Archos 70 - Why so many apps Force Quit

bmurf

Jan 8, 2011
Hey guys, I'm trying to understand how the Android OS works from one device to another and why an app would work on one Android device but not another. For example, I tried to use the CNET app as well as 3d Pool Master on my Archos 70. The CNET app always force closes and the 3D Pool Master will go black for a few seconds then take me back to my home screen. Neither of them work. And I've found this same problem with many other apps.

Is there a translation that Archos has to do from android's base code to theirs so it works with their devices and if so, why? If it's android, why not make a true android compatible device like any native Android device and they should all run apps the same....right? I'm not getting it.

Enlightenment please? :confused:

Thanks,
Brian

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
Stupid question time: How are you acquiring the apps. Are you using Market or direct download or sideloading them? I am using the CNET App without issue on my 101. All versions of Android are tweaked for the firmware. But the same can be said for PCs if you want to use that analogy. You cannot run some videos on a PC without the correct Codec. Or you cannot use a printer without the correct printer driver.
More details and it can assist in diagnosis.

bmurf

Jan 8, 2011
Hmmm, seems like I may be doing this wrong.

Gurgle, I acquired the CNET app through the Google Marketplace. I did the workaround to get the marketplace on my 70 with the Archos APK. CNET seemed to install just fine but will not run.

Thanks all for your answers - at least I know it will run, just have to figure out how!

Brian

vja4Him

Jan 14, 2011
Hmmm, seems like I may be doing this wrong.

Gurgle, I acquired the CNET app through the Google Marketplace. I did the workaround to get the marketplace on my 70 with the Archos APK. CNET seemed to install just fine but will not run.

Thanks all for your answers - at least I know it will run, just have to figure out how!

Brian

Maybe try deleting the app that doesn't work, and then downloading again.

I had trouble with my Archos 70 when I first got it. Had to reformat three times! Spent a lot of time downloading lots of apps all over again, and reloading all my many GB of files.

I've done the Market fix probably something like eight times now. Still a few glitches here and there, but most of the time my Archos runs pretty smooth. Coming home from church on the bus yesterday, I had to run the Disk Utility, which seemed to help a bit.

Bilgediver

Dec 3, 2010
When you reinstall, try only a few apps at a time to test. Remember that Android pre-loads lots of Apps into your RAM and it could be its conflicting with another app already preloaded into your RAM. Just like with Windows, you really can't tell because all you get is a message "Force Close", nothing telling you for what reason! I'm not telling you to use a task killer to keep apps closed, but you could try to use one to close as much as you can before running the App again. Maybe running it completely by itself might get it working.

We have no way of knowing what other apps you've installed on your device. I have CNET installed too I just haven't run it yet.