Archos 70b Internet Tablet Question

techerlink

May 1, 2012
Just joined the forum to ask this question:

I wanted to purchase the archos 70b internet tablet from the archos store, but I noticed that it has Google's Honeycomb, while the other models have Ice Cream Sandwich. Why is this the case? Would I be able to upgrade this to the sandwich?

Sorry if this is a newb question; first time buyer of a tablet, wanted to make sure that I get all questions out of the way :p

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
The Archos 70b is an odd animal. It is not quite a gen9 it is not quite a Gen8. It was introduced as a Gen8.5 and there are 70b units which can be Honeycomb and units which can only be Froyo. I both like and hate Archos for this very reason. My personal opinion is the Archos 70b is an upscale version of their Arnova series. More features, but not really a full Gen9 unit. Thus, I am not putting any bets on it getting ICS 4.x. It is possible, but I am not saying they will.

Rusty22

May 6, 2012
Hi gurgle,
I just joined the site recently. Ordered the Archos 70b just tnite. I'm newbie to Android Tablets. Can U please explain what you mean by
Gen8, Gen 9, and Gen 8.5 pertaining to the Archos product line.?
Thanks.

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
Archos systems have been around for a Loooong time for PMP (Personal Media Players) and have progressed to tablets. Archos gives each new product line a Generation code. That is why there is the G9 for newer 101 and 80 tablets series. The kernel of the OS has always been a Linux until Generation 7/7.5. The Archos 5 Android and Archos 7 Android are Generation 7. The Archos 101/70/43/32/28 and 35 are all Gen 8. The 70b is a Gen 8 and Gen 8.5. The .5 means it is an in between model. It does not fully fit into either the prior or current generation.

Hi gurgle,
I just joined the site recently. Ordered the Archos 70b just tnite. I'm newbie to Android Tablets. Can U please explain what you mean by
Gen8, Gen 9, and Gen 8.5 pertaining to the Archos product line.?
Thanks.