[APP] [WIDGET] NOOK color power button...

mrschmitz

Dec 22, 2010
FYI all you rooted Nook Color users...I made a post about this over at XDA, and thought it was worth mentioning here, too.

As a little side project while working on something else, I came across a way to trick the Nook Color into thinking you actually pressed the physical power button to put it to sleep, so I made a widget for it, since I don't really like the physical power button that much.

Here are the details:

DONATE version with transparency and custom color scheme options, reboot and poweroff options:
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.otis8.nookpowerfull

LITE version with no options:
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.otis8.nookpower

Description, from the Android market:

*** FOR ROOTED NOOKcolor USERS ONLY! ***

NOOKcolor Power Button is a home screen widget that (guess what) is the SAME THING as pressing your power button. So it puts your device to sleep, without reaching for the hardware power button.

This is not just an app that blanks the screen, which is why it requires root. It actually emulates a real press of the power button on your device.

Seriously...it doesn't work at all if you don't have adequate root access to your device. Root access is required for real power button emulation if you are running Eclair (Android 2.1) on your NOOKcolor. (Though I think it will work on Froyo/Honeycomb as well)

Please contact the developer (me, the OP) with any issues!

Last edited:

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
@mrschmitz
Thanks for the contribution and info. Cool idea and would be nice to take some use away from the hardkey. :)

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
won't download for some reason.

Well i know why it wont download for me...sorry about that

mrschmitz

Dec 22, 2010
Thanks all!

I just published a pretty big update to the donate version: custom color selection, and reboot/poweroff/sleep dialog option, etc.

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
Nice, but could you make the icon a wee bit more attractive? It's too big for a 1x1 frame, and it's rather bulky looking. Nice function, just work on the aesthetics and I'll buy it.. Does the full version shut it down totally? As in, not just put it to sleep? That'd be a nice thing to have.

mrschmitz

Dec 22, 2010
Nice, but could you make the icon a wee bit more attractive? It's too big for a 1x1 frame, and it's rather bulky looking. Nice function, just work on the aesthetics and I'll buy it.. Does the full version shut it down totally? As in, not just put it to sleep? That'd be a nice thing to have.

Ah, so you like your Widgets on the skinny side, eh? Icon selection options (including sizing) are on my list.

And yes, the donate version lets you pick options to sleep, reboot, power off (completely), or pop up a dialog to ask which one you want to do. You can also have multiple Widgets with different functions, like one for sleep and one for poweroff/reboot.

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
Question. Since you were able to make a widget for the power button, can you make one for the volume buttons as well? I would pay for that because i could then renal my volume keys to menu and back and maybe drop softkeys altogether...

this post brought to you by AndroidTablets.net app

mrschmitz

Dec 22, 2010
Question. Since you were able to make a widget for the power button, can you make one for the volume buttons as well? I would pay for that because i could then renal my volume keys to menu and back and maybe drop softkeys altogether...

I could, yes.

Are you thinking you'd like that so you could have widgets on the home screen that would match? There are apps in the market to control volume that should work on most Android devices, but if you'd rather have volume widgets that match the sleep/poweroff/etc. my app has, I could add volume control as well sometime...

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
I could, yes.

Are you thinking you'd like that so you could have widgets on the home screen that would match? There are apps in the market to control volume that should work on most Android devices, but if you'd rather have volume widgets that match the sleep/poweroff/etc. my app has, I could add volume control as well sometime...

Yea, i would think a single widget that could replace the functions might be appealing.