Are the e-bay Android Tablets any good?

Soylent_Geek

May 27, 2010
Hi,

New to the board.... glad I found it....

I am considering picking up one of those fairly cheap Android Tablets off e-bay.

For the price they seem pretty good ... but just wondering how much of a paper weight it is going to be?

Can anyone reccomend one over another and what specs should I be looking for?

Once I pick one up how upgradable are they? Memory, OS, apps etc.

I am very new to this world so I would appreciate some guidance.

D.

MutantCheese

May 18, 2010
My aPad died today. It will not turn on. Seems to be a waste of money. I suggest the Archos 7HT for $199 and 8GB of internal storage. I also have one of those. It's better IMO.

Robt_L

May 28, 2010
Just opened the ups box, plugged it in, turned it on ......... got stuck on the "ANDROID", tried it again this time (after I tapped it a few times) it loaded the screen with the apps. Now I tried to "click" or tap or long tap on the settings icon then all the others... no response. I GOT THE FEELING THAT IT SUCKS. :mad::mad:

MutantCheese

May 18, 2010
I was able to resurrect my apad by plugging and unplugging the power cord. Honestly, I rather the apad functions more than my archos 7HT, but the archos build quality is better.

May 28, 2010
Hi,

New to the board.... glad I found it....

I am considering picking up one of those fairly cheap Android Tablets off e-bay.

For the price they seem pretty good ... but just wondering how much of a paper weight it is going to be?

Can anyone reccomend one over another and what specs should I be looking for?

Once I pick one up how upgradable are they? Memory, OS, apps etc.

I am very new to this world so I would appreciate some guidance.

D.
If you're referring to the "apad" (ipad clones), Ive been searching and searching and asking and asking here and there and the answer is NO, they are cheap toy-like plastic (their design is preety cool thoug) devices full of problems like:

1) can't turn it on
2) can't recharge battery
3) can't recognize memory card
4) bend screen
5) cracked screen
6) can't change language to english
7) no webcam (it's really a 1.3 megapixel camera that doesn't record audio)
8) no 1.3 megapixel camera

... and I can't remember any more but for me I went for the Archos7 through Amazon rather than paying $200 to some guy on the other side of the planet for a device that could bring all these problems and that it could probably last for a little more than 1 year... if im lucky. Well I don't know that's my opinion.

kpennett

May 22, 2010
(About the Archos7 HT)
I have two, only because the first one came dead out of the Box!
Beyond that, The resisitive screen is a pain to touch the corners (Home & Menu) sometimes, yet nothing a 50 cent stylus couldn't easily cure, certainly Not worth complaining about so much; due to it's great resolution making up for it, I use it mostly to watch videos & I play a skeet shooting game, the screen sensitivity is fine for that purpose. I also think it needs 1.6 out of the box & as soon as I root Hopefuly 2.1.

With the right Apps Like, SeePU, Pandora, memory boost & fB, It's quite the lil power house! (Only if you keep an eye on the memory usage & kill tasks)
I could only ask for an accelerometer, Mic, track ball, Bluetooth & Hardware Volume buttons but I'm not complaining about it!
I also found that;
The Apps library included Sucks (Fortunately their are alternatives)
The Included Email client Sucks (Fortunately their are alternatives)
When you use Real Player h.264 720p aspect ratio @ 2.5Mbps for video playback it lags behind the audio! (Looks Great but Sound is off by nearly 7 seconds)
It Some times force Shouts down.
It needs resetting Often (what Android 1.5 Devise doesn't)
Overall, I give it a 7 out of 10...

PS: this is probably not a device I'd suggest for everyone, it's great for an Android Fanatic like myself or, younger child that likes to move around the house alot with your laptop, It's not your average adults primary internet tablet, also it's got a head-rest accessory & travel case for the car, odd that they call it a(Home tablet) Needs to come with a car charger cus if you turn on the Wifi even once, Ya know; to connect through your Nexus W/Froyo portable WiFi-HS, or brighten the screen brigher than LOW the suposed 7 hr battery is reduced to much Less!
& I bought mine for $199 +shipping, Direct from;
http://www.archos.com/products/ht/archos_7/index.html?country=us&lang=en
Hope this helps ;-)

Last edited:

fbales

May 5, 2010
Thanks kpennet, exactly the kind of information I'm looking for. Please continue to report on your likes and dislikes, and how you changed it (aps).

Frank

dgmarks

Apr 16, 2013
Hi all you people out there that are considering buying a tablet from China, PLEASE ! PLEASE ! PLEASE DO NOT BUY FROM ANDROID TABLET BAY, I purchased an Ainol Novo 7 Tornados from them for our Grandaughter for Christmas & after a short period of use will not turn on, I have constantly contacted this company numerous time over the past 2 weeks without a reply, I even took the time & rang them in China & only got a chinese girl on the line which I didnt have a clue what she was talking about, the last message I sent I even threatened them with exposure on this & other sites & apparently they don't give a dam, so in a nutshell the tablet was a complete waste of money & being a pensioner hurts to lose the sort of money that we did plus leaving our Grandaughter broken hearted so be WARNED !!!!!!!!!

DGM>