Archos 7 Android Tablet could be shipping as early as next week

dandroid

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 15, 2009
There are a lot of people who are looking forward to the Archos 7 Android Tablet. This cheap MID tablet is retailing for only $179 in the U.S. (at least for the 2GB base model) and takes all the great things from the Archos 5 and repackages it in a larger and more affordable form. At a 7-inch size, it certainly appeals to many who want something larger than a 5-inch and not as hulking as 9 or 10-inch tablet.
According to Carrypad, we could be seeing the 8GB version of the Archos 7 Android Tablet shipping as soon as next week. Several German websites (including Geizhals and Amazon.de) have the Archos 7 Android Tablet listed between €179-€199 and shipping “within the next 7 days.”
Now this could just represent some overzealous retailers anxious to get the A7 posted for sale. However, it fits the Archos modus operandi pretty well. We saw a European release for the Archos 9 PC Tablet first followed by a UK and ultimately U.S. release months after launch. Archos could be releasing the more expensive version first and follow up with the 2GB at a later date. There’s still no official word on when the A7 will be released in the U.S. or exactly how much the 8GB version would cost.
Just a note of warning for those looking to buy. As with the Archos 5, Archos has released a previous model in the past. The Archos 7 Internet Media Tablet is sold most everywhere and ranges between $400 to $520. Make sure that you’re buying the Archos 7 Android Tablet if you are looking for the one discussed in this post.

Source: Carrypad

zahne

Apr 5, 2010
So Android allows for the UI of its OS to be optimized for various screen resolutions and aspect ratios. How about apps? Do they share a common link between the OS and themselves for this resolution optimization? If you have an 800x480 screen in 16:9. The OS's UI looks great but what about those apps? Is it strictly on an app to app basis how they will be presented? Hope the question is clear.

dandroid

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 15, 2009
I haven't been able to test out one yet. As soon as I get one, I'll be sure to let ya know :)

So Android allows for the UI of its OS to be optimized for various screen resolutions and aspect ratios. How about apps? Do they share a common link between the OS and themselves for this resolution optimization? If you have an 800x480 screen in 16:9. The OS's UI looks great but what about those apps? Is it strictly on an app to app basis how they will be presented? Hope the question is clear.

happyzax

Apr 17, 2010
Yes, I believe that support for the varying resolutions and aspect ratios will depend on how the app is designed. But I think for the most part, many will work ok.

I am just learning to develop for Android, but it is already clear that they have put a lot of thought into this exact challenge. Designing a good UI that can work in both landscape and portrait is one of the first things that you learn. So I think that many apps will adapt to the new resolutions fairly well.

Last edited:

dandroid

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 15, 2009
I would sure like to see an Android 2.2 update released for the Archos 7. With the speed improvements and Flash support, it would turn this device into the ultimate web browser.

jdelgado

May 11, 2010
I wonder if it will be updated by Archos, I send them an email asking them if there was any plans to update to 2.1 and their response was

"Right now, the unit has Android 1.5. We are not sure if the unit will be updated
to Android 2.1, however, if an update is available, it will be automatically sent
to the unit as a download."

thanks
jdelgado

marmstro

Jun 12, 2010
I just spoke to Archos Tech Support and they said that they can't upgrade to Android 2.x becasue Google requires 3G in the device for certification. They are waiting for Google to change their certification standards.

ZilverZurfarn

May 3, 2010
I just spoke to Archos Tech Support and they said that they can't upgrade to Android 2.x becasue Google requires 3G in the device for certification. They are waiting for Google to change their certification standards.
A piece of bull (or a misunderstanding), as Android (regardless of version) is Open Source, and can be used by anyone. However, to include Google apps (like Market, GMail & cetera) requires certification, but that isn't 2.x specific.

techdaring

Jun 25, 2010
Just waiting for an update released and you will able to download and install it on your android tablet. Don't worry.