Apply a Factory Reset - (Step by Step with Images)

cfrockit

Dec 26, 2010
Here is a step by step visual description of how to apply a factory reset.

This will reset the device if you are unable to boot it up or want to wipe out all of the applications you have loaded or changes you have made.

SD card data is NOT affected with this process.

Note: If you receive a "No recovery image is found, try recover from SD" message when following these steps, it may be possible to manually update the device to obtain a recovery image. How to manually update SYNET7LP/SYTABEX7 to Android 2.2 "Froyo" Caution: If your tablet was shipped with Android 2.2, DO NOT UPDATE!

STEP 1 - Hold the device with a finger on the screen and fingers on the back "MENU" and "On/Off" keys.
$01holdit.jpg$02menuon.jpg

STEP 2 - Press and hold all three until device displays "infoTMIC" image
$03scmeon.jpg$04inftmc.jpg

When the
"Press the required keys if you want to apply a factory reset.
System will reboot normally in X seconds..."

is displayed ...

STEP 3 - Release "MENU" and "On/Off" keys and immediately press the "MENU" key
$04Pressr.jpg

The device will then display the following screens in sequence without the need for any further key pressing.

"Getting recovery image"

"Extracting recovery data"

"Burning file sysyem ..." (Progress bar displayed)

"Recovery OK!
System will boot in XX seconds ..."

infoTMIC logo

Sylvania logo

Sylvania animation

"Touch corsshair to calibrate"

See these images below

Last edited:

cfrockit

Dec 26, 2010
"Recovery OK!
System will boot in XX seconds ..."
$image011.png

infoTMIC logo
$image013.png

Sylvania logo
$image015.png

Sylvania animation
$image017.png

"Touch corsshair to calibrate"
$image019.png

STEP 4 - Calibrate and the device will display Launcher screen

Congratulations! Now you too can brick your device and bring it back to life over and over again.
Thanks to all who have provided the information needed to present this process.

Last edited:

ImagineThat

Dec 2, 2010
Nice pics, thanks on behalf of everyone that has one of these. I found it easier to press the menu and power buttons with my index/middle fingers and use my thumb to press on the screen. This one-handed method leads to less hand cramping trying to get the right grip on it!

hfcx

Feb 28, 2011
What can I do when the tablet displayed the following and I don't have any files on the SD card? I have the express model by the way.

"No recovery image is found, try recover from SD?

cfrockit

Dec 26, 2010
You could download one of the first identified update files system.bin and put the 52mb file on a blank FAT32 formatted micoSD card and attempt to initiate a factory reset.

Disclaimer: You could brick your device. Also, not sure what combination of key/screen pressing would force to look at SD card.

If you try, let us know what combination worked and if it resulted in allowing you to do a factory reset.

ImagineThat

Dec 2, 2010
Moderators - could we make this sticky? It's gotten burried but very useful for new members that come here lookign for anwsers.

h3nna

Mar 15, 2011
my device will not go past the infotmic logo it will let me do a factory reset but it will hang on the first screen otherwise anybody got a clue?

Rrok007

Nov 21, 2010
So here's the question.

The link for what to do if you get the 'no recovery image found' error leads to the 'how to manually update to froyo 2.2' thread. So for those of us with the express, that's our only option? Part of the reason I'm asking is that I know have a tebex7 stuck at the 'Sylvania" screen and I don't know what the hwver for it is.

st0ne

Mar 1, 2011
I know have a tebex7 stuck at the 'Sylvania" screen and I don't know what the hwver for it is.

I would say this: Try holding the Reset button on the back for a full 10 seconds. See if it will boot. If not try doing the "3 finger salute" (holding the power button AND the menu button AND touch the screen) to boot it... if it will go through the attempt (that will fail) to "recover" your tab it will still work if you flash it.
I know there are at least 2 different HWVR for the EX7. but I don't remember reading about incompatibility issues.
Have you tried the OTG connection yet? if you can get to there you can use ADB to find the HWVR....

Rrok007

Nov 21, 2010
I would say this: Try holding the Reset button on the back for a full 10 seconds. See if it will boot. If not try doing the "3 finger salute" (holding the power button AND the menu button AND touch the screen) to boot it... if it will go through the attempt (that will fail) to "recover" your tab it will still work if you flash it.
I know there are at least 2 different HWVR for the EX7. but I don't remember reading about incompatibility issues.
Have you tried the OTG connection yet? if you can get to there you can use ADB to find the HWVR....

Sadly I've tried both methods. Neither work, it just gets to the Sylvania screen, but no animation. As for the the flashing part, my understanding is that I need to know the hwver before I do that. Even there I'm SoL because of the computers I have access to. One is Win7 64-bit, which I've read doesn't work. The other two are WinXP, cept one is work, so that ain't happening, and the home one has something buggy with the USB. Everytime I connect the tab with the OTG, it shuts off the computer. Yeah I know, weird. My luck with computers has gone to **** since I moved to Florida.

So back to the original question, is flashing to 2.2 the only option? or can I hit back 2.1 somehow?
Other question is, doesn't the non-express version have a recovery section? I thought I read it does. One option I'm considering, since there are two local Sears stores nearby, and that sale is still going on, is to get that one, and then just return the tabex7 to the CVS I bought it from.

cfrockit

Dec 26, 2010
So back to the original question, is flashing to 2.2 the only option? or can I hit back 2.1 somehow?

From your description, you have attempted all of the known reset methods without success. The easiest but not the fastest solution is to contact Digital Gadgets Customer Service and request a Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA) since the device is still under warranty but fails to function.

A 2.1 recovery image for the SYTABEX7 has never been identified.

The recovery image for these tablets is believed to be a complete update file in the *.ius format stored in the mtd2 "resv" partition. During the manual update process, the update file (*.ius) utilized is saved to the mtd2 "resv" partition. After updating, the next time a "factory reset (three finger method)" is attempted the stored *.ius will be extracted and burn to restore the tablet.

Other question is, doesn't the non-express version have a recovery section? I thought I read it does.
Only some tablets had a working "factory reset (three finger method)" but all tablets obtained this functionality after the update process as noted above. Even if they didn't, knowing how to update manually serves the same purpose unless 1) you want to stay at a previous version and don't have *.ius file 2) the "hwver" is unknown, then using an incorrect *.ius could brick the tablet.

Lesson learned - While the tablet is functioning:

Make a copy of your receipt, save the warranty and the contact information for Customer Service

AND

1) confirm the "factory reset (three finger method)" works
2) identify the Hardware ID "hwver"
3) obtain the appropriate update file *.ius (either from the mtd2 "resv" partition or the update server)
4) obtain and explore the use of the update utility
5) ensure your computer can either create a working bootable microSD card or connect via OTG port with the proper drivers

Then enjoy your tablet experience!

Last edited: