are we able to install apps to the SD card on the Coby Kyros?

l_n

Dec 28, 2010
Android 2.1 doesn't have app2sd, but there is a hack for another tablet that was worked out in a thread here..

BKenney

Dec 10, 2010
Honestly, I've been looking for a way to install apps to my sdcard. So far haven't found anything while exploring, but maybe I've been looking in the wrong places. L_n where's the thread here?

l_n

Dec 28, 2010
Yep. I would recommend doing a nandroid backup in clockwork recovery before attempting it, though.

BKenney

Dec 10, 2010
I saw that, but theres got to be an easier solution. I don't really want to mess around with formatting and reinstalling everything. :(

hdectablet

Jan 17, 2011
This might be a dumb question.:confused:
I was wondering if this would work to install apps on the SDCard.
Could we just make a Symbolic link from /data/app to /data/app -->sdcard?
i am messing around with it now, but i just wanted to throw it out there.

ln -s locationX/app1 locationY/app1

Performing an 'ln -s [source] [dest]' is creating something called a symbolic link. This is similar to Windows' "shortcut". For example, if we wanted to create a "shortcut" to /system/bin/mycoolprogram on our sdcard, we can do something like this:

Quote:
ln -s /system/bin/mycoolprogram /sdcard/mycoolprogram
Thanks HDECTABLET

l_n

Dec 28, 2010
That won't work because /data is mounted well before the sd card or /nand during the boot process.

GotNet

Jan 1, 2011
All said, the down side to apps on SD is that they don't run when SD is mounted to a PC. Seems there is plenty of room on /nand all things relative. I have a DroidX running 2.2 where this is an issue.

l_n

Dec 28, 2010
you actually move your apps to sd on your X? wow.. the thing has 8GiB of internal storage that *is* mounted to /data... what are you doing that you need to reclaim space on that partition on your X?

btw, /data on the kyros is tiny. i posted to values here in another thread about changing sizes of some of the NAND partitions.