Apple Now Going After Motorola Xoom in Europe

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 16, 2011

xoom21.jpg

BRINGING SAMSUNG down wasn't enough for fruit themed phone maker Apple.Apparently it is also suing Motorola in Europe over the Xoom tablet's design.

The news comes after it emerged that Samsung has been forced to remove its Samsung Galaxy 10.1 from the shelves due to its similarities to Apple's Ipad.
When it filed for this injunction, it seems Apple also filed a complaint with the same court over the design of the Motorola Xoom tablet.

Apparently, Apple filed a complaint with the same court, the district court of Düsseldorf, over the design of the Motorola Xoom. However, it doesn't state whether that complaint included a request for a preliminary injunction.

While it's not stated explicitly, it is likely that the complaint against Motorola also asks the court for a temporary EU-wide injunction.
Apple and Motorola are currently suing each other over more than 40 US patents.
Apple's dispute with Motorola began in October 2010, but so far it was not known that it has also branched out to Europe, like Apple's disputes with Samsung and HTC.

Source: Xoom Forums via FOSS Patents

leeb

Jul 16, 2011
apple will not be happy until ANYTHING with a touchscreen is considered 'theirs'...

Perfect example(s) of why I do NOT and WILL NOT buy an apple 'anything'.
(HAVE had the privilege of 'coring' a few tho...)

That is, until they manage to litigate everybody else out of town.
Lookin' toward HP's new box.
:D

f1ddy

Jul 20, 2011
who will be next lol ipad is just a half ass job apple didnt even come up with the idea of a pc tablet

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Well one small ray of hope is that while the German courts are a little more liberal that others in terms of issuing the initial injunction, if when after the actual court decision and hearings it is determined that Apple should not have been given the injunction in the first place, they have to pay damages including punitive.

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
What will be interesting is that if they try this against Archos. Archos has a number of "prior Art" in relation to both Android and Tablets. They are going after Motorola and Samsung as they are obviously seeing these two as competition on the Phone Market. Archos never really entered the Phone Market. Using the dirty one, dirty them all logic. This would work for attempting to mar and impact both Motorola and Samsungs Phone Market as well. Their G9 series uses a USB Modem which is plugged in. This would be no different than a driver set in an existing tablet for a 3G Modem. Granted, the 3G Modem is a seamless integration. It is removable and separate item.

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
This is just the very tip of the iceberg - the thing to watch out for is that Apple and Microsoft jointly purchased a number of Nortel's wireless patents - once they've digested what they've bought, get ready for the mother of all lawsuits against a number of smartphones and tablet makers - and surely Android has a big target painted onit

sharpe351

Jul 2, 2011
So let me get this straight. They build a crap phone with proprietary innards. They build an inferior tablet, that, quite frankly sucks, but they won't let anyone else build and sell an obviously better one? Seriously, this is the worst narcissistic behavior I have ever seen. I was considering purchasing an Apple laptop for use with some graphic design things, but after reading that and a few other things, I cannot push myself to do so. I love android devices, use them everyday. I would hate to see that go away just because Apple stole their idea from Palm (who ran out of money to sue) and turned it into billions.

Jun 29, 2011
The ability to sue because it is rectangular with rounded corners just amazes me. Truly what's right and what's legal don't always line up.
At this point , though I've said in jest always before,I won't be surprised to see Apple sue somebody over the sunrise somewhere.
Why don't they sue those Chinese Apple store knock off/Apple products knock off chain stores that are showing up in China? That is a legitimate reason to sue, not the shape of a particular device

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from an Incredible phone

sharpe351

Jul 2, 2011
If anyone on here has an apple product, look at it really close... Most of it if not all of it nowadays, is made in china. Making it really easy for them to knock off their stuff. Problem is that China has no law against copywright.

Sent from my LG OP V using Tapatalk

Jsmphoto

Jul 10, 2011
Apple sux! I had an internet tablet 4 years ago that ran windows ce, long before the beloved ipadz...but you kno they are the largest corporation in the world!

Sent from my SPH-P100 using Android Tablet Forum

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
all retail apple iphone and ipads are made in china in a sweatshop called foxxcon - they've had a lot of suicides at this factory - 1 Million Workers. 90 Million iPhones. 17 Suicides. Who’s to Blame? | Magazine

If anyone on here has an apple product, look at it really close... Most of it if not all of it nowadays, is made in china. Making it really easy for them to knock off their stuff. Problem is that China has no law against copywright.

tmetravler

Aug 14, 2011
Manufacturers... get a life, what do you want a tablet to look like????

Square, triangle, octagon, etc... tablets always been the rectangular flat shape that does the job... or does Apple want to sue the original Star Trek for "predesigning" what will be their future ipad??? :mad: Take a leap will ya??? (ok so Im dating myself, but look back at those, what was Kirk holding??? yep a tablet...)

I just don't think this has merit or hold water! "Form follows function" someone once said..(ok, bmw) this applies to all similarly shapped cars as well as tablets!
The generic shape does serve its purpose, is there any reason why we need to change designs just to please the idiots??????

No matter what, some designs will be "very close" to someone else's final product. I say embrace it and say that Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
Apple... just do what ya have been doing, everyone else ....do the same, the winners here are the end users, who wish to have options, choices, and their tastes catered to!

Enough said.. well not really as I could go on forever but there are rules on this site and wish not to break any! Have a great day! namaste! Freddy:cool:

sharpe351

Jul 2, 2011
You go Freddy! That was worth the rant and read. Beam me up!