Anyone have a Coby Kyros 7015?

willyarnold

Dec 26, 2010
Hi guys.

Joeaverage - Yes there is an update. You can find it at CobyUSA.com

ny4you - AppsLib is presently down. Everyone is screaming about it on other forums. It is maintained by Archos for Android Tablets. I'm sure they will have it up soon. However, if you follow the above directions to get the official Android Market on your tablet you won't care about AppsLib anymore.

willyarnold

Dec 26, 2010
Oh, and here is my review of the Coby Kyros 7015, previously posted on another forum:

Pros

Faster, more responsive, better touchscreen, better battery than my nephew's Eken M002
Contrary to my first impressions , battery life is turning out to be pretty good (I got 7 hours 15 minutes web surfing)
Great hardware (720mhz, 256RAM, G-sensor, 3,200mAH battery, microUSB, microSD) for the price (as low as $149 online)
Much cheaper than an iPad or Galaxy Tab
Great as an eReader, decent as a web browser
Capacitive touch screen would have been nice (not available in this price range) but this resistive screen is really pretty good
I like the 7 inch form factor, which makes it much lighter than most 10 inch tablets and small enough to hold in one hand and even fit (barely) in my back pocket
Bright, vibrant display looks great
Plays my mkv files flawlessly without hesitation or sync issues

Cons

I have a scratch in my screen already and I have been very careful (may have been there out of the box)
Slower, not as responsive as my iPod touch or my Windows laptop
No camera (doesn't matter to me, but some may want one)
No volume button
"Wakes up" every few minutes when in standby mode
Pictures stretch and I look fat in landscape mode (maybe the pixels are not truly "square")
Sometimes web pages zoom in or out when I don't want them to (hard to control)
No Android Market out of the box (however, it can be added manually)

-------

And here are the specs I have on it so far:

Coby Kyros Internet Tablet - MID7015

Lowest Online Price = $149 (Brandsmart USA & Adorama Camera)

Screen Size: 7 inch
Screen Type: Resistive, single touch
Resolution: 800 x 480
Aspect: 16 x 9.6
CPU: Telechips TTC8902 800 mhz (clocked at 720 mhz)
Graphics: 3D capable
Wifi: 802.11 B/G
Blutooth: no
RAM: 256 MB
Battery: 3,200 mAh Lithium Ion Polymer
Batt Life: up to 6 or 7 hours web surfing (per users tests)
Card: up to 32 GB micro SD
Camera: no
Weight: 0.9 LBs
Dimensions: 0.48" x 7.5" x 4.75"
Gravity Sensor: yes, 3 axis
GPS: no
Flash Support: not yet
Market: AppsLib (Android Market can be installed)
HDMI out: yes, up to 1080p
Includes: notebook style case, stylus, USB cable, USB host cable, ear buds, charger, cleaning cloth

Overall I am very happy with my device, especially for the price. I would recommend it to others who want a pretty decent budget tablet

BKenney

Dec 10, 2010
I bought one and rooted it, worked fine after installing market. Doesn't have flash support, does anyone know if there are any 2.2 tons out there for it bc I think the processing is there for it...

Sent from my PC36100 using Android Tablet Forum App

As far as I know, you can install the flash apk and it will work fine. I remember seeing a member of XDA talking about it. Will post the link when I locate the thread again.

Does anyone know if you can download ebooks onto it without rooting it?

Yes, the Kyros has a pre-installed ebook app called Aldiko. I personally think it functions better than the infamous Amazon Kindle app, way better in fact. But the ebook market connected to the Aldiko app sucks- hence making the Kindle app better suited if you are going to download books via the device. Otherwise it's very simple to download them onto a PC and transfer them right to the Kyros or SD card.
(Kindle app can only be installed IF you root the device and install the Google/Android Marketplace)

Last edited:

BKenney

Dec 10, 2010
I re-established the information for installing flash on Android 2.1 devices. Turns out it wasn't on XDA it was somewhere else (whoops). Regardless I posted the steps in a new thread. Check it out here.

roxx727

Dec 28, 2010
I used an SDHC card and have not had a problem with it.
I did have to format the card in my PC before the Kyros recognized it though.

I got my Kyros on black friday. Before i buy a Sd card for it will it work with SDHC cards or only Sd cards? Thanks for your help.

salzybaby

Oct 5, 2010
Okay, played with these at kmart before christmas. I had a favorable opinion. I got one for my son for his birthday. 12/23. I got one from santa. Unfortunately, the flu kept my house out of the festive playing mood. Now that I'm better let the games begin.

Appslib has not worked at all for me. My son was able to download some games on his bday. My temp solution was finding "slide me" downloaded and installed directly to the tab. Got a couple file managers. I backed up apps from my phone that I wanted using astra and a micro sd card. Loaded everything to the tablet from there.

I will be backing everything up tomorrow and trying to install market.

Does anyone know why the market apk won't just install?

Overall pleased with the device. More so if I get the market installed. But for now, I have football to watch.

Sent from my MID7015 using Android Tablet Forum App

eltopo

Dec 26, 2010
I can't get it to access AppsLib. All download attempts time out, despit wi-fi being set properly, and the web can be surfed. The day, month, and year settings have already been entered into the unit.

Last edited:

crissco

Dec 30, 2010
I just bought one and I am having trouble installed watch wizard and unable to close it Also unable to set time. The time on my tablet is 8:30

KyRo5.00

Jan 7, 2011
How did you get the SDHC card inside bcz my Kyros tablet keeps poppin' out the card and won;t stay in?>

KyRo5.00

Jan 7, 2011
To set the time on the KYROS tablet --> go on ''settings'' and then scroll down to the ''DATE&TIME'' then there's the ''SET TIME'', tap on it and set the time

salzybaby

Oct 5, 2010
For the SD card I've had to use my finger nail and push it in a lot. You'll hear a click when it locks in.

Sent from my MID7015 using Android Tablet Forum App

bronx_kyros

Jan 11, 2011
Mine works fine. I got it on sale. I did have to update the device but that was absolutely no problem and happened fast. The application 'Spare Parts' seems to fail when trying to set the large fonts to small. Some apps don't work when fetching them from the AppsLib market. Most of the apps I find to be total garbage and not practical. I tried to install Adobe Reader and Autodesk Sketchbook Express but could not get anywhere on that. For now I have to use two different PDF readers because one will not read some PDFs. I was surprised that any video I tried to play worked...no converting required. The scrolling (scroll bar) sucks big time...it's not like Apple devices. Overall it is worth the buy for less than 200 dollars.

Sue7M3

Staff member
Jan 2, 2011
Bronx, I highly recommend rooting it so you can use the Android Market. It makes a huge difference!

Oldgoat

Jan 27, 2011
Hello, I'm a newbie to this forum as I just got my Kyros 7015 today. I'm not a total tech dummie but I feel a bit lost already. I have a feeling this forum is gonna be very helpful.:)
The first thing I notice is that my Kyros doesn't show any staus indicator light when charging. I assume that light is located next to the plug. Has anyone else encountered this?
I'll be back when I have enough experience to even ask a question.:)

OK duh ! I find that there isn't any little light next to the plug. So I now assume that the orange light they are referring to in their FAQ is actually the battery status indicator on the screen. Is this correct?

Last edited:

l_n

Dec 28, 2010
there's a red led on the bottom of the device in between the usb and hdmi ports. it will turn green when the unit is fully charged.