Anyone tried this - Samsung 8" white android 2.2 tablet with stylus for $215

edtechdev

Nov 13, 2010
Samsung Chipset Freehand Writing Android Tablet
(I don't know what the actual name of the tablet is)

Looks nice to me - I'm looking for something students can use - so the fact that it has a resistive screen and comes with a stylus is actually a plus (so students can draw and write formulas and graphs)

review:
Video: Samsung Chipset Freehand Writing Android 2.2 Tablet Hands-on (Merry Christmas) | Gadgets & Geek world

and the order page
Android 2.2 Samsung S5PV210 ARM CortexTM A8 MID 8 Inch Tablet PC Support Web Flash 3G HDMI - US$ 215.00

although he also links to this other rockchip one for $188
Capacitive 5 Points Touchscreen Metal Alloy HDMI E-reader Rockchip 2818 Android Tablet - US$ 188.00

docnas

Dec 1, 2010
that samsung sspv210 tablet seems intriguing @215 with free shipping seems a good price and the tablet does have some nice features.

feverhost

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nov 26, 2010
Both tablets are nice... but opt for quicker shipping... it will be worth the extra price.

Jhawk

Jan 2, 2011
I am waiting on mine right now. But I oppted out of buying from the two sites that advertise it for 215... they both got horrible reviews. shipping timeframe issues. Not getting what they ordered, and issues returning. I ordered from sobuying. It cost a little more and I had to pay for shipping (Hopefully feverost is right about the upgraded shipping cost cause I did) But sobuying got great reviews. I would personally pay more for better service. Good luck

Sleve420

Jan 3, 2011
I am waiting on mine right now. But I oppted out of buying from the two sites that advertise it for 215... they both got horrible reviews. shipping timeframe issues. Not getting what they ordered, and issues returning. I ordered from sobuying. It cost a little more and I had to pay for shipping (Hopefully feverost is right about the upgraded shipping cost cause I did) But sobuying got great reviews. I would personally pay more for better service. Good luck

Please let us know how it turns out! I've been trolling a bit to see if anyone had ordered one from somewhere other than merimobiles.com. I just spoke to pandawill.com via their live chat about the differences in their TMD 8" MID Android 2.2 Samsung SP5V210 and the Herotab MID816 found on merimobiles.com. Here was the short converstaion:

Chloe 12:50:38
Hello, Welcome to Pandawill! Anything we can do for you? :)
Me 12:51:05
Yes I'm curious which color TMD 8" MID Samsung Sp5v you have currently in stock
Me 12:51:38
I'll be ordering one this week and don't want to order anything you don't have ready to ship out
Chloe 12:52:22
hi, both color is ok
Me 12:52:41
ok so black & white are both readily available?
Chloe 12:52:53
yes
Me 12:53:13
Ok. and I know that its Not the Herotab MID816, but are the specs the same on both devices?
Chloe 12:53:59
which one ?
Me 12:54:18
TMD MID Samsung sp5v and the Herotab MID816. are the specs the same?
Me 12:55:01
You have a great price, just wondering if there are any big differences
Chloe 12:58:22
yes
Chloe 12:58:26
1 second
Chloe 12:58:29
let me check
Me 12:58:45
ok
Chloe 12:59:49
hi
Chloe 12:59:57
what is "Herotab MID816"?
Me 13:00:31
it's basically the same tablet i believe
Me 13:00:40
found on merimobiles.com and various other sites
Me 13:01:13
wondering if you know of any major differences
Chloe 13:01:37
yes
Chloe 13:01:41
this is same product
Me 13:02:12
ok fantastic
Me 13:02:19
thank you very much for your help!

They take awhile to respond sometimes so I tried to keep this as short as possible. I've been seriously considering trying pandawill's version. If anyone has ordered one I'd love to hear a review.

Jhawk

Jan 2, 2011
Well I ordered mine on wed o last week and recieved it Today. Pay for the yprgarded shipping. Now that thats out of the way. I need a little help. The unit came with a lot of apps installed that are giving me an error message when I try to run them for ex. "The application Gmail(process com.google.android.gm)has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again" no this has happened on several of the apps I have tried to use that came pre loaded. any suggestions?

Sleve420

Jan 3, 2011
I'm not sure that gmail is functioning yet. Youtube has to be reloaded/reinstalled in order to work. If you check the programs - installation - root thread they explain how to force over .apk files. There is supposed to be a firmware upgrade this week. I'm currently in live chat with merimobiles waiting to see if they have an official date for it's release.

EDIT: I'm not sure if that Programs-Applications-Installation-Root thread is here or at SlateDroid? I've been getting lost in the forums lately. Merimobiles says they're receiving more Herotabs on Friday :) and I find myself too scared to order from PandaWill (No offense if they follow this forum) but harsh reviews can really put me off, but i Did use their livechat and they were helpful. theirs is the same tablet, but only a 1.3MP camera from what they told me.

UPDATE: Here's my short convo with merimobiles.

Please wait for the next available representative…
Steve: I was told that you expect more Herotab MID816's in at the end of this week. I can't currently order one because it always says out of stock & won't put it in the cart. Will I be able to order one and be Sure i'll get one in this next shipment?

You are next in queue. We will be with you in just a moment.
Admin: hello
Admin: Ye sir
Admin: they will be back on stock on friday
Steve: ok and will i be able to order one? like they're not pre-ordered or anything?
Steve: been waiting to get one of these, just want to make sure i wont have to wait for Another shipment
Admin: you will be able to gt one sir
Steve: fantastic. and is there a definate date of the release of the new firmware for it?
Steve: i follow the forums alot and keep seeing a mention of a firmware update sometime this week? was wondering if there's an official date
Admin: Not official but we will have it by the end of the week
Steve: ok, i can deal with that, since I won't be orderig til friday i assume it'll be ready by the time i actually get the tablet

Last edited:

Jhawk

Jan 2, 2011
I heard about the firmware update in another forum. But no one has been able to tell me how to obtain the update. Is there a website i can go to to download it? How does it work?

imediaviewer

Jan 4, 2011
Actually,Samsung S5PV210 is 1GHz. Samsung Tab adopts the CPU. the speed is very quick than Rockchip and some others. it's ok if it's really Android 2.2 OS. I think it's resistance display. if it can make call would be better.

Sleve420

Jan 3, 2011
I heard about the firmware update in another forum. But no one has been able to tell me how to obtain the update. Is there a website i can go to to download it? How does it work?

the firmware still hasn't released yet. Merimobiles told me they expect it at the end of the week (probably around the same time they receive their new shipment of herotabs) and it will be posted on their website merimobiles.com - Slatedroid members will also be posting it in their forum if merimobiles takes it down.

i'm not sure exactly how the installation of the new firmware goes, mainly because i don't have my tablet yet, but i'm sure the forums will provide painless instructions on getting yourself updated.

moxiebee

Dec 28, 2010
How about it "Feverhost" Super Moderator. I read somewhere that Now Supplier jerked you around too. You said in one of your post that you would put a ban on them. How about it. Isn't it time we tell Mr. Yan Liu of Now Supplier that we all have had enough. We need to help folks not get ripped off. Please reply

Eggtastico

Feb 9, 2011
I got one today.
Delivery was just under 2 weeks - not sure if direct links are allowed, so I sorry if
I break any rules Wholesale New arrival 8inch Samsung Android 2.2 S5PV210 ARM CortexTM A8 MID Tablet PC Flash 3G HDMI

not had a play yet as technically its a present for my stepdad, but im sure I'll get a play later to set it all up, etc.

had a little look & the screen response is very quick. WIFI found my network with ease & the few programs I did launch seem to load quickly.

I wish they made these with capacitive touch, I'd get one for myself then - though the screen is easily big enough not to want/need to zoom in & out on things.

oh & the firmware page thing says the model is SEC_SMD210
The manual is in english & came with a UK plug for me

dardoncas

Nov 10, 2010
Here is another one. I was not sure what to call this one as it did not look like the other two Aishuo A816 tablets I have seen, however when I received this unit, it was indeed labeled Aishuo A816 on the back:

- Aishuo A816 (8 inch):

http://www.aliexpres...holesalers.html

I bought it from a seller on Ebay. Here is a YouTube video of this tablet:

So far, I really like it...fast, responsive. Came with Market preinstalled!

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 18, 2011
Hi -- I have the White one too. The White is not Easy to get. the main 8 inch version (I call the leafTAB-816, but also known as Herotab816, MID816 etc....) is black. You could wait a while for white. That's what I only list Black , so I know no one will buy and have to wait a long while - or end up not being available.