and at least I have the option to use or not use the S pen. I know that if I exchange it for a better resolution (for which my tired old eyes may not see much of a difference anyway), I would wind up with super model X with twice the resolution, only to be disappointed that model Y will come out with three times better resolution quality one week later. When does it ever end, and we know the answer to that.

So for me, I think I am happy with it so far. People say that it takes too long to charge. Haven't noticed that because I am not lying awake at night watching it charge. If not in use, I shut it off. I''ll get my 99% useless up to the minute updates on my phone anyway.

So that's my take. It's a'll about how, when, and what you use it for. I also conduct all of my business on my laptop PC and cloud connected other computers.

Samsung makes great products so it won't be a bad choice.

Good luck with your decision!

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
Not sure why you would shut it off, when the Samsung is asleep there is virtually no power drain, it can literally go weeks. It has the same characteristics as my 7 plus, and with wifi off and sitting for 5 weeks it is at 46% battery level. Even with wifi on and connected the battery drain is absolutely minimal.

plck68

Sep 25, 2012
"you have no intention to draw and use the stylus" Once u discover how easy it is to make certain markings or remarks on pictures/maps and send them out quickly via all sorts of media(email/whatsapp/messager...etc), the saying a picture speaks a thousand words comes truth. Try this fantastic feature, u will not regret it.

Frank.Aviator

Jun 25, 2011
I also though that I'd never use the S Pen, but have since discovered several cool uses for it. One example is, that you can use it as a "mouse pointer" on several websites without the S Pen touching the screen, and have drop-down menus work.

The other advantage is multitasking with two apps on the screen at the same time, plus you can have several pop-up apps as well (calculator, memo pad, calendar etc.) this is really useful! The one drawback with multitask is you have a limited number of apps to choose from.

Since I got this tablet I haven't even turned my old one on.

Good luck!!

Last edited:

mikeb33

Dec 15, 2012
I also though that I'd never use the S Pen, but have since discovered several cool uses for it. One example is, that you can use it as a "mouse pointer" on several websites without the S Pen touching the screen, and have drop-down menus work.

The other advantage is multitasking with two apps on the screen at the same time, plus you can have several pop-up apps as well (calculator, memo pad, calendar etc.) this is really useful! The one drawback with multitask is you have a limited number of apps to choose from.

Since I got this tablet I haven't even turned my old one on.

Good luck!!

Can you do a 'right click" with it?
I have one under the tree so we'll see on Tuesday how it goes...

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
Can you do a 'right click" with it?
I have one under the tree so we'll see on Tuesday how it goes...

Tap and hold will bring up available options. There are also other functions avaible with the button on the pen.

Arthereq

Jan 8, 2013
I bought myself the galaxy note 10.1 for xmas and like you i was wondering if it was worth it to buy the note or just get the galaxy tab2. I really had no interest in the S-Pen so wasn't sure it was going to be worth it to spend the extra cash for the note, but once i started asking around, and reading up on the internet I was sold on the note. For me one of the main reasons was the quad core processor and 2gig memory. I also really liked the idea of multi-tasking. For me the S-Pen was just a after thought, but once i bought the note I found the S-Pen to actually be really usefull.

So i have no regrets in spending the extra cash on the note and am looking forward to the jelly bean update!!

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
No doubt the Note is an incredible machine. My brother got a 4th gen iPad at Christmas and we were kind of playing around, comparing the two and the Note got most of the attention. Everyone was fascinated with the Stylus, like it was some new amazing invention rather than just a realization that the finger is not always the ideal input method.

macthecat

May 16, 2012
I didn't realy need the stylus either but bought a galaxy note as I got a fantastic deal from John Lewis plus a £50 cashback offer direct from Samsung the note came in cheaper than the galaxy tab I was thinking about, I was not disapointed it is a power house and I always use the stylus now it has quickly become second nature; I find it far more acurate than a finger having explored the S pen features my advice would be go for it even at full price this is a much better tab than the regular galaxy. I am beginning to try photoshop touch and was suprised to see just what can be achived you can do about 70-80% of what you can complete with photoshop elements.

If you dont need the S pen functions its still a great piece of kit, but you could get a cheaper tablet that hasnt got all these features a lot cheaper, but it wont have anywhere near the spec the note has.

Cheers
macthecat

Last edited: