Apps That Make A Rooted Nook Color a Super e-Reader

rytyshy

Dec 21, 2010
I have run across several applications since rooting my Nook Color that take the device to another level. I wanted to list my picks and see if other people had some to share.

1) Overdrive Media Console. If you have a library card, your local library probably gives you access to e-pub books and audio books for checkout. With is app on your NC, you can download and read them directly from your device. Note: I did have an issue with getting the files to properly open with Overdrive. To get around this I have to save them to the device then navigate to them using the ASTRO file manager, it seems to know they are associated with Overdrive.

2) Comics. While I am not a huge comic book fan, I was really impressed with how this app pans and zooms around each page of the book for reading. It might make me a comic book fan.

3) Kindle & Google Books. These ones are pretty obvious, but having the power to shop around for the best price on e-books is a nice feature that you don't usually have on a dedicated device.

Other suggestions?

--Ryan

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
2) Comics. While I am not a huge comic book fan, I was really impressed with how this app pans and zooms around each page of the book for reading. It might make me a comic book fan.
--Ryan
Ryan, thanks for the pointer to Comics. That word "free" definitely caught my eye, I'll have to take a closer look!

Another app that has piqued my interest is Dish Network's Remote Access app:

DISH Remote Access - Android app on AppBrain
$Clipboard01.jpg
I know the PC version of TV Everywhere requires Flash...I would assume so does the Android app (for remote viewing). Since the adapter for the Dish 722 receiver is pretty cheap, I may pick one up and give it a try! Um, on my Droid, I mean. Hopefully we'll have Froyo and Flash on the NC before long!

(Even without remote viewing, the app still allows (a) viewing of the schedule and DVR listing, and (b) remote control of the receiver. I don't that that's flash-based.)

-Matt

rltipva

Dec 23, 2010
rytyshy,
I am a newbie to the rooting world and I own a Nook Color. I upgraded from the Nook 1st Gen to the color last month, actually I have three. We have them all on one account so we dont have to buy multiple books. I want to root one of them but I have a few questions I hope you can answer. I plan to upgrade to version 1.0.1 in the next few days so I have read the new easier way to root. 1.) If I do root, will I still be attached to the B&N account and be able to buy books like I do now? 2.) Can I revert back to the normal stock Nook Color if I want to? 3.) can I download apps from the market place alike I currently do on my Droid cell phone? 4.) Will I be able to side load books the same way I do now? (plug into PC and drag and drop into files)
I hope you can help me out or at least point me in the right direction...thanks in advanced.

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
For comics/manga, after trying a couple of other apps, I settled on Perfect Viewer. Has terrific cbr integration.
Markiej, I've been running Comics for a few days and absolutely love it. Noob question: if I run Perfect Viewer, do you think it will be able to load/view the files that I've downloaded with Comics? My sense is that they DO NOT download from Comics in a generic file format. :(

-Matt

markiej

Dec 22, 2010
Markiej, I've been running Comics for a few days and absolutely love it. Noob question: if I run Perfect Viewer, do you think it will be able to load/view the files that I've downloaded with Comics? My sense is that they DO NOT download from Comics in a generic file format

Perfect Viewer can't see Comics from "Comics", nor can "Comics, see CBR's. So having both is probably a good idea (for me anyway).

Comics is one of the reasons why this device is ideal - 1024 x 600 is pretty sweet compared to the resolution of most 7" tablets (800x480?). Manga (many of which are printed in paper-sized books), are perfect without zooming.

Last edited:

rsmcjr

Dec 18, 2010
hi all, i just gave my wife an NC for Christmas, it is now rooted and I'm having a blast with her new toy. Any body have a preference on a Launcher program? I use Launcher Pro on my Droid but it is really phone based.....if there was a tablet based version....hmmmm that would be cool. anybody have any ideas??

csrabear

Dec 25, 2010
hi all, i just gave my wife an NC for Christmas, it is now rooted and I'm having a blast with her new toy. Any body have a preference on a Launcher program? I use Launcher Pro on my Droid but it is really phone based.....if there was a tablet based version....hmmmm that would be cool. anybody have any ideas??

I am using Zeam. It works great for me. You might try ADW just to see if you like it better.

-Ray

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
I am using Zeam. It works great for me. You might try ADW just to see if you like it better.

-Ray
What sold me on Zeam was the app panel at the bottom, which allows several shortcuts to be placed. Although Launcher Pro has a scrolling app bar, I think it only has 5 slots per screen. I haven't seen ADW yet, but I'm wondering what the options are...how many apps can you place on the bottom panel (not including a scroll for multiple screens)?

-Matt

Urbanengine

Dec 29, 2010
What sold me on Zeam was the app panel at the bottom, which allows several shortcuts to be placed. Although Launcher Pro has a scrolling app bar, I think it only has 5 slots per screen. I haven't seen ADW yet, but I'm wondering what the options are...how many apps can you place on the bottom panel (not including a scroll for multiple screens)?

-Matt

I personally use ADW, and i can only tell you that the bottom panel is quite confusing. The generic one only allows 5 apps BUT their is also a hidden one that scrolls separately to the home screens, so you can technically have unlimited. You just have to muck around with the settings to enable it permanently, or you can have it show with a down/up swipe

NCNoob

Dec 29, 2010
I like Zeam, but I can't find the books from the Home Page on it. Is there a way to set the books or library on one of the pages on zeam?

I also loaded Zeam from the Android market.

Last edited:

thel8elvis

Dec 29, 2010
I like Zeam, but I can't find the books from the Home Page on it. Is there a way to set the books or library on one of the pages on zeam?

Do you mean the default B&N book reader ? It is an app called library. In zeam, open the apps page and long press the library app and it will let you place it by dragging it to any of the zeam pages.

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Do you mean the default B&N book reader ? It is an app called library. In zeam, open the apps page and long press the library app and it will let you place it by dragging it to any of the zeam pages.
Good suggestion for getting to the library. As for taking those big juicy book cover images from the B&N home page and getting them over to Zeam, can't really be done.

There is a solution, but it'd be a minor pain:

(1) Install Desktop Visualizer (DV)
(2) Find images of the book covers you want
(3) Use DV to create "widget" shortcuts on your Zeam desktop that use the cover image, and point to the corresponding book

-Matt

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010

Two things you can do:

1. Make a shortcut to the library.
-Go to all apps, long press and hold library app and place on your Zeam home screen.

2. Make a shortcut your a ebook. (Thanks to guys at xda: [How to] Put sideloaded books on homescreen - xda-developers)
-Install Astro File Manager from the market
-Install Desktop Visualizer from the market
-Open Astro and go to preferences. Choose "Edit File Extensions" under Data. Choose "New Extension".

Extension Name: epub (no . in there, just epub)
Mime Type: application
SubType: epub (again, no . in there, just epub)

-Press Save and exit Astro

-Long press on Zeam home screen, Add widget (In Zeam it's "Add Item" then "Widget")
-Select whatever size Desktop Visualizer Widget
-Once your icon is on your home screen, press icon to configure
-Select Icon (Choose whatever you want, or thumb of book)
-Select Action, choose "Other", Choose "ASTRO"
-Find and select your ebook file, rename it if you choose
-Press OK for File Name
-Press OK on bottom of Desktop Visualizer
-Now your icon on homes creen will open your book with B&N NC default reader

Personally I'm happy with the option #1, a direct link to my library on my home.

Last edited:

majakat

Dec 29, 2010
How are you getting overdrive to load the books without using the computer? I saved to my sd card from the library, using opera - but the extension is not recognized

also, google books opens and quits right away, is that working for you?