Archos 28 outed

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
Archos is known to have a fairly decent battery life. I converted my Archos 5 for a while to the Angstrom Developer Linux release. I will say it works, But unless you are a linux junkie or willing to source your apps on your own, it is not for you. I got about 7 hours on my Archos 5/250 Gb unit by really making it dim and just browsing, web radio and low HD use. The HD is the big drain on my unit unlike the Display on the Archos IMT with just Flash storage. I changed it back to the Archos OS when I got my Android Tablet.

I will admit, I like PMPs. They have a use which is perfect for the person who wants the Un-IPod Touch. I have currently three Archos. I use the Archos 5/250 every day. One of the others is my nightstand audio Book player. I will have access to the Archos 7 Home soon and will have a better idea of its capability.

I think it may be possible to get an extended battery life from an Archos 8 series. But the user will have to really be conservative in the features enabled and for how long.

BTW: I did use my Angstrom 5 as a port scanner, Nmap and rogue AP finder. It worked quite well. But that is another story. It is very powerful in a single process mode.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
2.8″ QVGA 320×240.... Not really a tablet? More of a PMP

But this thing is Cortex A8? That's pretty slick

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
@Gurgle

When you used the A5 for intrusion testing, did you use the built-in antenna, or did you hack on a RP-SMA jack for external? From what I read, the built-in ant (as is with many of these pads) was less than robust.

The only thing I can see these for is as DAPs with a limited selection of Android apps/games. There are already lots of more capable DAPs available at cheaper prices. Like I said, weird.

I opened my A5 to check whether it was worth tweaking putting a micro-connector pigtail for an external Antenna. I decided as this was going to be a cube walker, I would look like I was water witching. The built in antenna is not a power house, but can pick up a rogue AP or a PC NIC set to AhHoc Broadcast at 40 ft or less. It met my needs.

I understand what you are trying to do. I think if I were to Make I would go for something like the A5 and install a full Linux like Angstrom. You will otherwise be like me right now, Learning the ins and outs of ADB and shelling your Android to get it to do what you want. The current Android is lightweight for R/C and monitoring. I think it can be done. But I am not a programmer I Make and script as needed.

In regards to Archos, they would not have released Angstrom if there had not been Android on the heels and the ability to root the A5 was so attractive. They were proprietary to the max. I travel a lot, and I found a PMP as a combo Storage/In-flight Viewer/listener very nice compared to lugging out the Notebook only to have it whacked by the seat in front.

I see the current crop of Tablets immature, but the ones coming in the Christmas rush, wooiiieee. The new Tablets will be the ones to purchase for the stability, speed and features. The current crop of E-Bay Tablet will be in in the users back drawer unless they are patient and and understand the growing pains.

Best of Luck

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
I think 3.0/Gingerbread Android will be a turning point. Now you are getting into my philosophies of 3.
History. DOS was lousy until version 3 (Actually 3.3) Windows 3 was the first version of Windows even looking at. Same with Windows NT 3.51. Linux prior to v3 was totally unusable. Then IPhone 3 was the first decent IPhone. The same in my opnion will be said for Gingerbread.

OK so you see where I am going. I think you have a good perspective. The name brands of Tablets released prior to Christmas will be 2.1 or 2.2/Froyo. I think these will be good and stable. But Gingerbread will be wunnerful. But then again, I could be wrong. There was always the loser of the Apple III <3>